Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

jojackc

Pulled a half day at work today. Told my boss (Me) he could shove it I'm working on my Trailer haha. Got the New max coupler installed. Also installed the new trailer awning. I will let you guys know how I like it. It is a cheap POS maybe lol. It's made by Yescom. From what I have read it's the same as ARB just with cheaper components. A few of my friends have ARB's so I can tell you already the Fabric is thinner. The metal seems to be the same except maybe the legs. From what I have read you can buy the replacement ARB Fabric and legs and still be under what ARB charges so I figured what the heck. It was only $170 on amazon for a 8x8 awning. Also installed the electrical switch panel. Man that was so nervous cutting. I was like please be right, please be right haha. Also did the sight change file requirements or something? I keep having issues uploading photos. I have always taken photos with my phone and have never had an issue. Starting last month when I went on my fishing trip that has changed. Not a new phone so I don't think that's the issue.

CementTaco

I have a Scout on order from OK4WD in Western NJ. Word is the Smittybilt rep expects 2 containers to land soon. The 1st container has sold and un-allocated units on it. They clear customs, clear Smittybilt inspection and start filling orders. I am told the end of May is the expected timeframe.

Main changes:

1) Complete trailer - no option w/o wheels

2) Includes VIN

3) Changed manufacturing plant

4) Beefed-up or better welded framework between box and tongue

My plan: Fab up a 3rd loadbar or create a frame running parallel to the factory crossbars to support the RTT we bought: CVT Mt. Denali Extended Stargazer Summit - biggest damned tent I could find! This tent (per manufacturer) requires 3 load bars like the CVT trailer offers however we truly need the adjustable loadbar height for two reasons:

1) Fit it in the garage

2) Keep the on-road center of gravity as low as possible. This tent is 320 pounds!!!!

I've seen some folks (...and a modification company video on youtube, the name escapes me - sorry!) have added gas strut thingamabobs like your hood or trunk has. We're going to be doing that and/or replacing the loadbar units with something new which may work more smoothly.

Anyone with links to other mods you've seen, PLEASE share them with me!

bshinn

Anyone looking at the Scout should take a hard look at the Back Series Sergeant. I just bought a Crux 1610 and if I knew the Sergeant was out there it would have affected my decision. Trailer, RTT, Annex, electrical system, onboard water and more for about $1K more than the Scout. And you don't have to assemble it.

Not intending to stir the pot here, just offering other options.

jojackc

Anyone looking at the Scout should take a hard look at the Back Series Sergeant. I just bought a Crux 1610 and if I knew the Sergeant was out there it would have affected my decision. Trailer, RTT, Annex, electrical system, onboard water and more for about $1K more than the Scout. And you don't have to assemble it.

Not intending to stir the pot here, just offering other options.

You must have gotten a deal. They sale the Crux 1610 at a local RV shop here in Arizona and they are going for $13,000 plus tax, title, licence.

jojackc

For those that have wired lights into their trailers. Did you run a negative wire all the way back to the battery or just add a negative/neutral post near the lights/use an existing screw?

FISHES

I've been lurking a while, this is my 4th trip out with the trailer. Have made a few modifications, more to follow. I'll add more picture later! This is a great group - so many great ideas!

McDowra

Observer
For those that have wired lights into their trailers. Did you run a negative wire all the way back to the battery or just add a negative/neutral post near the lights/use an existing screw?
I ran the negative wire back to battery, you got to run the positive there so it isn't any trouble.

FISHES

So what did you do to relocate the spare to the back of the trailer? At least it looks like you did.

The tires and wheels from my Jeep match the trailer... so I have to only carry one spare. I mounted some jerry can holders in that space and it works well - but the setup Silverback has is the direction I want to go (but I dont weld!!!) so that will be an upgrade.

I also like the leveling jack mounting plate available from Habitat Off Road, and considering that as well. Its a great trailer - like I mentioned 4th trip out in it, three to the Outer Banks in NC and one to the hills in GA. Pulls well, and is TOUGH.

FISHES

Copying is the finest form of flattery :)
I have been making some additions to my trailer; adding interior LED lighting, switch panel, battery (etc..), installing a RTT, adding a table on top of the fender in the kitchen area.
I am now looking for solar charging and exterior lighting solutions... cant wait to actually take it out and use it!
Greensleeves - is your kitchen drawer reversed???

thardin68

Hi all, getting ready to grab a SnowMaster fridge freezer unit. Want to grab the biggest one that will fit in the main compartment (US Drivers side).

Anybody know the dimensions available on this slide? I am out of the country and unable to verify.

We are taking a 5 month trip, so big is key.

bshinn

You must have gotten a deal. They sale the Crux 1610 at a local RV shop here in Arizona and they are going for $13,000 plus tax, title, licence.
That's about what I paid for the Crux. The Sergeant is what I was referring to. The advertised price is $9K

YYCRod

Hi all, getting ready to grab a SnowMaster fridge freezer unit. Want to grab the biggest one that will fit in the main compartment (US Drivers side).

Anybody know the dimensions available on this slide? I am out of the country and unable to verify.

We are taking a 5 month trip, so big is key.

The Snowmaster Expedition series 66 litre fridge/freezer is a perfect fit. Ran mine all last summer, never failed me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier