Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

TxFireman

One thing to note, my trailer does not have the ground down weld as shown by others in several photos, my manufacturer date was Mar 2017. I am curious as to those that do have the ground down area what their Mfg date was. Just wonder if its all trailers after a point in time or just random.

Mine is Jan of 18. It has the ground welds, but too new to have any cracks yet, or it may never crack for all I know. It did come with the updated kitchen drawer. I received mine and put it together at the end of July.

Last edited:

RyanHeller

Observer
Fellow Scout owners, just wanted to share one of our builds with you and offer any advice that I can give to you. This is our most extensive Scout build so far, and are looking at doing a few more in the near future. This particular trailer is a customer owned unit, but we also have a Scout that we use for personal and demo use and absolutely love it.

RyanHeller

Observer
Tongue reinforcement kit received today - brackets seem pretty strong

View attachment 474767

I have installed two of these kits so far. The instructions that were included were a little vague and didn't perfectly match our units because of rolling changes in the production process. Both of the trailers that we have done the reinforcement on had gussets along the drawbar/trailer box mounting flange where the rear flange of the reinforcement bracket is supposed to bolt. The gussets did not allow the reinforcement plate to be bolt as according to the instructions. After talking with Smittybilt and clearing things up, I bolted the bracket in between the box mounting flange and the drawbar. I loosened the four draw bar bolts and the two rear drawbar bolts on each side. Then working on one side first, completely removed the two drawbar flange bolts and spread the drawbar away from the trailer box flange with a small prybar. With space, I inserted the reinforcement flange, removed the prybar and positioned the reinforcement piece in the correct location. Leave all bolts loose until everything is installed, then torque to spec.

Reinforcement Bracket.jpg

tankup

A quick update on ETA for those of you who are waiting on an order:

We are currently about a 120 days out on this product. Smitty built is in the process of switching Vendors that supply and manufacture this product. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Madison Collins
Northridge 4x4
Customer Service

Hoologan

Fellow Scout owners, just wanted to share one of our builds with you and offer any advice that I can give to you. This is our most extensive Scout build so far, and are looking at doing a few more in the near future. This particular trailer is a customer owned unit, but we also have a Scout that we use for personal and demo use and absolutely love it.

I caught this vid on YouTube the other night. Very nice. Definitely gave me some ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Silverback07

Adventurer

Great work on the electrical! Lets see this onboard water setup? Where did you mount the tank and where did you get it?

Silverback07

Adventurer
Also for those of you who have installed this fix, how invasive is the tear-down required to install it? Example; the wires that run from the 7 pin back through the tongue and out to he back, do those need to be pulled? I'm assuming the tongue box and top plate have to be removed?

Johncmng

How do you vent the hot exhaust from your frig/freezer?

RyanHeller

Observer
Great work on the electrical! Lets see this onboard water setup? Where did you mount the tank and where did you get it?

The tank is mounted directly in front of the suspension arm mounting points. If you look closely at the photo I posted of the lower frame section, you can see the very front of the water tank mount. The tank is protected with a 3/16" aluminum skid plate. As far as the origination of the tank, I have to keep this undisclosed at this time, because we are in the final development stages of production water tank mounts. :censored:

Also for those of you who have installed this fix, how invasive is the tear-down required to install it? Example; the wires that run from the 7 pin back through the tongue and out to he back, do those need to be pulled? I'm assuming the tongue box and top plate have to be removed?

No electrical needs to be pulled, top plate stays on. Tongue box and spare tire mount stay on, but get unbolted. Install took about an hour and a half.

How do you vent the hot exhaust from your frig/freezer?

With the large rear compartment, no venting is necessary. The heat output of the fridge units isn't enough to warrant it.

Silverback07

Adventurer
I get it for the production option. I'll say make the water tank available and not ridiculously priced and count me in. I bought a 21 gallon tank to put inside the rear area and its just too big. I would gladly look at alternatives. Thanks for the feedback. Again, nice work.

robepa

Nice work and its great to see more products for the trailer. With the water tank full and the 2 batteries int he tongue box what is the hitch weight and % of the total weight on the hitch?
Thanks!

Kraxler

I get it for the production option. I'll say make the water tank available and not ridiculously priced and count me in. I bought a 21 gallon tank to put inside the rear area and its just too big. I would gladly look at alternatives. Thanks for the feedback. Again, nice work.
How did you mount the water tank? Pics?

Kraxler

I now have 3 of the new drawers.they keep coming with UPS. Got one installed. Am thinking of removing the locking mechanism to give a little more room for the stove. Ideas on how to keep the drawer closed?

Looks like the reenfocement kit will be arriving on Tuesday. Still waiting on a date for the RTT XL with anex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online