Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

john61ct

Adventurer
I just want to make sure it is a safe place so not to get burned again.
You will always get burned, any such "platform", nature of the beast, all websites and companies come and go over time, no matter how "dominant" they seem now.

Unless you control the platform, own website.

and that does mean paying, maybe $20-30 a month?

Silverback07

Adventurer
I tried the going to FB and searching on the words you posted. I got a single thing and when I clicked on it I got this. :) Sorry.. I'm impressed and still laughing.

1545536573338.png

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I tried the going to FB and searching on the words you posted. I got a single thing and when I clicked on it I got this. :) Sorry.. I'm impressed and still laughing.

View attachment 490143

Ha ha ha ha..... now that is funny.
It was a plug I made for the Hawker aircraft we had years back.
Dang thing did not have a flapper valve in it..... and ehhhhh..... things flew around.
Plug worked..... lol.
This truly is a mystery.
Pics and a full build thread coming here soon.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

ebrabaek

Adventurer
and that works!!

I must say that this was good that I started this. It seems like something happened, and the entire page sometimes in the last 30 days, went from published to unpublish. Not sure how it happened, but with peoples FB being hacked, and such, Ohh well. I changed it back to publish, which is sorta like you tuning it on and off, and here we are.
Awesome...… I had no clue.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Yes.
I used to work proffesionally in my home country, building Boats and windmill wings. Continued as I moved stateside, but as a hobby. Back in the mid 90's there was not a lot you could learn about composites, unless you took an apprenticeship. That changed with the rise of the internet in the late 90's. I felt strongly that my mission regarding composites was to teach people how to create and use them, but without the intimidation of vacuum bags, and autoclaves. So I began hosting in two forums, Thumpertalk, and ADVRider, building things or should I say parts with everyday tools and parts from your local hardware store. Well.... almost. I would be an idiom arguing that cardboard is on par with Nomex honeycomb, or any other aerospace honeycomb. I build parts on par for their design, so that they are affordable for the everyday man/woman to be able to afford. Nomex is about 7 times more expensive than the carbon fiber sheet you lay it down on top of.
So it is all about creating the void between two layers for stiffness. Corrugated material is about $3 pr yard, rather than $150 pr yard, and it will work, with a few caveats. If you g too thin on the layers of CF you can squish the cardboard, so that is one. Arresting the plates along the edges is another, but other than that, it will serve its purpose well. Just wait and see.

Silverback07

Adventurer
Yes.
I used to work proffesionally in my home country, building Boats and windmill wings. Continued as I moved stateside, but as a hobby. Back in the mid 90's there was not a lot you could learn about composites, unless you took an apprenticeship. That changed with the rise of the internet in the late 90's. I felt strongly that my mission regarding composites was to teach people how to create and use them, but without the intimidation of vacuum bags, and autoclaves. So I began hosting in two forums, Thumpertalk, and ADVRider, building things or should I say parts with everyday tools and parts from your local hardware store. Well.... almost. I would be an idiom arguing that cardboard is on par with Nomex honeycomb, or any other aerospace honeycomb. I build parts on par for their design, so that they are affordable for the everyday man/woman to be able to afford. Nomex is about 7 times more expensive than the carbon fiber sheet you lay it down on top of.
So it is all about creating the void between two layers for stiffness. Corrugated material is about $3 pr yard, rather than $150 pr yard, and it will work, with a few caveats. If you g too thin on the layers of CF you can squish the cardboard, so that is one. Arresting the plates along the edges is another, but other than that, it will serve its purpose well. Just wait and see.

Thanks for the info. I used to build speaker boxes WAY back in the day and used cotton fabric as the base, same principle I believe. The cotton just gave the shape for the fiberglass and resin to adhere to, same for the cardboard. Out of curiosity, how much will the carbon fiber material run for this project?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I used to build speaker boxes WAY back in the day and used cotton fabric as the base, same principle I believe. The cotton just gave the shape for the fiberglass and resin to adhere to, same for the cardboard. Out of curiosity, how much will the carbon fiber material run for this project?

I suspect that it will cost about $400 all inclusive all materials. Cups, sticks gloves, and all. Quite expensive, but also quite a big box. Most important, I will get just the box that I want, and wait until you see the way I will customize it. Left side, door to access the storage. Right side will have the Water heater on the outside, and all inclusive electrical control panel. Top of the box will have the solar panel, in support of the movable 50 watt panels, when parked in the shade. The possibilities are endless.

Silverback07

Adventurer
Nice!!! Can't wait to see it. I pulled all the electrical out of my tongue box and plan to redo the whole setup this Winter. I have all the new gear just struggling with making it all fit in the way I want. And yes, solar is also going to be added. Bought a 100 watt and a 50 watt panel, not sure which one I will use. Leaning towards the 50 watt as the fridge is in the truck and it already has solar.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Nice!!! Can't wait to see it. I pulled all the electrical out of my tongue box and plan to redo the whole setup this Winter. I have all the new gear just struggling with making it all fit in the way I want. And yes, solar is also going to be added. Bought a 100 watt and a 50 watt panel, not sure which one I will use. Leaning towards the 50 watt as the fridge is in the truck and it already has solar.

Yeppers. The OEM tongue box is very nice, but as you want to capitalize on the trailers full potential, there are simply not enough room. I have the small 50 watt panel, and that have been enough except for one time, where a lot of storms kept blowing in, and I had to run the generator for I hr, one day. The Engel 40 qt cooler only zips power. I looked at both purchasing the panels, but they also are very expensive. Truly the hardest part was to make the "press" for the layup. I made it for future use, but had I to do it again, I would just get the 4x8 foot melamine board, and C clamps, and throw it our after use. $28 for that 4x8 is not bad.
Some of the pre made steel boxes, that I looked at was close to 1K...… so the decision was made... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke