Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
If you have a good trailer store like western impliments or any I suppose they will carry a replacement 30 inch long jack for about $60. I am looking hard on the ARK 7, and 950, I think it is called, but for $250-300, it is a bit hard to swallow. ( says the idiom just making a $700 CF tounge box... Ha ha ha ha ha)

ArkPak has a jack for $175.00 The XO350

Catabler

Well the new one has a much better tongue, better sliders for the drawers, using high end e-coating on a lot of parts. as you know there is that great 25% tariff this year, they are eating a large percent of that increase to keep the retail cost down. you are also only looking at the suggested retail of 5999, they removed the price protection so you can negotiate price with a retailer. You can find the kit with tires and wheels for 6250.
Ordered the end of February without wheels and still waiting on delivery. ?508384

thardin68

I just need it to jack up high enough. I checked etrailers.com and can't find one. Before I venture out to locate one locally I'll see what SB says.. but at this point it nothing. ?

Extends to 28" tall according to literature. BEEFY! $270 for the 750 model and $220 for the 500 model. Watch torture tests winching trailer from tongue through mud and ruts. Sold me......

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I ordered mine without tires and wheels . Smittybilt want 1K for them . I can get the same for about half that price.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Link to box. https://www.amazon.com/Dee-Zee-M207...502373086&sr=8-1&keywords=dee+zee+atv+toolbox

Note this thing is NOT designed to sit in this direction, its aluminum and if you put large heavy items in it I'm sure it would bend. I added some large fender washers to each mounting bolt and only plan to store light weight items inside it. I would not store tools or spare parts inside it. JMHO.

Why didn't you mount the box on the fender and the side of the trailer instead of hanging it on the side. Just curious. Thanks

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Just verified, the space between the two supports is 35.75". So the Jobox ones would be a very tight squeeze and probably require some more fabrication.

Couldn't the box be mounted on the fender and in front of the supports? Use a spacer when mounting the box to the side of the trailer?

geanes

Well the new one has a much better tongue, better sliders for the drawers, using high end e-coating on a lot of parts. as you know there is that great 25% tariff this year, they are eating a large percent of that increase to keep the retail cost down. you are also only looking at the suggested retail of 5999, they removed the price protection so you can negotiate price with a retailer. You can find the kit with tires and wheels for 6250.

Where is that info available? I reached out to Smittybilt on FB and via their contact us on their site and got no response. Their site doesn't indicate the updated features...just looks like a copy/paste from the previous version. 4WheelParts had no idea nor did Quadratec. If those are indeed the upgrades, then the price seems fair...even at a high of $5999. Figured the tariff had something to do with it as well. Do you happen to know what makes the new tongue better?

Silverback07

Adventurer

Extends to 28" tall according to literature. BEEFY! $270 for the $750 model and $220 for the 500 model. Watch torture tests winching trailer from tongue through mud and ruts. Sold me......

EDIT: I now see that it can be mounted at any height. Anyone got pics of it on their trailer?

Last edited:

mmrocek

Observer
What have you guys done to modify your suspension? Mine seems to ride too harsh, bounce around and not really cycle much. Thinking of a softer coil... Or maybe it needs more weight? I have an arb elements fridge, GZ 1250+extra battery and some camping chairs inside. Tent, awning and water on top.

Silverback07

Adventurer
Couldn't the box be mounted on the fender and in front of the supports? Use a spacer when mounting the box to the side of the trailer?

Sure but I just wanted it to look a little cleaner. But those are options. Where I mounted my rear stabilizer jacks would have been an issue had I went wider and mounted on the tent supports.

Silverback07

Adventurer
SB got back to me on the replacement jack and jockey wheel.. $114. I did some more looking into the XO jack and I just don't think it will go high enough.

Right now my trailer is sitting at its max height, and its no where near as high as I need it to be to clear my Max Coupler. It may be possible but I'll need to include some 4x4 blocks to get it up onto. Not a huge deal since I put a second flat footed jack on the right side of the tongue. But it will increase the time required to hook up and go.

Where is that info available? I reached out to Smittybilt on FB and via their contact us on their site and got no response. Their site doesn't indicate the updated features...just looks like a copy/paste from the previous version. 4WheelParts had no idea nor did Quadratec. If those are indeed the upgrades, then the price seems fair...even at a high of $5999. Figured the tariff had something to do with it as well. Do you happen to know what makes the new tongue better?

Updates as I heard from talking to one of the smitty guys

Front plate welded under the hitch is beefier, it goes back a few more inches and ties into the first cross bar on the tongue along the bottom. Also has a center spine that runs to the first main cross member on the box and tongue attaches to that with a M16 hardware. Reinforcement gussets along bottom of the tongue where it starts to taper down at a 35° angle.

Side sliders are 75kg and rears are 100kg but they still are giving them the same advertised capacity for a safety factor.

Body and sheet metal are cold rolled, e-coated and then powder coated. The frame and tubular parts including trailing arms and tongue are DOM hot dipped galvanized after welding, e-coated then powder coated.

They will also have a vin and mco for easier registration / titling process.

What have you guys done to modify your suspension? Mine seems to ride too harsh, bounce around and not really cycle much. Thinking of a softer coil... Or maybe it needs more weight? I have an arb elements fridge, GZ 1250+extra battery and some camping chairs inside. Tent, awning and water on top.

View attachment 508512

Did you have full weight on the suspension and grease all the bushings before torquing the cam bolts? What pressure are you running the tires at?

geanes

Updates as I heard from talking to one of the smitty guys

Front plate welded under the hitch is beefier, it goes back a few more inches and ties into the first cross bar on the tongue along the bottom. Also has a center spine that runs to the first main cross member on the box and tongue attaches to that with a M16 hardware. Reinforcement gussets along bottom of the tongue where it starts to taper down at a 35° angle.

Side sliders are 75kg and rears are 100kg but they still are giving them the same advertised capacity for a safety factor.

Body and sheet metal are cold rolled, e-coated and then powder coated. The frame and tubular parts including trailing arms and tongue are DOM hot dipped galvanized after welding, e-coated then powder coated.

They will also have a vin and mco for easier registration / titling process.

AWESOME! Those are worth WAAAAAY more than the price increase for sure. Thanks for detailing that. Those are all the issues I recall people mentioning as shortcomings previously. Very happy they addressed those at an exceptionally reasonable pricepoint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94