Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Imgur requires no accounts.

But of course do as you like, just a suggestion

John on another note, would there be anything wrong with having my 50 watt solar panel hooked straight to the Vitron 10 amp Bluetooth controller, but connected via a disconnect switch to the battery.
I have not before had a panel always connected, and my concern is before I connect the battery ( stored disconnected) the fact the panel feeds the Vitron, but the Vitron not connected, will that create a power dissipation problem.?
Now, I can off course just make sure I connect the battery before moving the trailer out from the hanger, but thought I'd ask you.
Thanks

john61ct

Adventurer
Victron.

Not sure exactly what you mean

Yes panel must go through a SC.

Best to have a convenient way to stop power flow between those two.

Battery should always be connected to SC before panel input.

Don’t feel bad, I bought one back in April. Was told by Ivan that it would be here in 4 weeks. We went and spent another 700 to add to the trailer once we got it. After a month I called for an eta. They said in two weeks. After 6 weeks I called again. Morgan told me I never ordered a trailer. So I gave them the invoice. He said another 2 weeks. I told him that’s what was said two weeks ago. He had Ivan call me, and he said another 3 months.

Now we are fighting with smitybilt and 4 wheel of arts to get a refund. We were told that they could refund over card, now they’re saying nope, we can only refund by check, which will be another week and a half. Smitybilt can go straight to hell

Wow, only April? I had mine on order from August and waited to get the 2019 model last week. This is what happens when you get on a waiting list. Calling SB and asking an ETA is for when they get them. They do not sell direct to public so they have no clue what place your order is at in the waiting list. It's like this with any new vehicle, get on the waiting list a year before sometimes is needed. We all waited for the JK 9 months before they got delivered, same with the JL , hellcat and other vehicles.

Sb is the middle man between you and 4wp in getting your refund, you did not give SB your money, you gave it to 4wp and 4wp is doing a refund. Sb has no control over their vendors refund policies. I happen to purchase from both directly as a dealer and they both have bent over backwards when needed to help me get one of those pleasant customers taken care of when something arises. I talked to them recently and they are telling everyone August as they dont know if you ordered it thru say quadratec and then quadratec might have their own waiting list,they dont know where you stand on that list.

thardin68

Don’t feel bad, I bought one back in April. Was told by Ivan that it would be here in 4 weeks. We went and spent another 700 to add to the trailer once we got it. After a month I called for an eta. They said in two weeks. After 6 weeks I called again. Morgan told me I never ordered a trailer. So I gave them the invoice. He said another 2 weeks. I told him that’s what was said two weeks ago. He had Ivan call me, and he said another 3 months.

Now we are fighting with Smitybilt and 4 wheel of arts to get a refund. We were told that they could refund over card, now they’re saying nope, we can only refund by check, which will be another week and a half. Smitybilt can go straight to hell
I see you only have one post on this Forum (which leads me to believe you sought it out only after you had an issue). Sorry you had an issue with "your expectations" and felt you had to come to a fairly "constructive" thread and make disparaging remarks. You are probably posting on the wrong forum, to be honest.

If you had done your due diligence prior to placing your order, it is likely you would have found this thread and would have been aware of the issues SB has had surrounding their efforts to bring this platform to the market. The product fills a void that currently exists and SB is going through the paces to get things sorted out, and I have faith they will. They are a significant company with resources and struggle with bringing great value to the table while being compared to more expensive products pretty much across the board.

I have had only positive experiences with SB directly (probably the BEST customer service I have ever received from a Manufacturer) along with great response from Northridge, 4WP, and Quadratrec. Your mileage may very, but have reasonable expectations and treat people with respect and it goes a long way.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for you and anybody else that is dealing with delays. I was fortunate enough to have a trailer delivered last summer within 2 weeks of placing the order before they switched mfr's. I see many others that are postponing their plans and making alternate accommodations. But bottom line, if living without a refund for 10 days is THAT much of an issue for you, you might want to chose a hobby that is more in line with your financial situation.

mmrocek

Observer
From this 4 day weekend in Mexico. Just living on the beach, 30 miles away from closest population. Here is my jeep on 37's - so anyone looking to get one can see how the trailer sits with stock tires.

Trailer packed up:
519077 519078

Trailer deployed:

519081 519080 519082 519079

the trailer worked out amazingly and I can't wait to go out again.

thardin68

From this 4 day weekend in Mexico. Just living on the beach, 30 miles away from closest population. Here is my jeep on 37's - so anyone looking to get one can see how the trailer sits with stock tires.

Great set-up! You guys dont mess around, looks like a great time!

Sure looks great. It seems like you must be way more organized than I am to fit all that stuff into the trailer. Then again I have to stock pile nerf guns, floaties, boogie boards and every other sand toy imaginable. At least there was room for the Jameson.

mmrocek

Observer
Great set-up! You guys dont mess around, looks like a great time!

Thanks, yeah, been planning for this trip for a while. This is a place we go to at least once a year and a trailer and jeep test for the Baja.

Sure looks great. It seems like you must be way more organized than I am to fit all that stuff into the trailer. Then again I have to stock pile nerf guns, floaties, boogie boards and every other sand toy imaginable. At least there was room for the Jameson.

Haha! I have that coming my way too. Have a 4 month old at home and a nephew that lives nearby that's just over a year. Can't wait to take them on adventures.

Hoologan

View attachment 519076

Trailer packed up:
View attachment 519077View attachment 519078

Trailer deployed:

View attachment 519081View attachment 519080View attachment 519082View attachment 519079

I was wondering why two fridges until I got to the booze pics. ?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer

View attachment 519076

Trailer packed up:
View attachment 519077View attachment 519078

Trailer deployed:

View attachment 519081View attachment 519080View attachment 519082View attachment 519079

Sweet set up. I'm still waiting on my trailer . How did you mount the road shower? I have a 7 gallon road shower and am looking at mounting options.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Victron.

Not sure exactly what you mean

Yes panel must go through a SC.

Best to have a convenient way to stop power flow between those two.

Battery should always be connected to SC before panel input.

Sorry.
Victron 75/10 bluetooth controller.
I left one switch on the panel vacant for that reason.
I will use that to interrupt the panel before the 75/10..... and also make sure the battery have been connected prior to panel connect.
Thanks

Last edited:

misubisu

From this 4 day weekend in Mexico. Just living on the beach, 30 miles away from closest population.
Great pics, thanks for sharing.

How is the 'Backswing' working out...
Are you happy with it?

My Backswing has arrived and I have made the hitch drop for it.
I'll be welding up the wheel mount this weekend, so will have pics of the end result by the end on the coming weekend.
The design I have done up is a rather different from your setup. I want to have the wheel in as close to the back of the trailer as practicable.

You people over in the US are lucky, as everything is available to purchase. Over here in Australia, there isn't the availability of the accessories (unless you pay exorbitant postage prices). Fortunately, I enjoy making things.

mmrocek

Observer
I was wondering why two fridges until I got to the booze pics. ?

Ha! Yes, the smaller Dometic was a freezer with liquor and ice cream in it.

Sweet set up. I'm still waiting on my trailer . How did you mount the road shower? I have a 7 gallon road shower and am looking at mounting options.

Thanks! The road shower was probably the easiest thing to mount on the trailer. Mine is the 7 gallon as well and it is mounted using the provided bolts to the tent arm. I don't believe I had to drill anything, just utilized the existing holes on the arms. I did have to lift it slightly so I put industrial packing foam between it and the trailer.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

How is the 'Backswing' working out...
Are you happy with it?

My Backswing has arrived and I have made the hitch drop for it.
I'll be welding up the wheel mount this weekend, so will have pics of the end result by the end on the coming weekend.
The design I have done up is a rather different from your setup. I want to have the wheel in as close to the back of the trailer as practicable.

You people over in the US are lucky, as everything is available to purchase. Over here in Australia, there isn't the availability of the accessories (unless you pay exorbitant postage prices). Fortunately, I enjoy making things.

So the Yakima Backswing is working out in a sense that it is sturdy and can hold the load no problem with no play. Neither bouncing up and down the beach, nor the amazing Mexican roads made it swing or loosen. I am still not excited about the departure angle of the trailer with it on, but I may just keep it on as it helps to offset the tongue weight a bit more. Also it is modular in a sense that I can take the tire off, slide it between the tent and trailer and use the Backswing to hold our bikes. I'm looking forward to see yours mounted. And yes, we have it good here in the US with the parts availability which is interesting since China, where most parts are made, is much closer to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles