Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

I have had the scout for 2 months now. All in all I like it.
I purchased the trailer without tires and rims, with plans to change the drums out so I could match my tires and rims. Toyo bolt pattern. First problem I ran into, it just not going to happen with the spindles they use on the trailer. They are some odd ball automotive size, not possible at all to get trailer break drums that match the spindles. You might get lucky and maybe would find a drum that could fit, but being sourced from china was a long shot. After having the trailer on jacks for 2 weeks with contact smitybilt for spindle sizes, and help from my trailer company, I gave up and just went with the bolt pattern. One day I might get adapter, maybe.

I live on the east coast, and it has been a humid summer. I had 2 or 3 rust issues, one being where the screw knobs hold the awning support up. I guess the bolts weren't painted all the way around after welding, no biggie. Something that I can fix. The other is the supports themselves, the holes that are predrilled are showing a little surface rust.

The tounges paint is start to chip away a little bit, but no rust, something I will just keep an eye on.

I am surprised at the metal that was used on the tounge box, and all of the drawers, and doors. It is really sturdy, I was almost expecting a cheap truck box feel, but that is far from the truth.

If you do buy, becareful about over torquing the bolts to hold the tounge box Down. I tightened it to much, bent the metal in, and the paint chipped.

I have a 23 zero roof top tent mounted to the top, and doing well so far. I have a ARQ4WD 270 awning mounted off the the side.

THe only thing I wish they didn't do was make the pull out stove drawer so small, my Coleman 2 burner stove will not fit. I will be modifying it at some point.

The drawers slide flawlessly, the handles and latches work well.

I did have a problem with my trailer brakes upon taking delivery and putting it together. There were 2 wires crossed on the trailer break plug, causing the trailer breaks the activate and lock up when I would plug it into my tow vehicle. I contacted the R&D guy from smitybilt and he helped me fix the problem. I was worried, but good now.

So far the only thing I have done to improve the trailer was to place seamsealer on the bottom on the trailer where the box is bolted to the frame. It is only tack welded to one another, and was worried that over time dirt would get between the two and cause rust issues. May of been over paranoid, but 2 tubes of 3m seam sealer at $13 a piece from local auto parts store provided some insurance.

The next thing on the list is to add reverses lights to the trailer to kick on when I put it into reverse, I couldn't see anything on the trail last week trying to turn around.

I hope that this helps someone looking at the trailer. It is a good platform to build off of if you want to get into the hobby, or you don't want to spend a fortune. Eventually I will add a battery, solar, and on board water. I am happy with the purchase.

Last edited:

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Awesome, thanks @RWB_Runner. That's very helpful and makes me more confident in going this route!

Silverback07

Adventurer
THe only thing I wish they didn't do was make the pull out stove drawer so small, my Coleman 2 burner stove will not fit. I will be modifying it at some point.

I agree.. the "kitchen slide" should accommodate a larger stove. I found a Eureka Spire version that fits.. minus the brass fitting for the tank. I replaced it with a hose and it now works. But its bass-akwards IMO... the opening for grill controls should be on the backside so you can stand under an awning to cook. But aside from that I'm pretty happy with it. I do plan to build a sub structure that would allow me to build a rear bumper with swingout tire carrier and get that spare tire out from behind the tongue box.

DED39943-DE22-45FE-84A4-F872E2C5C525.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I agree.. the "kitchen slide" should accommodate a larger stove. I found a Eureka Spire version that fits.. minus the brass fitting for the tank. I replaced it with a hose and it now works. But its bass-akwards IMO... the opening for grill controls should be on the backside so you can stand under an awning to cook. But aside from that I'm pretty happy with it. I do plan to build a sub structure that would allow me to build a rear bumper with swingout tire carrier and get that spare tire out from behind the tongue box.

DED39943-DE22-45FE-84A4-F872E2C5C525.jpg

Looks like an 18" Partner Steel stove will fit perfectly. The hose for the Partner attaches on left.

Silverback07

Adventurer
I am hoping to mount the propane on the tongue area currently occupied by the spare tire once I move it.

I mounted an Odyssey group 31 battery in the tongue box along with a 10 amp shore power charger. The plan is for solar and obviously the truck will charge it going down the road but for now I'm just powering the lights and water pump (fridge is currently in the truck). I ran power wires under the trailer against the frame and they come into the main compartment where I have a Blue Sea 6 circuit fuse block. I then ran wires to each compartment and the two side boxes I added. Each compartment has led lighting and the side boxes also have USB power ports.

DEC32B32-4634-4815-8EFA-23FF14C4A92D.jpg

E0107EC9-4795-42CC-9409-70AF86ABCDA1.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I am hoping to mount the propane on the tongue area currently occupied by the spare tire once I move it.

I mounted an Odyssey group 31 battery in the tongue box along with a 10 amp shore power charger. The plan is for solar and obviously the truck will charge it going down the road but for now I'm just powering the lights and water pump (fridge is currently in the truck). I ran power wires under the trailer against the frame and they come into the main compartment where I have a Blue Sea 6 circuit fuse block. I then ran wires to each compartment and the two side boxes I added. Each compartment has led lighting and the side boxes also have USB power ports.

DEC32B32-4634-4815-8EFA-23FF14C4A92D.jpg

E0107EC9-4795-42CC-9409-70AF86ABCDA1.jpg

Awesome! Anxious to see more pics as you "personalize" the trailer to your tastes. Where are you moving the spare, to the top of the box? That's where I was thinking.

Silverback07

Adventurer
My plan is to build a substructure that ties into the bottom of the existing rear "frame" and allows me to build a swingout bumper with tire carrier. I bought a bunch of 2x2x.120 wall sq box to make it out of. Maybe a winter project though, it hot out. I just finished up modifying the RTT rack with a LifeTime table holder and extension to help support the front of the tent and also allow future solar panel slideout. Hoping to have the RTT completely mounted this week.

IMG_9226.jpg

IMG_9229.jpg

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Well I ordered mine today, I found a15% off coupon and couldn't pass it up! Silverback07, I hope you don't mind a copy cat because I'm loving what you are doing to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles