Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

jojackc

Thanks for the pictures! Nice hook-up on the additional supports. Bummer on the mattress topper, we were planning to go with a 3" topper, looks like that is a no go.....

I am planning to extend the rack height a bit to allow some additional clearance for things I will need under the tent (Also planning to add some support for the larger tent). Can you tell me what size tires you are running and how much higher you feel the tent could be and still allow the Annex floor to be on the ground? Just trying to see if there is any room to plan to go up a little more than the options as delivered. I'm also 6'5" tall and want to get it as high as we can.

TIA

I'm running 35" tires on my trailer and that annex has slack in it still with the rails as high as they can go. I wish I went with bigger tires. The only way I have been able to get all the slack out of that annex is to pull the trailer onto car ramps for changing your oil. But then you also have to use blocks for your stands. Also it puts the kitchen drawer a bit higher then I would like as well. When on the car ramps you don't want to go all the way up with the rails but I can't remember what pin. I have only done it once so far lol.

jojackc

The last pic shows the bottom with the extra rails to support the overhang. Smittybuilt sent them for free.
Had an issue closing the tent with a mattress topper . It ensue being too thick. Trying to decide if I'll just use the topper without the included mattress, just use the mattress or mattress with a thinner topper. Wife and I will try the mattress in the house tonight to see if it works.

I count six rails on yours how many did yours come with originally? Mine only has two rails on it.

thardin68

I'm running 35" tires on my trailer and that annex has slack in it still with the rails as high as they can go. I wish I went with bigger tires. The only way I have been able to get all the slack out of that annex is to pull the trailer onto car ramps for changing your oil. But then you also have to use blocks for your stands. Also it puts the kitchen drawer a bit higher then I would like as well. When on the car ramps you don't want to go all the way up with the rails but I can't remember what pin. I have only done it once so far lol.
Thanks bud, appreciate the feedback. I am planning to run (2) 48" lund boxes tight on the side of the trailer (hoping I can make them fit, I own them already) with (2) 60" boxes above them (extending over the Genny & Kitchen doors). I am going to remove the adjustable receivers and racks that came with the trailer and planning to weld up something in Aluminum that has 3 risers to support the tent and to provide room for Climate-rite AC unit and a couple of slots for PV panels and camp tables to slide into. The new rack will sit on rails bolted to the top of the trailer, rather than extending over the sides and I will cantilever as necessary to provide support. I'll have to just figure it all out, but comforting to know the Annex has some room to go up a bit more than the trailer can accommodate as delivered. I have spent a lot of time figuring where to put the weight (generator, fridge, battery, electronics, kitchen) and most of the weight is low and centered. So hopefully the additional height will not have a huge negative impact on the trailers manners.

FISHES

Also now available, a space-saving Stabilizer Jack Mount. Feel free to add any questions or comments.
Stablizer_Jack_Mount_Smittybilt_Scout_-_Habitat_Offroad_1024x1024.jpg

My jack mount arrived today! FAST shipping! Cant wait to get it installed.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Hey all. I've been eyeballing this trailer pretty hard. But what do you think happened in this image? And does SB's tongue reinforcement take care of whatever broke here?
Back several
Have been covered extentionally here.
Did you have to remove the top eyebolt hooks? It's looking like I will, or maybe I can grind a bit off the front... I'm about 1/4" from being flush to the side...

Truth be told I dont remember.
I can have a look tomorrow as I have it in the airport.
I did not have to grind anything.
Fit right in.

Kraxler

I count six rails on yours how many did yours come with originally? Mine only has two rails on it.
Mine came with 4 rails. I emailed Smittybuilt and they sent 2 more for free. Not sure why it came with 4 or why I got the others for free.

Every XL tent ive done has 2 rails. I use part#2883-04 which is an additional slide plate rail( aluminum extrusion), they cost about $17. I have added a 3/8" x 1.25" steel reinforcement under the aluminum extrusion and it seems to hold the weight. You can get two ground stakes from home depot for a few bucks, weld them together and then cut down to the tents length.

mmrocek

Observer
I'll be going to Mexico to camp on the beach with friends for 4 days so I finally got to it and started building out the trailer a little more.

first, the trailer needed reinforcement and I didn't want to risk the frame welds failing so some more steel was added:

513789 513790 513791 513792

second, the lighting needed to be setup and I am about 90% done at this time - still need to do interior and rear but here are the photos with what I used:

raxiom wireless accessory controller - https://www.extremeterrain.com/raxiom-wireless-accessory-controller-8717-yj-tj-jk.html mounted on the inside of where my Goal Zero 1250 with additional battery resides (sorry didn't get a pic of it mounted.
The controller comes with a magnetic wireless controller (below pic) and also can be used with an app on your phone. This will make it nice when I need to light up the trail around my trailer at night and want to do it from the jeep while driving, or when sitting by the fire and just want to turn all lights off...

513793 513794

I used a water tight connection to come out, my solar panels are mounted right above it.

Next up, kitchen. made a little table that sits on the fender (will use a bolt with a wing nut to secure) and stores under the tent.

513797 513798 513799

more...

mmrocek

Observer
Tire carrier was next. Not sure how much I like it because it sticks out a bit, but for MX it will do. Might just get a swing away bumper made for a YJ and weld it on.

I have a water heater with faucet coming in, that should fit into the cabinet above where the sink s supposed to be: https://www.mrheater.com/sporting/boss-xb18-battery-operated-shower-system.html
and I have to mount my propane tank, CO2 and fuel where the spare tire used to live.

more to come....

misubisu

My cooker modifications...
Two things that puzzled me; Why they have a lock on the cooker drawer when it's inside a locked door. The drawer lock takes up so much useful space. Why the cooker is designed to go in the wrong way around.
So, I changed both or those things.
  • I cut holes in the right of the drawer to access the gas level knobs.
  • I mounted the cooker in solid with wing nuts, so it can be removed for cleaning.
  • I attache velcro straps to keep the lid closed and stop transit rattling.
  • I removed the lock off the drawer and fitted a plate over the hole.
  • I attached quick release latch to hold the drawer in place while travelling.
I'm happy with the way it turned out.
I do have to buy a longer gas hose, as the one that came with the cooker is way too short to reach the gas bottle.

The cat always sleeps in the front of the Jeep when I leave the door open!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 103

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Did you have to remove the top eyebolt hooks? It's looking like I will, or maybe I can grind a bit off the front... I'm about 1/4" from being flush to the side...

After looking at it, looks like I removed 3 of the 4 eyebolts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles