Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Think I miss read what you ment? I didn't just hang my rotopax cans on that pannel I went all the way to the inside of the trailer Was Leary about hanging anything just on the stiffener

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I didn't remove that panel. I drilled threw it and the side using longer bolts also used a back up plate inside also. That panel is a stiffener for the side it is a structural piece to the trailer I would not recommend removing it I also didn't want the rotopax cans flat up against side

Copy that. What did you use as a spacer between the main box and the panel in question. I suspect that there is about 1 inch between them, and if you torque the longer bolts too much, you could warp either, or perhaps both.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
I didn't put anything in between .... 14ga steel was pretty stought and the pressed corners on the pannel helped. I didn't put the hurt on the bolts but i flattened the lock washers easy along with some locktight and aircraft nuts

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I didn't remove that panel. I drilled threw it and the side using longer bolts also used a back up plate inside also. That panel is a stiffener for the side it is a structural piece to the trailer I would not recommend removing it I also didn't want the rotopax cans flat up against side

Smittybilt refers to it as a removable accessory mount location. It is not structural.

rnArmy

Adventurer

vector07

so here is my question that I cant seem to find anywhere, so hoping one of the owners can enlighten me. It looks like the mount for the RTT slides up and down using pins, lowered so you can put it in the garage im guessing. with it being manual how hard is it to raise and lower with the tent installed?

Tkhawk

Adventurer
They recommend not to raise it or lower it with the tent attached. However, it is possible if they are attached to the tent good and straight. I dislike that they are two individual bars and are not connected to increase rigidity. The front of my tent, CVT Mt. Rainier,was starting to sag. I suspect it was from a combination of the long overhang I have towards the front and the fact that the rack is not very rigid. I added some tubing and angle linking the front and rear bars together and extended it forward to support the front of the tent. The angle also was utilized to make a "drawer" for my folding table. Here you can see the the front sagging down.
20171104_171634-2016x1512.jpg

I can raise and lower mine but only found the need to once. It also helps with 3-4 strong guys to lift it straight up and down. My sweet spot was high enough that i could see between the trailer and the bottom of the tent thru the rear view mirror. If alone i would get a huge piece of plywood on a few 2x4 that extend past the side of the body, and put that on top of the body then use a centrally located jack to lift up.

With the cross bars at like 34" spacing, it was designed to hold the standard sized tents. Longer tents need to have their own supports. A crossbar between tent mounts and then an adjustable turnbuckle going to the spare tire worked for my buddy. I haven't had any problems with my small tent up there.

15midnight

I have been looking at this trailer and really enjoyed reading through the thread to see what everyone has done. I have read that the tongue weight on this trailer can be a little high. Has anyone took a measurement of what that weight is. I am also wondering with the spare tire removed how far apart are the main box and tongue box. Looking to see if i remove the spare tire if i could fit a dirt bike in that space (with addition of some rack width)

Thanks

I have been looking at this trailer and really enjoyed reading through the thread to see what everyone has done. I have read that the tongue weight on this trailer can be a little high. Has anyone took a measurement of what that weight is. I am also wondering with the spare tire removed how far apart are the main box and tongue box. Looking to see if i remove the spare tire if i could fit a dirt bike in that space (with addition of some rack width)

Thanks

you have 17.75" from the rear of the tongue box to the trailer body. Tongue box should fit in between the eyebolts.

tongue weight was about 320 last time i checked mine.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
so here is my question that I cant seem to find anywhere, so hoping one of the owners can enlighten me. It looks like the mount for the RTT slides up and down using pins, lowered so you can put it in the garage im guessing. with it being manual how hard is it to raise and lower with the tent installed?

Unless you have a gang of strongarms with you, then I think it is meant to be adjusted before you lower the RTT on it. In my case each corner will yield just over 50 pounds, and each corner have to be lifted simultainlesly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94