Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Here are a couple of pictures of my electrical setup. I will probably have more details on the thread below that Hoologan started. Got many of my ideas from there.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...ly-expo-trailer-build-recommendations.199283/

Pertinent to the Scout specifically, I decided to build a shelf in the generator box for a couple reasons. I used a heavy golf cart battery (Trojan T 1275 12v, 150Ah 80lbs plus)) and wanted to keep it closer to the axle in consideration of the tongue weight. I am still able to use the pullout drawer for storage. Put in a 12 (cig lighter) for the Dometic fridge and ports for solar and shore connections. A simple alternator charger just to top off when driving. Interior lights are motion sensor and will eventually add a water pump system (I hope). As usual a ton of fun and some frustration along the way. A big thank you to my friend Mike who helped me in the set up. The truth be told, I didn't even know what an amp really was before the project started
View attachment 498769View attachment 498757View attachment 498770

View attachment 498759View attachment 498766View attachment 498762View attachment 498756View attachment 498768

Looking good.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
It........is...... fiiiiinisshed....... whooooheeeee.
All I had was gloss uv protective urethane coat. So I tinkered a bit with flow pattern, volume and rate.
You can push a bit more air and less liquid. Sorta like a bit drier..... and the gloss has a bit of texture or should I say satin finish.
Jack Daniel's time.
Cheeeeeeers.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
So... the verdict is in.
The old tongue box weight was 62 pounds and the steel plate 25 pounds for a total of 87 pounds dead front weight.
The new composite twice as big tongue box weight is 45 pounds.
It is a few pounds more that I thought but as it is twice as big, a 50% in weight reduction is still respecatble.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Has anyone made a single bike mount on the trailer? I have a hitch mount but it only hold 2 bikes. Need another one for my sons bike. Thinking something off the tent risers

Hoologan

Has anyone made a single bike mount on the trailer? I have a hitch mount but it only hold 2 bikes. Need another one for my sons bike. Thinking something off the tent risers

I'm considering doing this as well so I can get my bike off the rear as it makes getting into the rear door a pain. I would do exactly what you suggested, right off the tent risers over the passenger side fender.

jojackc

These finally showed up at my door. So relived. I have a trip the first week of April to out side of Reno. Was afraid they weren't gonna show up in time. Now I just got to figure out how to install them.... no instructions lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20190305_161135.jpg
    IMG_20190305_161135.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 84

bobebm

These finally showed up at my door. So relived. I have a trip the first week of April to out side of Reno. Was afraid they weren't gonna show up in time. Now I just got to figure out how to install them.... no instructions lol.
Just got mine today also. Wondering where the half round washers go.

they bolt up to existing holes. the tongue to frame 14mm bolts need to be removed along with one of the spare tire mount and tongue box mounting bolts. Then replace hardware with the longer bolts. Make sure you get everything installed loosely before tightening down. The large washers go between the place and the lock washer then nut. the cut washer is used on the top side of the spare tire rack, and the full ones are used on the top for the tongue box and other spare tire mounting bolt.

Michal4Runner

This is probably a good place for us to jump in. We recently purchased the trailer in October. We considered several other choices and came very close to buying another (much more expensive) trailer and read this thread that convince us to go with the Scout. I have to pay homage like everybody else and thank all who have contributed. WBWOOD don’t look at it as necessary a finished product but a starting point. It is capable enough as it is but it can be a great project to customize. My wife and I (with suggestions from my daughters) are having fun with the build. Just some initial quick comments; Bought at Northridge 4x4 with the discount code without wheels, because we were fortunate to find the identical wheels (AEV Savegres) and tires as my jeep on Offer up for a very good price. The tires were 37 so a little larger than the 35s on my jeep. May swap them out to match size later. To my surprise there wasn’t much of a wait (less than 2 weeks) and unlike other sellers they delivered all the way to our home inside my garage. Contacted SB right away and they are sending the reinforcement brackets. It is not a perfect trailer, but we are very happy so far with the product and service. The basic build is done, professionally aligned, and registered with the DMV. Spent two nights in the backyard and family loves it (including the german shepherd). Now we are off to the modifications with our first real camping excursion in a couple of weeks (Anza Borrego)

Thank you all again for your input and hope we can add suggestions and completed project ideas as they get done.

What tent is it? Do you think that would work for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids? Thanks!

jojackc

What tent is it? Do you think that would work for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids? Thanks!

So I have a Family of four. My wife, two girls (4 and 8), my fat self fit just fine in the smittybult XL roof top tent. We also purchased the annex with the plan to have the girls sleep down there with an air up mattress. The girls want to sleep up top though lol. The dog (a 90lb blue tick coon hound) gets the annex all to her self lol. It could easily fit a queen size air up mattress and the dog though. I have read other people having problems with the XL roof top tent bending on them when put on the trailer. I have not had this issue. But I will say that the Annex does not fit right on the trailer. Even on the max pin setting the annex is not high enough. I have fixed this by bringing car ramps with me that you would work on your car with. I drive the trailer onto them. Then use those huge plastic lego type trailer helpers to level out the trailer. I plan on building new tent risers that are much longer then can just raise the tent to the right level. I would also like to make a set up where the tent assembly can be pushed out from the trailer once in place. Even if I raise the annex it is still too close to the tire. I could off set it but I feel like towing would feel it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles