Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

bkone

When I try to torque down the wheel spacer, the rotor rotates. Any tips on how to lock the rotors so I can torque them right?

jojackc

Thought I would share some photos of my tire carrier. I took a folding gear crate that I got from walmart for like $50 and drilled two holes in it. Then mounted one of the tire holders that was on the crate the trailer came in to it. Only issue was the door would hit on the tire. Off to harbor freight. Picked up a cheap drop down hitch and cut the ball receiver off of it. Drilled new pin holes because it pushed the tire really far from the trailer. I plan to build a light table to go behind the tire so when you have it dropped down you can have it be usable space.

Attachments

• IMG_20180726_160402.jpg
    IMG_20180726_160402.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 234
  • IMG_20180726_160451.jpg
    IMG_20180726_160451.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20180726_160506.jpg
    IMG_20180726_160506.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 227

jojackc

Also I love that Actuator idea. Too bad they are so expensive. I was planning on trying to mount air bags or sissor jacks under the bars to lift and lower it. I have a low garage so It has to come almost all the way down to get it in. But when out camping I need it all the way up because we have the XL Annex and it sags to much.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Went for the hills again this weekend. 20180727_120301.jpg

Found a beautiful place just below Kebler pass,CO. Nestled along the river, all was great....
20180727_123104.jpg
Then the skies darkened.... and the outflow boundary from the approaching storm hit us along with 60mph....pea size hail and rain.
20180728_175137.jpg

As we learned, the solar charger only works with the sun..... and lots of it, so we had to light the gen.
That little thing sat for several hrs, in the torrential downpour but did not skip a beat.
The ARB awning, and Tepui didn't flinch. Both corners of both the tent and awning was off course staked down. But it was quite impressive to see how this setup provided us with refuge.
We really love this setup.
Cheers.

Last edited:

YYCRod

How do you have your shower mounted to the side of the rack where it rotates out like that?

my design criteria was it had to be very fast to deploy, solid and reliable and I didnt want to drill or weld the trailer itself. I build a lockable swing-arm mount out of 1" tube stock and angle iron. I bolted the unit to the tent support frame using the existing height adjustment holes. The whole unit is holding up very well. I'll snap and post some detailed pics after work.

Kraxler

Was thinking of a way to get on board water on the trailer. Was thinking 3 in pvc pipe. About 20 in long. Set vertically between the two rear sliders. About 13 or 14 would fit. They would be connected on the bottom with a common drain / fill pipe and a common vent pipe on the top. They would be mounted on a metal bracket on the bottom and a brace bracket on top. No interference with the slides or the cargo. Would hold about 30 to 40 gallons. The weight would be on or slightly aft of the axle and so would not increase the tong wight. You could even add a couple of larger pic pipes underneath the trailer, running length wise. The top tanks would drain into the lower tanks and a small pump attached to the lower pipes would provide water for use.

I'm going to looking out this some more this week when I get home from a business trip

So, what's the thought on this?

jojackc

I think you are a bit off on your calculations Kraxler. I was going to add a water tank to that back area that would not interfere with my current ice chest or storage chest. The water tank would be 32x15x5 inches but would only hold 9 Gallons of water. That is unless I misunderstand where you are mounting it.

jojackc

Yep your off on your math for sure a 3 inch PVC pipe will hold .3 gallons per foot. Even if we called your 20 inches 24 inches for easy math that would only be 7.8 gallons for 13 pieces of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94