Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Fullkontact

I bought them from a local company here in Australia (Gas Struts Australia).
They have a 340mm travel and are around 700mm fully extended.
I calculated that I would need around 340mm of travel based on how far Intend to raise and lower the tent.
The strength that I clculated is useless to you... unless you are using the same tent and awning.
I took the tent and awning off and weighed the four corners to see how heavy they are.
Each corner was a different weight, so my 4 struts are all different pressures.
If you only have a tent, you just get the weight of the tent and add on a few kg for the weight of the metal frame it’s attached to and divide it by 4 for the weight each strut will need to handle. I calculate at 10.2N for each 1kg of weight and it’s amost perfect (arrived at this formula after researching the topic). My awning is very heavy and weighs almost as much as the tent. It’s also vey long as its a wrap around awning, so the weight is not evenly balanced (hence the need for 4 different strut pressures).
Hope this explanation helps.
That’s great! This helps a lot. You just gave me a baseline of something to go off of instead of shooting in the dark. My awning isn’t too heavy but I may get a bigger load ratio for the side the awning is on anyway because of future plans to change out my awning to a 270 degree awning which will be heavier. Is there anyway you could post a close up photo of how you mounted those gas struts? Thanks again!

ridgeracer

I've started to adapt my Scepter water cans into a pressurized setup. I will be using a Stompump attached to a small piece plywood for added stability while pumping.
(The Stompump is a high quality bike pump that is operated by using your foot to pump up. ) That is connected to the Schrader valve in the lid of the can. This setup adds pressure in the can with only a few stomps on the pump.
I then put a pvc pipe and garden valve in the lid for the output.
I can upload more details if you want.
It works great! 519419519419519420

Catalanbull

I've started to adapt my Scepter water cans into a pressurized setup. I will be using a Stompump attached to a small piece plywood for added stability while pumping.
(The Stompump is a high quality bike pump that is operated by using your foot to pump up. ) That is connected to the Schrader valve in the lid of the can. This setup adds pressure in the can with only a few stomps on the pump.
It works great! View attachment 519419View attachment 519419View attachment 519420
I’m working on a very similar project with Scepter cans. I just received this pump:

I want to put together a counter over the fender and make a hole to it to install the pump, then throw a pipe inside of a scepter can. When the can is empty, I just move the pipe to another can. I like the idea of that valve you have, does it screw directly to it or did you have to modify the cans?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
It works great! View attachment 519419View attachment 519419View attachment 519420
More details would be interesting. Thanks

Catalanbull

Do you guys have a 12V battery set up? If so a water pump is super cheap and would make it so you don't have to pump at all.
I’m deciding what size battery and where I’ll mount it, meanwhile I’ll use a manual pump. I don’t plan on running too many lights, but I’m considering moving the fridge from the jeep to the trailer (or adding one to the trailer). I also play with my HF radios when out and I’m wondering whether I want to power them from the trailer or just from the jeep. I don’t use a RTT so I’ll install a solar panel next to the awning.

plutonic

Outsider
My 'search-****' failed me... Have anyone installed a water storage system on their Smittybilt trailer here? Is it possible to mount a @20 gal water tank underneath the trailer, is there enough room for it? Thanks!

thardin68

My 'search-****' failed me... Have anyone installed a water storage system on their Smittybilt trailer here? Is it possible to mount a @20 gal water tank underneath the trailer, is there enough room for it? Thanks!
Well you found the right thread - Start from the beginning and there are a good number of water storage solutions, including tank options under the trailer. Also speak with Habitat, they are working on an option for sale as a package. Not sure if it is rolled out yet......

Fullkontact

The only thing I did was mount a 3.8 gallon WaterPort on the left side of the trailer. Works great for a short weekend and it’s pressurized with air. But then u gotta refill it when out and it’s not really practical for a shower unless u want a short one and cold water(unless summertime).

Fullkontact

Well you found the right thread - Start from the beginning and there are a good number of water storage solutions, including tank options under the trailer. Also speak with Habitat, they are working on an option for sale as a package. Not sure if it is rolled out yet......

How are you getting ahold of Habitat? I’ve tried emailing a couple times and I haven’t received a reply.

ridgeracer

I used this Schrader valve. The vent in the can pops out and this valve goes right in.
Cut off flush for the garden valve to sit flush.519560
1 1/8" ( a bit smaller would have been better ) hole saw to open up the hole for the 18"x1/2" pvc pipe, 1/2" x1/2" male reducer, O ring or some other kind of air seal.
Use teflon tape and screw reducer into tap.519561519562519563519564
The Stompump only come with a few feet of high pressure hose. So I got 11feet of hose to have flexibility to move the foot pump around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles