Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

GasPowered

I'm three hours north of Melbourne in Gippsland. A rural area. Fortunately, its thirty minutes to one hour from many great four wheel drive and camping areas. Both State forests and non state forrest areas, where I can take my dog with me. She LOVES to go camping with me.

I got the boxes from Dandenong, which is about an hour out of Melbourne.

Why did you move out of Australia... are you originally from Aus or US ??

I'm originally from the US. I used to work for a multinational company and they sent me down there for a long term project. I had my residence visa and everything.
I used to live in Melbourne, off of Toorak, between Punt and Chapel. The friends I made while there had a place up in Mansfield. We'd head up that way on the weekends, and we often headed up to the Dandenogs as well.

I've been fortunate to travel quite a bit, and Australia is best place I've ever been.
(I've been back several times to visit old friends as well)

Cheers

GasPowered

Kraxler

Spent the last few days in Lake City, CO at a rv park. Wife wanted to try it out someplace "safe". Here are a few pics. Still have to work out a water tast issue. And add som mor lights.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Spent the last few days in Lake City, CO at a rv park. Wife wanted to try it out someplace "safe". Here are a few pics. Still have to work out a water tast issue. And add som mor lights.View attachment 534331View attachment 534332View attachment 534333View attachment 534331View attachment 534332View attachment 534333View attachment 534335View attachment 534337

Looking real good. Welcome to Colorado. Where in NM are you at? I think they cleared most of the avalanche debris by now on the alpine loop. Have a blast.

Catalanbull

If you don't mind me asking, what's the cost?
I've thought about contacting RC as well and asking, but haven't gotten around to it as yet.

Cheers
It'll end up being between $850-1k each :eek:. I had to do several back and forths with their engineering team and each time costed me money. At the end I'll have the blueprints so anyone who wants to have one pm me and you can contact them with the blueprints and you'll save some bucks. Originally I was going to do them of stainless steel but they were about 80 pounds, aluminum is half the weight but twice the $$. Worth it I think.

misubisu

Took my trailer back to the place I bought it for a visit. Henry at 'Jeep Konection' wanted to have a look at my mods. He spent ages examining theme and said he liked what he saw!
JeepKonection visit.jpg

Last edited:

OregonJKU

We just got back from another trip. Here are some pics.
IMG_20190827_103021-1008x756.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190827_102931-1008x756.jpg
    IMG_20190827_102931-1008x756.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20190827_102759-1008x756.jpg
    IMG_20190827_102759-1008x756.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20190826_150901-1008x756.jpg
    IMG_20190826_150901-1008x756.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20190826_150838-1008x756.jpg
    IMG_20190826_150838-1008x756.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 150

Pjacobson

Lots of great pics and information. A quick question, has there been a post detailing a recommended tool kit appropriate for the trailer. What wrenches or sockets would you pack?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Road trip. Visiting daughter in Twin Falls before heading to Colorado.View attachment 521807View attachment 521807View attachment 521808View attachment 521809View attachment 521810View attachment 521811View attachment 521812And some modes done. Moved the tongue box back after relocating the spare tire to the rear. Bought a smittybilt bumper and tire carrier. Had a bracket welded to use the trailers trailer hitch and the two recovery points. Also modified the jack brackets to work with the bumper. Propane tank mounted on a power tank bracket. Also Friday missed up most of the electrical. The ac charger for the lithium ion battery works great. Still need to work out n the solar panel when I get home.

Would you happen to any pictures of how you mounted the bumper ? And a picture without the Trasharoo . This looks like the most inexpensive way to get a rear tire carrier. I saw this bumper on Ebay new for 140.00 with shipping.

Lots of great pics and information. A quick question, has there been a post detailing a recommended tool kit appropriate for the trailer. What wrenches or sockets would you pack?

if i remember correctly i use minimal tools for assembly.
METRIC SIZES: 10,15,16,18,19,21,24
the cable clamps for the brake line could be 7mm or 8mm depending on production run.
forgot what allen for the fenders 5 or 6mm, bumpstop was 8mm. trailer plug has a small allen as well like a 1.5 or it may be a small flat head depending on production run.
#2 phillips
brake adjuster spoon
lug key
test light

sakal02

DONE! I've read all 154 pages through 2 weeks and now entirely confused about what mod to do first...I've been following Silverback (also from another forum), then incredibly talented gantleman with the airplane in the back, then the Porsche towing vehicle ?, then the camping trip in Mexico, whole nine yards. Well done to all of you. Now I am getting ready to restart from page 1 with a Excel spreadsheet to record page numbers and taking a welding class soon...
I picked up a 1st generation used Smittybilt Scout in great shape last week. I will spend a year to see the frequency we use this thing first before I start implementing my mods.
That said, my first goal is to reduce the tongue weight. So on that token, I am looking into moving the spare tire to the back. My challenge is I still want to be able to use a hitch mounted tire rack which I won't have..
Also, I have spare "reinforcement brackets" if anyone needs them. I'm happy to send them for free as long as you cover the shipping.
Alp

thardin68

Congrats and welcome. Mods are a sickness, LOL. Some people are attracted to these simply for the pricing, some as they see it as a great baseline for modifications. I spent many months away from my trailer planning and buying everything under the sun for it, and am now stuck on some major work projects and have done nothing with it! I like your approach, get out there and use it then see what you need to have. Start with the safety items first (you mentioned tongue weight issue), welding some reinforcements, etc.

There are so many great ideas here and so many talented people doing their thing. I love how one thing suits someone just fine and someone else goes completely nuts with it. I have probably over-shot what I NEED, but am planning a 5 month cross country trip with it, so I have to keep some conveniences for the family...

Good luck, have fun. Cant wait to see what you come up with.

plutonic

Outsider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles