Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

jojackc

Great solution!

Keith is correct, it's the extension that causes the problem. Instead of the 1000# being applied 1" from the bend in the hitch you are moving it out about 15". I sketched it up just for future references.View attachment 517840

I don't think anything would happen to the manufactured hitch assy. If anything would fail it would be the plate he welded or the bolt he used. I would put money on the plate. If you think about it the hitch doesn't care if you move the weight farther back. It would be the same as if you extended your tongue on your trailer. I bet if you bought one of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-hitch-extender-69882.html and just mounted your 3 axis to it you would be good to go.

Any custom hitch parts should be tested. I normally make two samples and send one out for lab testing. Just let the lab know you want SAE J684 table 1 class 3. If it passes that, it should be fine on the trailer.

misubisu

Gas struts fitted...
One person can get the tent/awning up and down (easier with two people, but one person can do it).

Attachments

• strut 1.jpg
    strut 1.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 116
  • strut 2.jpg
    strut 2.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 115
  • strut 3.jpg
    strut 3.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 108
  • strut 4.jpg
    strut 4.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 104

misubisu

Moisture under the Smittybilt side panels...
I removed the Smittybilt side panels today, as I have ordered a set of custom built side boxes for the trailer (should arrive in a week). The boxes will need to sit flush with the sides of the tailer. When I pulled them off, the left side one had considerable moisture under it. The the right side on didn't have any at all. The trailer has been under cover for the last month, so hasn't been in any weather.

Seems that having moisture in there, could lead to rust. The rubber sealant was intact, so I don't know how it got in there.
Has anyone else, that has pulled these side panels off, noticed any moisture under them?

Last edited:

TxFireman

Moisture under the Smittybilt side panels...
I removed the Smittybilt side panels today, as I have ordered a set of custom built side boxes for the trailer (should arrive in a week). The boxes will need to sit flush with the sides of the tailer. When I pulled them off, the left side one had considerable moisture under it. The the right side on didn't have any at all. The trailer has been under cover for the last month, so hasn't been in any weather.

Seems that having moisture in there, could lead to rust. The rubber sealant was intact, so I don't know how it got in there.
Has anyone else, that has pulled these side panels off, noticed any moisture under them?

It could just be condensation from warm days and cooler nights. But yeah, it would be better if it wasn't holding it in. I'd like to do side boxes on mine, but I carry a kayak on each side for many of my trips. Mine stays covered 24/7 unless it's in use or being washed/serviced. Makes me wonder if it has any under mine. Probably wouldn't be worth checking right now cause I just washed mine this afternoon, and finally installed my tongue braces from smittybilt. But it might be something I'll check out in a week or so, just to see if it's dry or not.

misubisu

Was this a kit from Habitat Off road? Easy bolt on?
It wasn't a kit.
I calculated the length and pressure I would need based on the weight of the tent, awning and steel framework.
I ordered them online from Gas Struts Australia.
They were very easy to fit. The pressures worked out almost perfectly.
The awning is a very heavy one, so had to be careful calculating the distribution weight for each strut.
Each strut is a different pressure... end result is very good.

Last edited:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Anyone else having problems with uploads in the last few days?
Now the site says picture too large. Was going to post a few pictures of the water fill port added, but 2.95 MB is apparently too much. Wonder what changed.

misubisu

Anyone else having problems with uploads in the last few days?
Now the site says picture too large. Was going to post a few pictures of the water fill port added, but 2.95 MB is apparently too much. Wonder what changed.
I got that message, so I reduced the size of my photos. All good.

rockhound1972

Not that I’m surprised but Chaz at smittybuilt took my 4-6 week eta and added an extra 6-8 weeks to delivery wait. There goes summer :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t feel bad, I bought one back in April. Was told by Ivan that it would be here in 4 weeks. We went and spent another 700 to add to the trailer once we got it. After a month I called for an eta. They said in two weeks. After 6 weeks I called again. Morgan told me I never ordered a trailer. So I gave them the invoice. He said another 2 weeks. I told him that’s what was said two weeks ago. He had Ivan call me, and he said another 3 months.

Now we are fighting with smitybilt and 4 wheel of arts to get a refund. We were told that they could refund over card, now they’re saying nope, we can only refund by check, which will be another week and a half. Smitybilt can go straight to hell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles