Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

fd6axc4

Lot of variable there for the door where you set your tent height, size of tire, dimensions of tent closed etc

I flatten my 33” tires to allow my just over head height at floor mounted tepui to fit in my 7’ garage door by less than an inch

Eish.... Looking up the Tepui dimensions it says it's 1' closed. I have an iKamper and it's 1'-1" closed. I may have to get creative with how I get it in and out of the garage.

Do you have the telescoping rack on the tallest setting?

mmrocek

Observer
After taking too long to make a decision, we finally decided on the Scout. I did have two questions though....

- Is 4wp the quickest place to order these through? I've read that it may take 21+ weeks.
- What is the dimension from the roof rack bars to the ground? IE: Do you hit your head when you fold your RTT out? Are you able to wheel it into a garage door with a 7' clearance with a RTT on?

Thanks!

No idea on where the quickest way to order one through is these days, but if you want it pre-assembled 4WP is the way to go as far as I know. I ordered mine not assembled/on a crate back in 2018 from a jeep website and they delivered it to my house.

As far as will it fit in the garage with an RTT on, the answer is it can - depending on how high you put the rack bars. Do I hit my head when the tent is folded open? yes, I am 6'2"
In these photos, way back from 2018, the trailer fits in the garage just fine, even with the added awning.

IMG_2399.jpeg

IMG_2394.jpeg

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Eish.... Looking up the Tepui dimensions it says it's 1' closed. I have an iKamper and it's 1'-1" closed. I may have to get creative with how I get it in and out of the garage.

Do you have the telescoping rack on the tallest setting?

I do not. I have it set so I can walk under and just barely miss my head. I do this so I can reach the zipper all the way around. Sucks to climb up and down when your packing up fast

Dropping tire pressure to 5 psi works wonders to lower the height for the pass through the portal. I don’t back it in though I walk it back by hand just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Garrett77

Hello, I camp with my scout in NC sometimes and am always on the lookout for more places. Have you ever camped up near Mortimer, or Grandfather mountain? (Side question, know of any good forums for the Scouts?)

We need a NC meet up lol. I'm in the process of building a new rig and doing some big mods on the trailer. I can't get out right now to camp between work and kids. But I want to be ready for late summer. I'm going to start exploring pisgah and mapping future sites

Pau Hana

Good eyes!

Hiding it with a cvt tent as well! Can’t imagine Smitty signed off on that for a promo, hope they waited 20 months in line like he rest of us ********

Nissan recently used my Scout in their online Frontier commercial. If you want you can check it out at https://www.nissanusa.com/find-your-frontier/ . Pick the "choose your adventure" option and click "Forest". Its just a quick video. Kinda fun to see the Scout in a commercial.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Nissan recently used my Scout in their online Frontier commercial. If you want you can check it out at https://www.nissanusa.com/find-your-frontier/ . Pick the "choose your adventure" option and click "Forest". Its just a quick video. Kinda fun to see the Scout in a commercial.

And it’s NISSAN! Not to thread jack but
7b48db038a9fa9861c13a28c554d8547.jpg
LETS GOOOOOOOO!

fd6axc4

I'm new to towing and am going to be picking up a Scout hopefully soon. I installed a Redarc tow controller in my Wrangler last weekend. For those that have Wranglers with the Redarc, I'm going to leave it in proportional mode. Does it matter what number I set it to? What number would you suggest?

Thank You!

Garrett77

I'm new to towing and am going to be picking up a Scout hopefully soon. I installed a Redarc tow controller in my Wrangler last weekend. For those that have Wranglers with the Redarc, I'm going to leave it in proportional mode. Does it matter what number I set it to? What number would you suggest?

Thank You!

Redarc is awesome. Perfect for your setup
0 = 0 volts to trailer breaks. Higher the number more voltage allowed to brakes, thus increasing breaking force. Leave it on proportional mode and then change it to the other setting for offroading (I forget what it's called). The other setting allows for the breaking to be %100 of the voltage/number you select which helps when offroading.

As for the number there is no perfect number across the board. Watch a video on how to set a brake controller. Most say to go to an empty parking lot and drive at like 25 mph then do a hard break. Gradually increase until you feel the trailer grabbing hard. Then you are set. Remember weight changes braking needed so do it full and empty as you should have 2 different numbers. Good luck!

fd6axc4

Redarc is awesome. Perfect for your setup
0 = 0 volts to trailer breaks. Higher the number more voltage allowed to brakes, thus increasing breaking force. Leave it on proportional mode and then change it to the other setting for offroading (I forget what it's called). The other setting allows for the breaking to be %100 of the voltage/number you select which helps when offroading.

As for the number there is no perfect number across the board. Watch a video on how to set a brake controller. Most say to go to an empty parking lot and drive at like 25 mph then do a hard break. Gradually increase until you feel the trailer grabbing hard. Then you are set. Remember weight changes braking needed so do it full and empty as you should have 2 different numbers. Good luck!

Thanks for the response and it sounds like it's something that's different for every situation. I'll have to watch a few more videos. One video said that in 'proportional' mode, everything is automatic. But the instructions make it seem like even in 'proportional' mode, the numbers control the brake pressure. I'm sure it's easier than I think...I've just never towed anything so it's a bit intimidating.

Like I said, this is my first time towing anything and I'm looking at a ball hitch for the Wrangler. It's a stock JLU Rubicon and not lifted with the original ~33" tires. I've heard that Curt makes a pretty decent ball mount hitch. With the Scout, do I want a drop? A rise? My plan is to be able to tow it home and then eventually swap it out for a lock n load or a max coupler.

Thanks!

mmrocek

Observer
Thanks for the response and it sounds like it's something that's different for every situation. I'll have to watch a few more videos. One video said that in 'proportional' mode, everything is automatic. But the instructions make it seem like even in 'proportional' mode, the numbers control the brake pressure. I'm sure it's easier than I think...I've just never towed anything so it's a bit intimidating.

Like I said, this is my first time towing anything and I'm looking at a ball hitch for the Wrangler. It's a stock JLU Rubicon and not lifted with the original ~33" tires. I've heard that Curt makes a pretty decent ball mount hitch. With the Scout, do I want a drop? A rise? My plan is to be able to tow it home and then eventually swap it out for a lock n load or a max coupler.

Thanks!

IMG_0022.jpeg

The trailer sits pretty high stock. I am running 37's on my JKUR and it's just about level. Also, I have had the trailer for years and never bothered to hookup the brakes as my jeep only came with the 4 pin connector. I got the 7 pin conversion but it's still in the garage... I have no issues with braking on stock brakes and 37's towing the trailer. They are light, even when loaded.

fd6axc4

To be exact..... :)

I know i'm stuck on the weight here... :D But at what point in your build was it 210lbs? I saw your youtube video with the water tanks, fridge, generator, etc. Was it 210 bone stock, or 210 in a configuration like the one that was in the video?

I haven't seen a really great number posted of the tongue weight other than the picture of your scale. The general consensus is that it's heavy, and I'm sure it is. Just trying to get a more exact idea to know if I'm making a huge mistake purchasing a scout.

Thank You!

fd6axc4

I'm not sure why it didn't click with me to ask Smittybilt. I think I probably thought it would get sent to a spam mailbox that nobody answers. :)

In any case, I sent them in e-mail today and a few hours later, I get a response. The rep said that an empty, stock trailer's tongue weight is anywhere from 150lbs to 200lbs. In case anybody is paranoid about it like me. :)

I'm glad to see that it's way under the max tongue weight for the Wrangler. This is, of course, empty. Hopefully it doesn't get a lot higher when I cautiously add the RTT.

Catalanbull

I'm not sure why it didn't click with me to ask Smittybilt. I think I probably thought it would get sent to a spam mailbox that nobody answers. :)

In any case, I sent them in e-mail today and a few hours later, I get a response. The rep said that an empty, stock trailer's tongue weight is anywhere from 150lbs to 200lbs. In case anybody is paranoid about it like me. :)

I'm glad to see that it's way under the max tongue weight for the Wrangler. This is, of course, empty. Hopefully it doesn't get a lot higher when I cautiously add the RTT.
Mmhh I don't know how accurate that TW is, I believe it's north of 300. But maybe they fixed it in the Gen 2. One of these days I'll weight mine now that I have the spare tire at the back, I'm curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier