Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

YYCRod

It is the XO from ARK (there is thread on that product also). Looks like a great product but runs about $250 to $300. Great, If you needed to drag the trailer out of some real ugly terrain (see their videos), but for our missions/trips that would be an extreme and unlikely scenario. Still considered it but since it only extended 29.50 and with 37s it just wasn't quite enough. Decided to go with the the Etrailer jack that extends to 31.5 for only about $ 40. It is nice not to rely on a single point of support on the front.

I installed an XO last summer. Awsome jack wheel. Much more solid than the stock one. If I recall it was about $300, but worth it imho. I had to drill 2 holes in the XO mounting plate as the stock mounting plate on the trailer didn’t line up exactly. Other than that it was bolt on.

So, I have these stock JK wheels that have 6.25" backspacing. If I just get these 2" spacers, i should be good, right?
https://wheeladaptersusa.com/produc...-adapters-fits-wj-wk-jk-xk-2-inch-thick-5x127

you might want to do a 2.5" with those 37" tires, bu t i think 2" should be ok. the stock rim is a little narrow for that wide of a tire and you may get some wear issues. I did a 1.5" spacer with OEM rubicon tires and wheels and it was close but nothing to worry about. then did some 20x9.5" with 6.25" bs and ran a 2" spacer with 37x12.50r20 tires.

Catabler

you might want to do a 2.5" with those 37" tires, bu t i think 2" should be ok. the stock rim is a little narrow for that wide of a tire and you may get some wear issues. I did a 1.5" spacer with OEM rubicon tires and wheels and it was close but nothing to worry about. then did some 20x9.5" with 6.25" bs and ran a 2" spacer with 37x12.50r20 tires.

I do not have 37s. They are the stock 285/70/17 KO2s. Sounds like I’ll be fine. Thanks for the response.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
How about a piece of stainless for the latch? It may add some ounces though. :)

I did consider that but as I feel quite comfortable working the composite latch, I went that route.
The heavy'er weight would not concerned me. What always is a concern when mixing alloys and composites are two main areas. Bonding and galvanic corrosion.
Granted..... you could bolt the latch to the lid and stainless is one of the least susceptible alloys to cause galvanic corrosion.
But instead I wants to distribute the pressure load via a wide plate bonded to the lid. This way the whole lid acts as part of the structure rather than just a few bolts.
This will be much stronger and lighter. What I have now is just the beginning.
You'll see..... :)

Silverback07

Adventurer
It looks great man. I was being a bit factious about the adding ounces. :) I like the idea of spreading the load though, good point. Can't wait to see it completed. (y)

ebrabaek

Adventurer
It looks great man. I was being a bit factious about the adding ounces. :) I like the idea of spreading the load though, good point. Can't wait to see it completed. (y)

It made me smile.... :):) I am on the end sprint now. The latch was almost finished today. It is curing now, and will just need a bit of trimming tomorrow, with an added side brace. It has been a long journey, but as with my projects, they tend to reward me well... :).
I suspect that I will finish that this week, and then next week it will get a layer of clear/satin coat to help against the bombardment of UV rays.
Added gas strut, and edges are now black rather than grey.
20190226_113843.jpg

Silverback07

Adventurer
Looks great. Aside from the screws will it be affixed to the lid via some sort of epoxy? Sorry, I know jack squat about working with carbon fiber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94