Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Kraxler

Looks like you built a reenforcing cage for the front of the RTT. For my Smittybuilt RTT XL, I used extra rails that came with the tent and some more that I had them send me. I now have a total of 6rails supporting the tent. Still need to attach them to the tent platform and the cross rails though. I think, hope that will be enough. Pics to follow seeing as I’m on a business trip right now.

Do you have two hoses for the ac unit for input and output?

OregonJKU

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Looks like you built a reenforcing cage for the front of the RTT. For my Smittybuilt RTT XL, I used extra rails that came with the tent and some more that I had them send me. I now have a total of 6rails supporting the tent. Still need to attach them to the tent platform and the cross rails though. I think, hope that will be enough. Pics to follow seeing as I’m on a business trip right now.

Do you have two hoses for the ac unit for input and output?
Yeah, the front edge of the tent was beginning to sag so I needed to support it. I also used the reinforcement to create a shelf for a table. One hose is output and the other is the return.

@OregonJKU, the griddle worked great. The burner is as a basecamp double burner angle iron stove. The griddle is little griddle sq180. I put camp chef flame tamers under the griddle to keep it from getting hot spots. It did great. It'll take a little while to get the heat settings just right, but I love it already.

Silverback07

Adventurer
I reinforced the front of mine as well, my CVT Mt Rainer over hung the front about 2' and that is the spot my heavy butt was sleeping. i figured it would be better to do it before it started sagging.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Guys, I need some help with onboard electrical. I’m not sure where to go next. And I fee like I’ve been going I circles with Google and various forums.

My goal is at least one onboard battery that can be charged from the tow vehicle and shore power. I want to at least power my fridge (ARB 50qt) for long weekends. Camp lights, charging station, and solar will probably be in my future. But I’m stuck on figuring out the basics.

Conceptually, I understand I need some sort of DC to DC charger. A fuse system. Switches and outlets. A voltmeter. Can any one point me to a 101-level resource that they’ve found useful? I’m also trying to figure out if I can get the basics in without burning $1k.

Thanks in advance

Hoologan

Guys, I need some help with onboard electrical. I’m not sure where to go next. And I fee like I’ve been going I circles with Google and various forums.

My goal is at least one onboard battery that can be charged from the tow vehicle and shore power. I want to at least power my fridge (ARB 50qt) for long weekends. Camp lights, charging station, and solar will probably be in my future. But I’m stuck on figuring out the basics.

Conceptually, I understand I need some sort of DC to DC charger. A fuse system. Switches and outlets. A voltmeter. Can any one point me to a 101-level resource that they’ve found useful? I’m also trying to figure out if I can get the basics in without burning $1k.

Thanks in advance

I just posted the same question this morning.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...er-build-recommendations.199283/#post-2548951

ebrabaek

Adventurer
There are several battery system setup explanations a bit earlier in the thread. Have you looked at those to see if any of those would fit your budget. There are model numbers included.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
So I decided to go through with the composite panel build. I will construct the panels from either corrugated or foam board, and make a box to replace the tongue box, and reach all the way back to the main box. I suspect the cost will be under $500. The main build will be featured on my composite FB page, with updates here, unless some of you want to follow and build one along, in which case I can feature the whole build here. It will take up quite a lot of posts so it is perhaps best to leave the main build off this thread. My schedule will open after Dec 12.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
There are several battery system setup explanations a bit earlier in the thread. Have you looked at those to see if any of those would fit your budget. There are model numbers included.

I have. I am concluding that there are some fundamentals I am missing that (I believe) would help me to better evaluate those approaches for my needs.

Wynn

Wanderer
For those in contact with Smittybilt concerning the reinforcement brackets and cooking drawer update, would you please PM me the email address you used. I've emailed them last week using the website and have not gotten a reply.

Anvoy

For those in contact with Smittybilt concerning the reinforcement brackets and cooking drawer update, would you please PM me the email address you used. I've emailed them last week using the website and have not gotten a reply.
I received a email back the next day back from Matt after I submitted a ticket. Maybe give them a few days to reply. My last ticket before this took a while to get a email back. I did received the new drawer, but no updates on the reinforcement parts yet. Anybody with updates?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I have not gotten the reinforced brackets. But as I have been showing them pictures of my "self fix" not sure I will as I indicated that I would not be installing it, as I consider my fix a better solution. Smitty have been awfully quiet lately though. I would like to point out that you can remedy this yourself for a few hundreds $$, by having a welder reinforce the welds, and perhaps add a brace. I know that this sucks, and you shouldn't have to. I get that, but you can, and it is done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles