Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Tkhawk

Adventurer
How do you connect your battery to the tow vehicle? Any heavy duty gage wire or charging controller? Was reading previous discussion on the voltage drop at the 7 pin connector, and it concerns me.
I bought a 4 gauge 20' long jumper cable and cut the ends off. I ran it from the jeep battery back to the rear bumper. I used an Anderson connector to connect to the trailer battery.

pallendo

Midnightsun, you wouldn't happen to have any plans or measurements for this kitchen written out, would you? This would probably push me over the fence on buying a trailer. Gotta show it to the wife, but I really want something like this to drag around behind my 2015 2-door Willys Wheeler.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Midnightsun, you wouldn't happen to have any plans or measurements for this kitchen written out, would you? This would probably push me over the fence on buying a trailer. Gotta show it to the wife, but I really want something like this to drag around behind my 2015 2-door Willys Wheeler.

I really don’t have any drawing I just winged it. There is an Australian guy called drifta and i Used his ideas for a pull out kitchen , google him and check out his designs he’s very cleaver. I started with size of my stove and built around it. Kept the length and width to my big slider in rear and kept my height the same as my fridge so I could run a shelf across top of box but wound up using a bungee net that worked better. I feel that the kitchen is your most important area. Try not to over think it ( there is a lot of that on this thread ) I hung a 2 gal water roto pac on back door that works great for hand pump for sink , I just stick hose from hand pump in rotopax and I have water. If I need hot water I’ll heat it up on stove. I do have water heater up front but don’t see the need to pipe it back to rear , I use it for shower only. If you really want actual measurements on my kitchen I will take the time and get them to ya

Midnightsun

Adventurer
For the rear window (rear of the trailer that is), I used guy ropes and an extra pole. Works well enough and is easy to erect.
View attachment 457820

For the rear door I welded some extensions and bolted them on the awning arm. We had a huge windstorm with rain last night. Other tents around us lost flys or collapsed. The the mounts held up perfectly.
View attachment 457821View attachment 457822

View attachment 457823View attachment 457824
I could draw up plans for the mount if it helps.

Btw, how is the new batwing? Worth changing from the foxwing?
For the rear window (rear of the trailer that is), I used guy ropes and an extra pole. Works well enough and is easy to erect.
View attachment 457820

For the rear door I welded some extensions and bolted them on the awning arm. We had a huge windstorm with rain last night. Other tents around us lost flys or collapsed. The the mounts held up perfectly.
View attachment 457821View attachment 457822

View attachment 457823View attachment 457824
I could draw up plans for the mount if it helps.

Btw, how is the new batwing? Worth changing from the foxwing?

That is awesome !! I have tree line tent and same fox wing and have been scratching my head for awhile on how to redo the tent poles. Great job I’m gonna steel your idea. How do you like your tent? Less than 100lbs I love ours

YYCRod

That is awesome !! I have tree line tent and same fox wing and have been scratching my head for awhile on how to redo the tent poles. Great job I’m gonna steel your idea. How do you like your tent? Less than 100lbs I love ours

Glad to provide ideas that help. My tent is the Treeline Ponderosa Constellation 3-4 person model. I think it weighs in around 145 lbs. I just returned from a 9 day trip into the southern Okanagan region of B.C. The trailer towed perfectly over 1,200 mile trip. We had one night where there was a windstorm with torrential rain. We were completely dry inside. Very solid tent.

bkone

If everything goes as planned I will pick up a new Scout this Thursday, and immediately take it on a 2000-mile road trip. I would really like the ability to raise and lower my RTT while on the road. I don't want to bend the top of the trailer or tweak the rack, do you think something like this, with a 2x6 would work? The RTT weighs about 150 lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Max-5001-5044-Motorcycle-Scissor/dp/B0196PAZ1S

I used a scissor jack to lower my rtt today and it worked great.

c27f68bac15919e6a163c27c87417e7a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ysk

Got the spare tire carrier, extra storage rack and fuel / water holder finished, so out for a trip

Attachments

• IMG_7579.JPG
    IMG_7579.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_7659.JPG
    IMG_7659.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_7673.JPG
    IMG_7673.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 181

Midnightsun

Adventurer
I raise and lower my tent with linear actuators. I been scratching my head about this for awhile and decided to dive in. I got 4 -50lb. 10 inch actuators and remote box from progressive automation in BC Canada. Good stuff. But they work flawlessly. Very smooth quiet and fast. I can raise my tent and awning 8 inches in about 5 seconds. Im supper happy the way it turned out had to do little cutting here and there but I finished in a day no welding few bolts and cutting disk on a grinder to cut 3 inch slot on front of tent rack that slide down inside main square tubing. Very sturdy up or down really don’t need pins anymore. All 4 corners raise with in 1/8 of inch of each other. So now it just push remote button up or downACE6D527-222C-4C0C-AB25-D74646D7C636.jpeg76CAE9C1-2122-4DD1-8D46-3DD507054ADC.jpegCEEE6F20-2601-414D-A48F-F36301FB25B4.jpeg84AD52E7-433C-4576-880C-D4F7CBBEDBA3.jpegCEEE6F20-2601-414D-A48F-F36301FB25B4.jpeg54374C94-A816-4867-A74A-1DA0F48EEE53.jpeg

Last edited:

OregonJKU

I raise and lower my tent with linear actuators. I been scratching my head about this for awhile and decided to dive in. I got 4 -50lb. 10 inch actuators and remote box from progressive automation in BC Canada. Good stuff. But they work flawlessly. Very smooth quiet and fast. I can raise my tent and awning 8 inches in about 5 seconds. Im supper happy the way it turned out had to do little cutting here and there but I finished in a day no welding few bolts and cutting disk on a grinder to cut 3 inch slot on front of tent rack that slide down inside main square tubing. Very sturdy up or down really don’t need pins anymore. All 4 corners raise with in 1/8 of inch of each other. So now it just push remote button up or downView attachment 461440View attachment 461441View attachment 461442View attachment 461444View attachment 461442View attachment 461443
Very cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles