Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Catalanbull

I’m working on a very similar project with Scepter cans. I just received this pump:

This pump I got leaked from two different places, so definitely not recommended.

GeoTracker

I have a question for folks with roof top tents. What is the distance from the ground to the bottom of your tent at max extension? I ordered a trailer and am researching tents and annexes. Thanks.

Fullkontact

I have a question for folks with roof top tents. What is the distance from the ground to the bottom of your tent at max extension? I ordered a trailer and am researching tents and annexes. Thanks.

Mine fully extended annex is roughly 74 inches when my brackets are extended and pinned to the 9th hole

misubisu

Is there anyway you could post a close up photo of how you mounted those gas struts? Thanks again!
The tops of the struts on the right side where there is no awning, are mounted with the standard ball joints that come with the struts.
You can get the nuts onto them because the frame the tent is mounted on is open at the tops:

On the left side where the awning is mounted, you cannot get the nuts on (because of the awning brackets). So I used different brackets that attach with metal tapping screws or bolts (these brackets were purchased from the strut supplier):

All the bottoms are attached using the standard ball joints as you can fit the nut from inside the trailer:

If you are leaving the Smittybilt side panels on, you will need to be careful where you mount the bottoms as they will hit the side panels when the thick part of the strut slides down. As I removed the side panels so I could fit the side tool boxes, this wasn't an issue for me. Depending on the thickness of the struts you buy, you may need to shim them out enough to clear the side panels.

misubisu

Attached my custom built side boxes today...
I hunted everywhere for front opening boxes, but couldn't find any that were the right size.
So I got two of them made. They're aluminium, so are very light:

Attachments

• side_box_1.jpg
    side_box_1.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 112
  • side_box_2.jpg
    side_box_2.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 110
  • side_box_3.jpg
    side_box_3.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 111

misubisu

Made up the wheel mount for the 'Backswing' today.
No movement at all, so it worked out well.
I modified the Backswing, so I could open it up further:

Attachments

• TC_1.jpg
    TC_1.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 149
  • TC_2.jpg
    TC_2.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 144
  • TC_3.jpg
    TC_3.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 139
  • TC_4.jpg
    TC_4.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 143
  • TC_5.jpg
    TC_5.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 144
  • TC_6.jpg
    TC_6.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 142
  • TC_IP_1.jpg
    TC_IP_1.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 135
  • TC_IP_2.jpg
    TC_IP_2.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 130
  • TC_IP_3.jpg
    TC_IP_3.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 132

misubisu

How did you modify the backswing to open up more?
I removed the lug that stops it from opening more that 90 degrees.
It opens to around 160 degrees now.. but I'm going to add a new lug that will limit it to about 120 degrees.
Because I have the wheel so close to the back of the trailer, it needs to open around 300 mm more so the rear door opens enough to get the slider out.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Made up the wheel mount for the 'Backswing' today.
No movement at all, so it worked out well.
I modified the Backswing, so I could open it up further:

Good idea. Forgot how close the hitch is to the rear door. I was planning to use my bike hitch, but will not be able to open the rear door. This is a good option. What drop hitch are you using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne