Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

garrett93

Observer
Looking at a pre-owned model this week. Too good of a deal to pass on. He said he's had it for a year and a half and used it two trips. What all should I be looking at on the trailer? I've read through this whole thread. Seems like the common issues are the weld being too ground down/not reinforced and the stove tray.

Russell Coight

Works pretty good. I've done it by myself but it's easier with 2 people. The struts have a nice amount of force so up is very easy with one person. Down is a little trickier. Getting 2 bodies pulling down at the same rate and force is the issue. I had my daughter help this afternoon and she had a hard time applying enough force down. So I had her pull down and I went back an forth from side to side to even things out. Took maybe 3 minutes to get down. With a little practice I'm sure it would go faster and smoother.

I have put gas struts in my RTT but not the habitat kit.... mine was also quite difficult to lower for just one person (two was fine) . If I am by myself I have found the best way is to climb on top of the folded tent and use your weight to lower it. Then just lean over and install the pins. Alternatively do the same thing but have someone else install the pins

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Looking at a pre-owned model this week. Too good of a deal to pass on. He said he's had it for a year and a half and used it two trips. What all should I be looking at on the trailer? I've read through this whole thread. Seems like the common issues are the weld being too ground down/not reinforced and the stove tray.

There is really only one weak spot. As you mentioned the welds on some trailers, mine included, in the tongue bend. If you see any cracks in the welds then you have an issue, that will show itself over time. we all added some pictures earlier in this thread of our cracked welds. That should give you an idea of what to look for. That being the case, it is not like a transmission that will blow up, unless fixed, from a cost stand point. A local welder can fix this for as little as a few hundred dollars. It is not rocket science, just bad welds. If there are bad welds, just take it to a welder and have it fixed.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I have put gas struts in my RTT but not the habitat kit.... mine was also quite difficult to lower for just one person (two was fine) . If I am by myself I have found the best way is to climb on top of the folded tent and use your weight to lower it. Then just lean over and install the pins. Alternatively do the same thing but have someone else install the pins

I’d be interested in a how to on that if your in the sharing mindframe :)
The gas strut mod that is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverback07

Adventurer
Yeah, It's come down a LOT since I bought it. I bought it last June and paid $124. I ended up buying another one when I went searching for the link and saw how cheap it was. I'll figure out someplace to put it. LOL

misubisu

Picked up my trailer today. It was assembled by the place I purchased it from, so that saved me some time.
Put in a fridge today, but had to relocate the tie down points as they were not in the correct place for the 60 litre fridge that I bought.
Got some beers in there cooling down! Got a few things to do to it before the weekend... Easter 4 day weekend down here in Australia... Looking forward to dragging the scout trailer a few hundred kilometres. I'll keep you posted on any updates that I do.

I definitely want to fit some gas struts!

Attachments

• scout 1.jpg
    scout 1.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 119
  • scout 2.jpg
    scout 2.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 119

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Plot twist! 4wp called me yesterday and said Smitty cannot import wheelers trailers and they would have to sell me the trailer with the wheels or not sell it to me at all. So I’m buying a trailer with wheels now :( I’m hoping the store manager will trade me the tires and wheels for at least tires in the size I need :(

jaxxonzz

Plot twist! 4wp called me yesterday and said Smitty cannot import wheelers trailers and they would have to sell me the trailer with the wheels or not sell it to me at all. So I’m buying a trailer with wheels now :( I’m hoping the store manager will trade me the tires and wheels for at least tires in the size I need :(

Did you have to pay full price for the tire version? Just wondering since I ordered a no tire package from Northridge beginning of February and have been waiting for my shipment. I paid 4500 dollars and now i see they are going for 7000, 2500 dollars for 3 tires doesn't quite add up in my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles