Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
We just got back from Anza Borrego and the trailer was great! It is hands down the best value for an off road capable trailer. And pulls exceptionally well on road, as well. We are very happy with ours.

Attachments

• 58FBF270-EF19-45F9-8F0D-AC7AAA3DC4E6.jpeg
    58FBF270-EF19-45F9-8F0D-AC7AAA3DC4E6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 223
  • 6339334C-251B-4C56-BD57-E7331B4DABF9.jpeg
    6339334C-251B-4C56-BD57-E7331B4DABF9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 223
  • B9D2FEE8-2785-4FD7-AD2D-6AF8E6CE35D0.jpeg
    B9D2FEE8-2785-4FD7-AD2D-6AF8E6CE35D0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 224
  • C9823BE2-7851-470F-BD3A-7BF2C45BC448.jpeg
    C9823BE2-7851-470F-BD3A-7BF2C45BC448.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 219

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
That swing out is sweet @Plannerman!
Thanks! It’s a Cherokee bumper from a company called Dirtworks. It was only $400. We cut the brackets off, welded new ones on, and are good to go! Also welded the stabilization jack brackets on to the outside as the bumper interfered with cranking. Still need to powder coat.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Thanks! It’s a Cherokee bumper from a company called Dirtworks. It was only $400. We cut the brackets off, welded new ones on, and are good to go! Also welded the stabilization jack brackets on to the outside as the bumper interfered with cranking. Still need to powder coat.

That is very clever. When I welded up mine, I was looking for any units that would fit the bill. I never saw this one, but wish I did, as it looks like it fits beautiful. Well done.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
That is very clever. When I welded up mine, I was looking for any units that would fit the bill. I never saw this one, but wish I did, as it looks like it fits beautiful. Well done.

Thanks, that’s means a lot coming from you. You have built a great trailer. Finding the Cherokee bumper was a total accident and a real find. I’ll get some pics together to show how it was all mounted.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
By the way, if anyone is interested in mounting the Dee Zee tool boxes, I have a pair I’m not going to use. I was going to bolt them above the fenders, but don’t need them. If anyone is looking for a deal, let me know

wbwood1969

I know that they say they need to be delivered to a commercial address with a dock, but who puts it together? You just can't throw it on the back of your jeep and take home. Do most places that have it delivered to them, put it together for you? I know I've seen that Habitat off road in Allen, Texas, does it for a price, but wonder if other places do it as well?

wbwood1969

I think they are great trailers and definitely have their pros and cons, you should however know that you can’t buy them right now. It’s probably going to be 30-40 more days before you can get one
That's not a problem. It would be several months before I would use it anyway. We are in NC. I'm contemplating on just doing a build with a small utility trailer. Can save $4k or maybe more. Yeah, it won't look as nice and won't be off road, but we won't be doing any off roading...more like dirt roading at the most...lol

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I know that they say they need to be delivered to a commercial address with a dock, but who puts it together? You just can't throw it on the back of your jeep and take home. Do most places that have it delivered to them, put it together for you? I know I've seen that Habitat off road in Allen, Texas, does it for a price, but wonder if other places do it as well?

I put mine together with the help of a buddy. No special tools needed.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
That's not a problem. It would be several months before I would use it anyway. We are in NC. I'm contemplating on just doing a build with a small utility trailer. Can save $4k or maybe more. Yeah, it won't look as nice and won't be off road, but we won't be doing any off roading...more like dirt roading at the most...lol

My wife and I had a similar discussion. Ultimately we decided that, at this point in life, time is more precious that money and we would rather spend our time camping with our boys.

bobebm

Quadratec (on their video) and 4 wheel parts (local representative) said they could only deliver to a commercial address or hub. Northridge 4x4 delivered it to my residence and put it right in my garage with no delivery charge at all. The local 4 wheel parts store did offer to put it together and thought it was around $400 to $500.

Hoologan

My wife and I had a similar discussion. Ultimately we decided that, at this point in life, time is more precious that money and we would rather spend our time camping with our boys.

I went through this as well. I have the ability and the tools to fabricate, but not the time unless I want it to take two years. The final straw was when I found a pre-owned Scout with tent and awning for less than the trailer new. I was sold.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I went through this as well. I have the ability and the tools to fabricate, but not the time unless I want it to take two years. The final straw was when I found a pre-owned Scout with tent and awning for less than the trailer new. I was sold.

What a nice outcome! Good for you!

tankup

For those of you still waiting on a Scout to drop ship from Smitty, I just got off a call with a rude representative. He says the estimated delivery date is now February -- last time I checked with them it was late December or early January. If you ordered from Northridge or elsewhere, don't bother calling Smitty directly unless you want extremely poor customer service.

Silverback07

Adventurer
I had just the exact opposite customer service the few times I have called. Every time the rep on the other end of the line was very courteous, helpful and resolved my issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles