Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Kraxler

Ran into an interesting problem. The ebrakes stopped working. Took it to a shop and they couldn't find anything wrong but the started to work. But I also noticed that with the brake control set to max braking the tires wouldn't lock up. They work but the deacceleration is not quite what I would expect. Anyone having issues with the brakes?

jojackc

I also set mine to max and the tires would not lock up. I thought this might be by design. I haven't ran into anything I would say was a problem so far. But on this longer mileage trip I did notice the trailer brakes release way after my truck brakes do. It mostly happen in stop and go traffic and when going in and out of gas stations. I would feel like the truck was dragged down then the brakes would release and I would be off again.

jojackc

So I do an Annual trip to Pyramid lake for fishing. This was the first year camping on the lake and it was so much fun. Usually it is a 10-12 person trip but a lot of people couldn't make it this year so it ended up being only two of us. Fishing was slow. But we still had a great time. Also learned a lesson or two lol. So don't keep food in your Annex even if its not bear country. Mice ate a big hole in my Annex to eat some hamburger buns. Was gonna share some photos but the site says they are all to big lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20190405_124208.jpg
    IMG_20190405_124208.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG952918.jpg
    IMG952918.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG952919.jpg
    IMG952919.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG952924.jpg
    IMG952924.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG952926.jpg
    IMG952926.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG952929.jpg
    IMG952929.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG952930.jpg
    IMG952930.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 40

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Ran into an interesting problem. The ebrakes stopped working. Took it to a shop and they couldn't find anything wrong but the started to work. But I also noticed that with the brake control set to max braking the tires wouldn't lock up. They work but the deacceleration is not quite what I would expect. Anyone having issues with the brakes?

I have no issues with mine. Tow vehicle is 2018 F-150 with OEM brake controller. when I tug on the brake controller you can clearly feel that the trailer pulls. Effort is medium at 5.
The fact that they did work but then reduced in effort, would lead me to say an electrical connection. True that is you did not ratchet them when building the trailer they would have reduced effectivity, but then they would not work normal and then quit.
If we assume the electrical solenoids are working then it can only be a matter of a low current bottle neck, like bad connection on your tow vehicles plug, or somewhere along the dc12V wire backwards. I took out the Smitty battery and charger after installing my own battery, but I suspect that that system could be at fault as well. If memory serves me correct, then there is a warning about testing the breakaway with the tow vehicle connected. I would investigate that. You can start by using a volt/amp meter and connect it to the tow vehicles brake dc12Volt wire and apply the brakes. If you see the voltage/current increase then your vehicle is ok. Then move backwards all the way to the solenoid on the wheel. Then go from there.

They aren't designed to lock up but rather slow the trailer. Since they had more grab before, Make sure they are adjusted and the magnets are good. Then look at voltage at the connector by the axle and compare to the voltage coming out of the brake controller right as it comes out of the controller. If thats all good, i would say look for a bad ground. Even open up the 7 pin connector and make sure everything is tight in there, i've seen a few have wires come loose and cause electrical problems.

jojackc

How is that Habitat lift working for you. Is it as easy as it really looks? Right now I use two scissor jacks and it works out ok as long as everyone is turning at the same speed.

Kraxler

Works pretty good. I've done it by myself but it's easier with 2 people. The struts have a nice amount of force so up is very easy with one person. Down is a little trickier. Getting 2 bodies pulling down at the same rate and force is the issue. I had my daughter help this afternoon and she had a hard time applying enough force down. So I had her pull down and I went back an forth from side to side to even things out. Took maybe 3 minutes to get down. With a little practice I'm sure it would go faster and smoother.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Propane bottle is not fully installed. The line runs from way back to the Carbon Fiber tankless water heater box. In there it has the regulator for the water heater, but prior to that will tee off to the quick release mount for the Stove and Grill. This was the plan all along as the big box was created.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94