Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

YYCRod

I received the updated stove drawer and reinforcement brackets about 3 weeks ago from Matt. Took about 3 weeks after I contacted him.

Kraxler

I got 3 drawers over a 2 week period. Have been trying to return 2 for over a month now and can’t get a mailing label. Also no word on the reinforcement bracket. Wonder if SEMA is part of the issue.

Wynn

Wanderer
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait longer for a response. Wonder if Smittybilt is aware of this thread as I'm sure many people have purchased the trailer based on the discussion here, myself included. It would go a long way to see them taking care of their customers.

thardin68

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait longer for a response. Wonder if Smittybilt is aware of this thread as I'm sure many people have purchased the trailer based on the discussion here, myself included. It would go a long way to see them taking care of their customers.
They are very aware of this thread. I was sure to discuss it with them when bringing up my issues, assuming it would escalate the issue. It appeared to.

Unfortunately, I am out of the country and can not verify what was delivered based on my tickets....

Hoologan

Thanks @Silverback07 Yes, I'm very pleased and my wife is absolutely stoked! The seller (on this forum) was fantastic to work with.

I've got an email out to Smittybilt to procure a new style stove drawer, and I've already pulled the tent and rack off to fabricate an extension to support the front overhang of the XL tent. The propane bottle and spare tire carrier came off and I'm just working through the placement of those items as well as a water tank and water heater/pump. I'm thinking about mounting the Eccotemp L5 in the generator compartment door similar to what Habitat did. Fun stuff!

I wanted to do a complete home build, just don't have the time between working out of town and having a 3.5 y/o at home.

Silverback07

Adventurer
I recommend the front overhang extension for longer tents. Good call. I also was going to do a home built unit and have all the gear to do so. But the one thing, like you, that was lacking was time. Overall I'm happy with my purchase. Heck I still have a water setup I need to install. One of these "free weekends". LOL

Kraxler

So I was thinking, I know a dangerous thing, what about shortening the tongue? If e spare tire is mounted on the rear then that space could be " cut" out of the tongue and lower the tongue weight that much more. The whole lever arm thing. Any thoughts?

Silverback07

Adventurer
Since the front is a single piece you could do it. I'm not so sure I would reuse the SB stuff, more than likely just copy and build my own. If you don't need the space then its probably a good idea. If I was to do it I would also make the front receiver for the tongue mount about 10" longer. I have the MaxCoupler with the 18" extension and have still managed to get it bound up with my rear swingout bumpers jerry can holder while turning over very rough terrain. I'd like another 10" or so but don't want the MaxCoupler extension that long. Jerry can holder got on top of the jockey wheel handle area.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
So I was thinking, I know a dangerous thing, what about shortening the tongue? If e spare tire is mounted on the rear then that space could be " cut" out of the tongue and lower the tongue weight that much more. The whole lever arm thing. Any thoughts?
The handling characteristics of the trailer would change. It would track closer to the tow vehicle when turning. But backing up would become more difficult as shorter trailers require less input and respond faster. Like @Silverback07 said, I'd lengthen the front receiver as well, for his reasoning and to make it where I could get in the back of the jeep.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I would echo TKH's assessment. The trailer tows so sweet as it sits now. If you shorten the tongue, there is a chance it would fishtail, or any of the other traits of short tongue. This is off course hard to say, as the wheels sit far back, you might be ok, but it is such a sweet ride, I personally would not mess with it. But off course I am about to build a composite front box, so I love that extra arm.

Kraxler

I don't have the skill or know how to shorten the tongue. It was a thought experement to try and lighten the hitch weight. Yall make good points about towing stability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles