Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

YYCRod

That could be more than the trailer. I had the same issue initially and it was the connector not being fully mated. It took quote a bit of force. The blue wires should indeed feed the electric brakes. You will not hear any noise when they engage. Make sure they are adjusted per the manual, and then jack one side up and apply power from a battery to the blue wires and check rotation resistance. Also check your vehicle's connector from the front, the 5:00 pin should be the break output, 1:00 should be vehicle's 12 volt. Unfortunately with the P3, it's smarter than it should be and may not send any power out the 5:00 pin if it senses no trailer. Perhaps hook the trailer up and put your volt meter at the back side of the pin with the blue wires.

View attachment 447869

Thanks for the pointers. I'll check all of that today after work.

Silverback07

Adventurer
Wow, how miss-wired was it? I pulled the connector trailer-end apart and the colors match up to the standard 7 pin diagrams. The brake pin on the connector has 2 blue wires (I assume 1 per brake side) connected. I don't want to risk frying my brand new T3 controller. Is there anyway to check with a multimeter? If I hook up a motorcycle battery to the 2 trailer-side connector pins (Brake and Ground), should I hear the brakes engage? BTW, I'Il be posting a few pics of my setup shortly... I borrowed a few ideas from your build. Hope you don't mind:)

I didn't bother trying to determine what the issue was. Just got a new harness in the box they sent me. When I got mine they neglected to send the "electrics box", but a quick call to SB and they had it over-nighted to my house. Was surprised to see the harness and instructions telling me to pull all the old out of the frame to replace with this new one. The wire was pretty thin so I decided to build my own and be done with it. It was pretty easy. I also ran a couple extra wires for future use, maybe backup lights for example.

bueller44

Quick question. I’m installing my battery into the tongue box and was wondering how everyone is securing the battery in the tongue box so that it isn’t bouncing around? Looking for ideas.
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCRod

I didn't bother trying to determine what the issue was. Just got a new harness in the box they sent me. When I got mine they neglected to send the "electrics box", but a quick call to SB and they had it over-nighted to my house. Was surprised to see the harness and instructions telling me to pull all the old out of the frame to replace with this new one. The wire was pretty thin so I decided to build my own and be done with it. It was pretty easy. I also ran a couple extra wires for future use, maybe backup lights for example.

We connected the trailer to a friends F350 with factory tow package and low and behold, it all seems to work. It looks like I forgot to hookup the 12v black power wire from the battery to the vehicle plug when putting my brake controller it.... that might be the problem (fingers crossed).

Silverback07

Adventurer
Quick question. I’m installing my battery into the tongue box and was wondering how everyone is securing the battery in the tongue box so that it isn’t bouncing around? Looking for ideas.
Thx

I built a hold-down and then installed it in a NOCO group 31 battery box. Used 1/4 all-thread and went through the bottom of the tongue box. Its not going anywhere.

Good golly big photos! Sorry.

2BF37FE3-5E1D-46D0-885E-8207578EADFB.JPG

43511891-6FC5-46B3-8975-20C07723B4B3.JPG

Kraxler

Ok, silly question. I can find the shore to ship plugs for ac but can't find a shore to ship plug for solar. Anyone have a link? Thanks.

ratled

Adventurer
Ok, silly question. I can find the shore to ship plugs for ac but can't find a shore to ship plug for solar. Anyone have a link? Thanks.
Not sure what you are asking for but if you are looking to plug you solar panels into the trailer to charge the batteries two common ones are Zamp connectors Zamp and MC4

Kraxler

Not sure what you are asking for but if you are looking to plug you solar panels into the trailer to charge the batteries two common ones are Zamp connectors Zamp and MC4
Looking for a female receptical to mount on the front box to bring in power from solar panels to a solar controller charger. Found wire pass through but no plug type thing.

ratled

Adventurer
Looking for a female receptical to mount on the front box to bring in power from solar panels to a solar controller charger. Found wire pass through but no plug type thing.
Depending on what type of connector that is on your panel. Zamp makes a Zamp Flush Mount that could work if your system uses that kind of connector. One end is flush mounted and the other end is bare wire to plug into your solar charger. Renogy makes a Zamp style to MC4 connector that is plug n play if you need to go from MC4 to Zamp (SAE) style that can seen HERE

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Some people can pay 42,000 for an adventure trailer. Others can barely afford 5,000. Just sayin. What matters is going outside.

john61ct

Adventurer
Make sure not to put much current through SAE, IMO 10A or less.

I prefer Anderson connectors as a standard for DC connections. Self-wiping contacts, very robust over time.

You can easily ensure sufficient ampacity, conservatively rated.

Powerwerx has a good range of fittings.

blare

Finally made some more progress on the wiring. I couldn’t bring myself to cut a hole in the tongue box for switches so I went back and forth with different ideas to hold the switch panel and all the other electronic gear. It dawned on me that I had a n old ammo laying around that might foot the bill. Current plan is to mount the blue sea fuse block inside the ammo can, a cut off switch on the outside, and the noco charger on the outside. Major plus being one I figure out what I really want there won’t be any extra holes to fill.

Attachments

• 5BDC5A39-46C7-4D0D-85B5-24A9F4BDDB94.jpeg
    5BDC5A39-46C7-4D0D-85B5-24A9F4BDDB94.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 223
  • DE0BEAED-A826-42B3-9972-933ABDB79A93.jpeg
    DE0BEAED-A826-42B3-9972-933ABDB79A93.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 245
  • 1ABBF105-BF1E-4FC3-9E6A-87A3CCC82AE8.jpeg
    1ABBF105-BF1E-4FC3-9E6A-87A3CCC82AE8.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 253
  • 8345DB40-E750-4486-BA0E-FD551FF6A804.jpeg
    8345DB40-E750-4486-BA0E-FD551FF6A804.jpeg