Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I don't, but I am about 100% certain you will rub...…. a lot. The Smitty flexes very nicely, and you will have contact.

thardin68

I don't, but I am about 100% certain you will rub...…. a lot. The Smitty flexes very nicely, and you will have contact.

OK, Good feedback. I guess I will do the right thing, pull the springs and cycle the suspension to mock it up.. I'm thinking add in some fender width and raise them a couple / 3 inches.

If I dont, I will second guess myself forever anyway....

ebrabaek

Adventurer
OK, Good feedback. I guess I will do the right thing, pull the springs and cycle the suspension to mock it up.. I'm thinking add in some fender width and raise them a couple / 3 inches.

If I dont, I will second guess myself forever anyway....

If you pull the pin on one of the straps, and then jack the trailer with the OEM jacks, just remove the spring and let one side drop. Smity says you can use 35's, but the stock 33's are pretty close when you push it.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Fenders & 37" tires - Hi all. Wondering if anybody has experience with the scout on rough terrain with 37" tires? Any major rubbing or need to re position fenders?

I run 5x5.5 set-up on the Jeep due to some aftermarket upgrades (not stock bolt pattern). I run 37x13.5 Toyo MT's on 17" x 9.5" Monster Beadlocks and 4.0" BS. In order to run the same wheel / tire set up on the trailer (I wanted to limit to one spare for Jeep and Trailer) I went with a 1.25" spacer / adapter to change bolt pattern.

View attachment 503984

I placed the set-up on the trailer to tow it home from where I partially assembled it and noted the wheel & tire combo extends beyond the fenders quite a bit. I am considering a modification to the fenders to extend them or simply adding some mud flaps. What I am trying to get at here, is if anybody is having any hard rubbing issues while running 37" tires on aggressive trails? I want to take any fender relocation requirements into account NOW, before I make modifications and mount my side boxes (went with HF tongue boxes) over the fenders. I hate doing things twice, and dont have time to mount, load down trailer and test before a big trip. If any have had any rubbing issues, please give me a shout.

I am likely going to need flaps to be compliant for the inspection / registration process and thinking I am going to get a pair of these removable flaps for the jeep and a pair for the trailer (removable for nasty trails / obstacles)
View attachment 503988

What kind of flaps are these?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Can anyone tell me what the height underneath the cross bars to the top the trailer deck is at the lowest posistion and the highest ? What are the height adjustment intervals ?

I am thinking of mounting the spare tire on top of the trailer .

Thanks

Roam54

Few more photos of the rear bumper. The last one shows how the guy that made the bumper reused the stabilizer mount points and moved them to the bumper. It has been much more usable this way. Keeps them up and out of the way without interfering with the rear door.

View attachment 503374

View attachment 503375

View attachment 503376

View attachment 503377

Great looking setup on the back end!

I'm wondering if you have a shot from under to show exactly how it's attached?? Also, how do you find it tracks now with the extra weight of the bumper, fuel, spare etc on the back??

bobebm

I emailed Matt from SB (who has always been very helpful in the past) and he sent me the instructions that should have been packed with the reinforcement brackets.

Attachments

• SB87400-90_INST_11.25.18.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 42

bobebm

Water project done. The basis of the project came mostly from RWB_Runner post way back on page 9 of this thread.

From Smittybilt representive! The original design was in front of the trailing arms. It hung too low and added some tongue weigh, which I didnt like. It was just over 15 gallons. … it was quite expensive to produce. If I were to do one, I'd put it in between the trailing arms, as far reward as possible. This basically puts the load slight reward of the axle line. I had it plumbed with a 12 volt on demand pump. 18x18 x 7 would fit nicely and give you about 9.8 gallons. I would have the fill port in the middle so that a hole could be placed between the rear sliding drawers"

We used a 10-gallon tank 17x14x10. We will do a couple of trips and have some ideas on how to expand if our missions dictate the need for more. I did take Habitat's idea of a faucet. I would have waited for their solution but already used my generator box for my electrical setup and liked the idea of less tongue weight. We decided to put the tank less water heater away from under the tent or the front. Instead of trying to pipe another connection from the propane tank in the front, will just use a propane bottle. Still looking how to mount on the back door also. The picture from underneath is not very good, but you may be able to see that the tank is out of the way of the suspension and relatively protected. We did put on a thin sheet of aluminum as a rock guard. It won,t pass as a skid plate, but it would have to be very unusual to see a scenario where you would need it in that exact location.

Now, get those brackets on and off to Big Sur in a couple of weeks!

Last edited:

thardin68

Water project done. The basis of the project came mostly from RWB_Runner post way back on page 9 of this thread.

From Smittybilt representive! The original design was in front of the trailing arms. It hung too low and added some tongue weigh, which I didnt like. It was just over 15 gallons. … it was quite expensive to produce. If I were to do one, I'd put it in between the trailing arms, as far reward as possible. This basically puts the load slight reward of the axle line. I had it plumbed with a 12 volt on demand pump. 18x18 x 7 would fit nicely and give you about 9.8 gallons. I would have the fill port in the middle so that a hole could be placed between the rear sliding drawers"

We used a 10-gallon tank 17x14x10. We will do a couple of trips and have some ideas on how to expand if our missions dictate the need for more. I did take Habitat's idea of a faucet. I would have waited for their solution but already used my generator box for my electrical setup and liked the idea of less tongue weight. We decided to put the tank less water heater away from under the tent or the front. Instead of trying to pipe another connection from the propane tank in the front, will just use a propane bottle. Still looking how to mount on the back door also. The picture from underneath is not very good, but you may be able to see that the tank is out of the way of the suspension and relatively protected. We did put on a thin sheet of aluminum as a rock guard. It won,t pass a skid plate, but it would have to be very unusual to see a scenario where you would need it in that exact location.

Now, get those brackets on and off to Big Sur in a couple of weeks!
View attachment 504331View attachment 504332View attachment 504333View attachment 504334View attachment 504335View attachment 504341
Awesome write up! Thanks for sharing. Just ordered a bunch of stuff on Amazon!

Can anyone tell me what the height underneath the cross bars to the top the trailer deck is at the lowest posistion and the highest ? What are the height adjustment intervals ?

I am thinking of mounting the spare tire on top of the trailer .

Thanks

something like 2.25" lowest and a hair over 12" highest.

adjustment intervals are about 2.25504407504408" or so.

Attachments

• 20161213_142520.jpg
    20161213_142520.jpg
    904.2 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier