Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

jojackc

Awesome! That's great. Makes me glad i didn't spend a day getting my trailer inspected by the task force and getting a vin number on my own.

Haha Arizona DMV wanted me to do the same thing. Argued with me up and down that there was no way this trailer was a home built trailer. Told me I would need all three levels of inspections and I could expect to spend at least three days at the DMV. Luckily here in Arizona we also have Third party DMV's. I told the DMV I didn't have time and left. Rolled into a third party about 20 mins later and they gave me a VIN number lol.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I thought it was something fabbedninto the bottom of the tent some how. Looks like a cool box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Did you have to pay full price for the tire version? Just wondering since I ordered a no tire package from Northridge beginning of February and have been waiting for my shipment. I paid 4500 dollars and now i see they are going for 7000, 2500 dollars for 3 tires doesn't quite add up in my mind.

300$ more your mileage may vary I put up a stiff fight and am currently trying to get the delivery location to trade me tire sizes. If I have to buy tires I’d like to get them the size I need. For the record the minimum wheel size is 14”

It comes with 17” and I need a 16” rim size tire to toss on the Nissan rims when I get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geanes

Did you have to pay full price for the tire version? Just wondering since I ordered a no tire package from Northridge beginning of February and have been waiting for my shipment. I paid 4500 dollars and now i see they are going for 7000, 2500 dollars for 3 tires doesn't quite add up in my mind.

The actual retail went up to $5999 from the previous $4999 for the "wheel-less" version (which is apparently not an option any longer) and $6999 from the previous $6499 for the "wheeled" version. Smittybilt has yet to confirm anything to me (despite multiple email requests) as to what improvements were made for the new version. Someone above did outline what those improvements supposedly are. But, Smittybilt has yet to confirm. If you got yours for $4500, then you got lucky as heck.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Haha Arizona DMV wanted me to do the same thing. Argued with me up and down that there was no way this trailer was a home built trailer. Told me I would need all three levels of inspections and I could expect to spend at least three days at the DMV. Luckily here in Arizona we also have Third party DMV's. I told the DMV I didn't have time and left. Rolled into a third party about 20 mins later and they gave me a VIN number lol.
Sweet, my vin number is on its way! I'm sure I'll have an interesting conversation with the tax office when its time to renew my registration.

jaxxonzz

The actual retail went up to $5999 from the previous $4999 for the "wheel-less" version (which is apparently not an option any longer) and $6999 from the previous $6499 for the "wheeled" version. Smittybilt has yet to confirm anything to me (despite multiple email requests) as to what improvements were made for the new version. Someone above did outline what those improvements supposedly are. But, Smittybilt has yet to confirm. If you got yours for $4500, then you got lucky as heck.
I do think I got lucky because Northridge raised their prices on the trailer the day after I ordered mine. I haven’t heard anything from them yet, but if smittybilt isnt going to sell that version anymore and I’m going to have to pay extra, I don’t really want to pay an extra $2500 to just get 3 tires. I have already bought my wheels and tires so I really don’t need them.

thardin68

Recall and VIN# - I called them today to ask about the recall to get a VIN#, as I have not tried to register in CT yet. There is very specific language that indicates to register as a home built trailer, you have to have proof of sale of 3 major components used to build the trailer (Axles, tongue, body, etc). Essentially, I have been told by DMV that in CT, I will likely not be able to register it.

So during my call, I found out they are only issuing VIN numbers for the trailers that were purchased with wheels and tires. Not really sure how I am supposed to register this hunk of metal I have invested a LOT of money in. Looking into other options......

They were really cool on the phone, but I sure didn't hear what I wanted to...

Last edited:

thardin68

Mine is already registered in Texas. If they give me a VIN that's great, but I don't need it.
Wish I could do that in CT. I have been buying all this stuff for the trailer expecting to register it when I return to the States. This recall got me looking into it and CT wont allow you to register a manufactured trailer as home made, therefore unless I have a VIN and MCO, I am SOL, LOL.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Mine is registered in CO. Trooper walked around and checked safety and equipment. Mesa county tax assessed it. Paid taxes. No problem at all. I will ring them tomorrow..... it really dont need the vin, as the state of CO already have issued me one.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Mine is already registered in Texas. If they give me a VIN that's great, but I don't need it.

If you've already registered it then it sounded like they won't send a vin. I told them that I only got tags on mine with out getting it registered.

That is ridiculous that they are only giving them out to ones sold with tires! That just makes no sense.

thardin68

If you've already registered it then it sounded like they won't send a vin. I told them that I only got tags on mine with out getting it registered.

That is ridiculous that they are only giving them out to ones sold with tires! That just makes no sense.
Yeah, Here is the language from the CT Website regarding registering a HomeMade trailer (Which you MUST do if you dont have an MCO or VIN). I spoke with the head guy at Inspections and he will not waiver from the intent of the language and quite honestly, I feel that whatever I tried to do to appease him he would bust my balls and make this not worth doing.

Light weight camp and utility trailers typically contain very few components, summarized as the body, frame, suspension, axles and fenders. Many times, an old used trailer is purchased primarily for one or more of the aforementioned components and subsequently rebuilt. This is to differentiate from the situation where there is a tendency to call a manufactured trailer homemade because the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is no longer visible to match to ownership papers. There are also homemade trailers that are fabricated from all individually purchased components.

Trailer is a motor vehicle meeting the legal definition of a trailer contained in Connecticut General Statute Title 14, 14-1.
In order to qualify as a homemade trailer, it needs to have been composed or assembled from two or more used trailers or three or more of the following complete components shall have been fabricated and/or individually purchased for the assembly of a trailer or for repairs made to rebuild a used trailer:

1. Added, replaced, or rebuilt axle(s).
  2. Fabricated, replaced or rebuilt body.
  3. Fabricated or replaced fenders.
  4. Fabricated or replaced 50 percent or more of the frame. For the purpose of this policy, the tongue section of the frame shall be considered 50 percent regardless of the length of the trailer.
  5. Added or replaced springs and pins of the suspension.
Verification of Homemade Classification
A homemade trailer composed or assembled from the parts of two or more used trailers will need proof of ownership of or receipts for the purchase of the trailers. In order to verify that any one of the previously listed five (5) classifications (qualifying measures) has been accomplished, the following evidence shall be considered acceptable:

• The receipt for an entire purchased complete component.
  • A receipt for purchased assemblies necessary to rebuild a complete component or a repair order indicating the rebuilding of a complete component.
  • The receipt for the fabrication of or the materials for a complete component.
  • Proof of ownership of or the receipt for purchase of a used trailer obtained for its parts or to be rebuilt.
  • Photographs of a rebuilt trailer prior to being rebuilt which clearly show the conditions of complete components replaced.
  • For any components fabricated from materials on hand for which no receipt is generally available, the person shall sign under penalty of false statement an affidavit attesting to the type and source of the individual pieces of material.
Note - They have a completely different process for dealing with missing VIN numbers and that takes you in a direction I simply wont go (insanity).

I am struggling to maintain a positive outlook at the moment and considering that maybe I made a poor choice. Unfortunately, I have invested in about $10K in additional items planned specifically for this trailer build and all are sitting in a garage waiting for my return to the USA. I have 6 weeks from return to register, do the build, shake down and leave on a planned 5 month cross country adventure. Trying REALLY HARD to not slam SB. They have a great idea / platform and they have been great about everything I have dealt with them on.....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles