Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Getting ready to hit the road for Arkansas for the Rendevous in the Ozarks in less than 2 weeks. Put the jacks up and get it packed we should be ready to go. We built an articulating hitch at work and it works great but for long interstate drives, I prefer the regular style hitch. View attachment 476454
Looks great! A bungee ball loop thingy works great for keeping the jack handle up, when running with the jacks in that location.

Anvoy

Talked to Matt, and they are working, as others have suggested, on a bolt on kit that will be sent to all Scout owners. It will use existing bolt patterns and will be user friendly. I am very impressed of how fast they are handling this.
Thank you for that info. I have not yet finished building my trailer, was too busy with work. I am very concerned regarding this weak point and I don’t really know how to wield. I just contact symittybilt express my concerns. I hope they contact me back and provide a peace of mind solution.

thardin68

Thank you for that info. I have not yet finished building my trailer, was too busy with work. I am very concerned regarding this weak point and I don’t really know how to wield. I just contact symittybilt express my concerns. I hope they contact me back and provide a peace of mind solution.
I spoke with DJ @ Smittybuilt and he has got me all sorted out with immediate shipment of some parts I had issues with (due to crossed electric brake wires) and indicated that I am in the que for the tongue reinforcements. I have been extremely pleased with Smittybilts customer service related to this trailer.

Anvoy

I spoke with DJ @ Smittybuilt and he has got me all sorted out with immediate shipment of some parts I had issues with (due to crossed electric brake wires) and indicated that I am in the que for the tongue reinforcements. I have been extremely pleased with Smittybilts customer service related to this trailer.
Thank you for the info. I used to have problem with one of the break light wire. Light wasn’t functioning, wire were degenerated. Contacted symittybilt about it, they replied me after a while. I didn’t follow up with them with the repair since I ripped all wire and connectors they provided and replaced with high quality wire and weather pack connectors. This reinforcement thing is just something I am not capable of handling at the moment. I just hope they fix it. Lol

Anvoy

I found this box very useful- we usually just carry food and drinks not requiring refrigeration in it but because of the size a lot of other items will fit in it too. Fits almost perfectly in the space behind the tongue box and the top forms large surface to which could attach even more stuff. ;)View attachment 476299
Any name or brand for that box? Look perfect on it. Meanwhile, how do you mount you spare on the top? I took my down and still haven’t figure a way to mount them. I like the back carrier setup, but it it requires wielding.... May be it is time for me to invest a wielded...

honda250xtitan

Said nobody after tuning their Scout for the high speed whoops sections........

considering the trailer will bend like a slinky just going down a dirt road I don't think your shim stack in those icons will help much...not to mention the single digit amount of travel.....

ok ok i'm done lol :)

RichardPT

Richard
Any name or brand for that box? Look perfect on it. Meanwhile, how do you mount you spare on the top? I took my down and still haven’t figure a way to mount them. I like the back carrier setup, but it it requires wielding.... May be it is time for me to invest a wielded...
About mounting the spare on top of the main box - I placed it over the bolted attachment point at the front of the top surface and strapped it with SB provided ratcheting straps (across to both sides of the trailer). I can attest to this method as I drove like that 5k miles and it have not moved or shifted. Next time I may place some rubber liner under the tire to protect the box surface as I found the wheel was collecting dirt and rocks on the inside (mostly from driving in the desert).

Anvoy

Talked with Matt in SB, he is going to send me a kit when he has some. He also provided a new drawer for me which is great. I am glad to see company like SB stand behind their product and they care about their reputation. This little request give me confidence on buying their products.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Hi All - Been following this thread since July. We live in Panama and spend a few months a year in the USA. I ordered the trailer through Northridge on July 7th and used the sharktank coupon and had delivered to door for $4,500 (no wheels & tires and arrived in 3 weeks to CT). Very happy with the purchase so far, quality is what I expected from the mfr and price.

I received it at a friends shop and tossed it together in the driveway. Use of his forklift was really nice! Here I am ready to drag it home, partially assembled to continue working in my garage:

View attachment 474238

I am planning a cross country Overlanding trip next spring and will be towing it with this. Looking forward to getting the crap off the HEEP and sleeping off the ground.

View attachment 474239

Here is our planned route: Start in CT and head south in Early May then head north as things heat up. CT to Big bend as quickly as possible but lots of time out west. Planning for 3 to 4 months months. My work is project based with a need to intermittent internet access to submit projects and download documents.
View attachment 474241

Current purchases in hand:
  • Genesis Dual Battery kit with Odessey batteries in Jeep (just installed this)
  • Sprintex Intercooled SC for the 3.8
  • Predator 3500 Inverter Generator
  • ClimateRight 5000 btu Portable Air Conditioner / heater
  • Dometic Coolfreeze cfx95- dzw
  • Giantex portable 15# washing machine
  • Harbor Freight 2.1 cubic foot tongue boxes (to mount on sides)
  • Clam quick-set escape with optional side panels
  • (4) new Toyo MT 37x13.5r17's (will put 2 best currently on Jeep on the trailer)
  • (2) Raceline beadlocks to match the HEEP
Planned major purchases to finish the build before we head out in May 2019
  • Smittybuilt XL RTT with Annex (waiting for spring to order)
  • Darche 270 Awning with all side panels
  • Deep cycle batteries, MTTP, Inverter, 200 AMP Mono Panels, shore power connection.
  • Water Heater / pump solution for showers
  • Water storage solution (non potable)
  • Jerry Cans for potable water and rotopax on Jeep for fuel.
Planning to hit a number of the major National Parks and do as much Dispersed Camping as possible to set up basecamp and explore. Planning to spend 2 weeks in Moab hitting all the trails I can and a week in Tahoe to do the Rubicon Trail.

I am just beginning the real planning for this trip and looking for any input that anybody is willing to provide. Please inbox me with any suggested itinerary, offers to hook up along the way, etc. I am a complete Newbie, so any constructive criticism is appreciated.

Have you installed a super charger on your Jeep? If so is it working fo ya?

thardin68

Have you installed a super charger on your Jeep? If so is it working fo ya?

Unfortunately, no. Still in the box and I ran out of time to install it while in the USA. I will need to install it right away when I return and get some miles on it to get the tune dialed in. The Sprintex has been around for a while now and despite some initial tuning issues, I understand they have been mostly sorted out. You still hear some horror stories, and now those are what gets the publicity. I know a number of people with them that are not having issues (they just tend to keep quiet about it).

I have the Inter-cooled version, which is important. I understand they may not like going from zero to high elevations and may get cranky. It will likely require a fairly insignificant tune change to handle extended periods of high elevation wheeling. I dont think it is a huge deal when towing or continuous open driving. It's the stop & go and throttle response while wheeling where the issues create a problem.

We are specifically NOT making any reservations or setting a duration for our trip. Could take 3 months or 5. If we have issues somewhere, we will handle it, then move on. So, we won't leave until I am satisfied we are good.

Sorry, probably not the technical experience response you were looking for.... If you look at the advertised dyno for the non-intercooled model, you can see the benefit of a roots style supercharger. The intercooled version adds an additional 50HP increase over these numbers and allows much more aggressive tuning. They can also provide a "pulley swap" for high altitude driving that supposedly allow you to be happy without any change to the tune.

Anyway, Sprintex originally only sold non-intercooled and had a lot of tuning issues due to the heat and limited boost. Once they added the intercooler option and tuners figured out the tunes, you don't see much online about them. Still a lot of units being sold...

Now, the issues are really with the 3.8 POS I have in the 2011. They have been much more successful with the 3.6 Pentastar 12 & up.

Happy to discuss offline with you if you are curious. I have done a ton of research.

Attachments

• Sprintex dyno - non intercooled.jpg
    Sprintex dyno - non intercooled.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 33

thardin68

Hi all. I am looking to build a kitchen slide-out to replace the Generator drawer. I am considering having the drawer extend all the way through the trailer, eliminating the silly drawer and shelf they come with on the other side.

Since I am in Panama until spring, I would like to get moving on design so I can have my buddy fabricate it before we get back. Can anyone provide me some assistance in helping me with some dimensions and photo's of any obstacles that might prevent me from, or limit the dimensions of, this proposed slide out kitchen. I am going to fabricate from aluminum and add Stainless tops.

We are going with a 95 liter Fridge / Freezer, so that will have to stay in the back (not best for work-flow, but we tend to grab everything we need at once anyway). So the slide out will contain a pantry area on top, a slide out for the stove and a utensil drawer, then a secondary slide out for a top with a hole for a collapsable sink bin. Planning to include a swing up faucet for the sink area.

PM me if willing to help. I will share all of the info with the forum once compiled.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
@thardin68. Thank you for your sc response I’ve looked at them for couple yrs still scratching head on that. I do great off-road could use some help on hwy at times but I have manual trans so most of time I can keep up. For your kitchen ? You might consider putting it in back on slider next to your fridge and use front compartments for storage , might be less fabrication

thardin68

@thardin68. Thank you for your sc response I’ve looked at them for couple yrs still scratching head on that. I do great off-road could use some help on hwy at times but I have manual trans so most of time I can keep up. For your kitchen ? You might consider putting it in back on slider next to your fridge and use front compartments for storage , might be less fabrication

I have always wanted an LS swap, but has a spare 3.8 with trans with 40 miles on them from a friends Hemi swap. Unfortunately, that is here in Panama now and not much use to me in the USA. I understand tuning can be finicky sometimes, but I believe they have it mostly sorted now.

Kitchen - While I like the idea of the kitchen in the rear, I have purchased a predator 3,500 generator which will not fit in the side box. I also wanted to keep that in the rear of the trailer for better tongue weight. I have a ton of fabrication to do anyway to make this thing stronger and to meet our needs, so cutting through the separation will be a piece of cake. I'm just hoping someone can help me with a few detailed measurements so I can design the slide-out and have it fabricated while I am away for a quick install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne