Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

mmrocek

Observer
Did you have full weight on the suspension and grease all the bushings before torquing the cam bolts? What pressure are you running the tires at?

That's the thing, not sure if running enough weight. should probably hit us a measuring station. Does anyone have their weight when fully loaded? The tires are running at 20 psi offroad.

bshinn

That's the thing, not sure if running enough weight. should probably hit us a measuring station. Does anyone have their weight when fully loaded? The tires are running at 20 psi offroad.
If you have a Vulcan or Martin Marietta rock quarry close by, you can probably roll over their scales if you schmooze the lady in the scale house.

Last edited:

thardin68

I'm pretty sure XJOverlander was simply indicating that the trailer should have the weight on the suspension (on the ground) before you tighten the hardware. Always a good practice on any suspension item. Pack it up as you would use it, loosen the hardware and jump on it to cycle a bit, then torque everything back to spec. Obviously if you have already done an alignment, you will need to repeat the process with the trailer loaded for best results.

Getting an actual weight on the scales is only good for piece of mind maybe to know your situation. Not necessary to properly adjust suspension.

Reactions: GAC

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
What have you guys done to modify your suspension? Mine seems to ride too harsh, bounce around and not really cycle much. Thinking of a softer coil... Or maybe it needs more weight? I have an arb elements fridge, GZ 1250+extra battery and some camping chairs inside. Tent, awning and water on top.

View attachment 508512
What air pressure are you running ? With the load rating of the tires and the light weight of the trailer I would venture the tires are over-inflated.

mmrocek

Observer
I'm pretty sure XJOverlander was simply indicating that the trailer should have the weight on the suspension (on the ground) before you tighten the hardware. Always a good practice on any suspension item. Pack it up as you would use it, loosen the hardware and jump on it to cycle a bit, then torque everything back to spec. Obviously if you have already done an alignment, you will need to repeat the process with the trailer loaded for best results.

Getting an actual weight on the scales is only good for piece of mind maybe to know your situation. Not necessary to properly adjust suspension.

Ah, yes. When assembling it I did have it on the ground before torquing the bolts. I'll do the loosen, pack, jump, tighten. Maybe add more grease. Thanks!

Kraxler

How are you mounting the solar panels? Also, the risers for the self for your water tank, plywood? Thanks.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Just dropped my order with 4wp 5399$ to San Jose. I ordered without wheels or tires. Need to adapt to Nissan Xterra hub pattern. A while back somebody was talking about making an adaptor did that ever come to life? I’d be interested in a set :)

Can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
How are you mounting the solar panels? Also, the risers for the self for your water tank, plywood? Thanks.

What boxes did you use on the D/S of the trailer? Are the lids flat on the inside so they can be used as a table? Thanks

thardin68

Just dropped my order with 4wp 5399$ to San Jose. I ordered without wheels or tires. Need to adapt to Nissan Xterra hub pattern. A while back somebody was talking about making an adaptor did that ever come to life? I’d be interested in a set :)

Good luck with the build. These things are a great baseline to modify any way you like. Or for a simple trip, ready right out of the box. Have fun if you do mod it and don't let your wife see the bills....

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer

Did they give you a delivery ETA ?

thardin68

“Weeks, we will call you when it’s in”

Mine arrived in 6 weeks from China. Once the order was made, 4wp was pretty much out of the picture until it showed up and I got notification from the local receiver. Not a dig on 4wp, they have been great.

Catabler

Mine arrived in 6 weeks from China. Once the order was made, 4wp was pretty much out of the picture until it showed up and I got notification from the local receiver. Not a dig on 4wp, they have been great.

I ordered 28 Feb from Northridge and still waiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles