Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Kraxler

Trying to figure out how to reduce the tongue weight. Already moved the spare to the rear on a bumper with swing arm, moved e front box back against the trailer box, mounted the propain bottle on the rear quarter panel and have the rear stabilizer jacks mount the both rear quarter panels. The RTT is slightly aft of center but the batwing sticks out more forward than to the rear. Have a lithium ion battery in the tongue box along with an ac and a solar charger. Also have some empty water tanks under the front of the trailer box. Will try moving the RTT back a bit but can't go too far. Any ideas?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
My setup
Trying to figure out how to reduce the tongue weight. Already moved the spare to the rear on a bumper with swing arm, moved e front box back against the trailer box, mounted the propain bottle on the rear quarter panel and have the rear stabilizer jacks mount the both rear quarter panels. The RTT is slightly aft of center but the batwing sticks out more forward than to the rear. Have a lithium ion battery in the tongue box along with an ac and a solar charger. Also have some empty water tanks under the front of the trailer box. Will try moving the RTT back a bit but can't go too far. Any ideas?

My setup yielded a TW of about 200 pounds.
The oem tongue box weighs 385 pounds I recall.

Last edited:

jojackc

I'm over 330 with the water tanks empty. That's why I'm trying to figure this out.

Ouch if I remember right you installed two 10 gallon tanks in-front of the suspension system. What does the tongue weight go up to with those tanks full?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Simple . U bolts around the frame of the rack through the top of the trailer deck.

I want to spread the load a bit, rather than 4 contact points.
Also that will get the basket rails a bit off the roof of the box.
Cue 5 feet long 1x1 square tube on both side as rails.
Then the included u bolts..... or if I feel like making it better..... one through bolt on each end of the square tubing..... nice none flexible sealed anchor.
Then weld a couple of nuts on top of the tubing...... all off course before a coat of black paint.
Ha..... we shall see.

Kraxler

My scale stops at 325 so I don't know how heavy it is with water in the tanks. And yes, there are 2 20 gal tanks under the front of the main box and a 9 gal between the axles. No place to mount them at the rear of the trailer and when we travel, have the main box full of stuff.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
My scale stops at 325 so I don't know how heavy it is with water in the tanks. And yes, there are 2 20 gal tanks under the front of the main box and a 9 gal between the axles. No place to mount them at the rear of the trailer and when we travel, have the main box full of stuff.

Ouch... 22-25% TW is quite a lot. In reality, only thing that you can do is somehow hang fore stuff aft of the point where the axles bolt on to the body.

bt00561

Does anyone have some lengths of the gas struts used in the Habitat kit? What about the weight rating for them? I am looking at installing some on the trailer for a large CVT tent up top but not a fan of dropping almost $400 on the kit.

jojackc

Does anyone have some lengths of the gas struts used in the Habitat kit? What about the weight rating for them? I am looking at installing some on the trailer for a large CVT tent up top but not a fan of dropping almost $400 on the kit.

I am not sure what ones there are using. But if you dig back to older posts there where a few different versions that others did. I know one of them shared all the info for where to get his.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
My setup

My setup yielded a TW of about 200 pounds.
The oem tongue box weighs 85 pounds I recall.

There is no way the OEM tongue weight is 85 lbs . If that was the case , there would not be so many people talking about how heavy the tongue is.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Spotted this tag on the top deck tie down .

Attachments

• IMG_20200107_124333681.jpg
    IMG_20200107_124333681.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 123

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles