Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Michal4Runner

So I have a Family of four. My wife, two girls (4 and 8), my fat self fit just fine in the smittybult XL roof top tent. We also purchased the annex with the plan to have the girls sleep down there with an air up mattress. The girls want to sleep up top though lol. The dog (a 90lb blue tick coon hound) gets the annex all to her self lol. It could easily fit a queen size air up mattress and the dog though. I have read other people having problems with the XL roof top tent bending on them when put on the trailer. I have not had this issue. But I will say that the Annex does not fit right on the trailer. Even on the max pin setting the annex is not high enough. I have fixed this by bringing car ramps with me that you would work on your car with. I drive the trailer onto them. Then use those huge plastic lego type trailer helpers to level out the trailer. I plan on building new tent risers that are much longer then can just raise the tent to the right level. I would also like to make a set up where the tent assembly can be pushed out from the trailer once in place. Even if I raise the annex it is still too close to the tire. I could off set it but I feel like towing would feel it.
Thank you jojackc. Much appreciated!

bobebm

It is the Tuff Stuff Elite Overland RTT and Annex. We were pleasantly surprise how much room it had. We are two adults, two 7 year olds and a 75 lb German Shepherd. More than enough room even though the dog insists on laying on us. Full disclosure we won a raffle for the smaller tent at a show and and paid the difference for upgrade. We picked it up locally, and Brett was very helpful. Actually almost bought their trailer until we finally decided on the Scout. We also bought the anti condensation pad. We are very happy with the tent and would recommend. I don't know where you live, but they usually have the tent on display at most of the local shows in California and they will be at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff in May. Good luck!

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Few more photos of the rear bumper. The last one shows how the guy that made the bumper reused the stabilizer mount points and moved them to the bumper. It has been much more usable this way. Keeps them up and out of the way without interfering with the rear door.

View attachment 503376

Were there a particular reason that they did not feed the new 2 inch hitch extend into the 2 inch OEM hitch?? Perhaps not same height, as it is hard to see in the picture. When I build mine I liked the three point anchor. That build started with a hitch extender piece that essentially extended the new 2 inch receiver from the old one.
It looks like a really nice setup. Your welder could make many smitty friends now.... :) :)

MOD3RNFJ

Were there a particular reason that they did not feed the new 2 inch hitch extend into the 2 inch OEM hitch?? Perhaps not same height, as it is hard to see in the picture. When I build mine I liked the three point anchor. That build started with a hitch extender piece that essentially extended the new 2 inch receiver from the old one.
It looks like a really nice setup. Your welder could make many smitty friends now.... :):)
Yes it was a height issue. Welding on two tabs behind the OEM shackle points gives four points of contact. We talked about using the hitch but I opted not to for height considerations and I didn't think the increase in strength was a fair trade off.

Catabler

If anyone is waiting on an order, Smittybilt just replied to my question about delivery. They hope to have more Scouts before the end of April.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Yes it was a height issue. Welding on two tabs behind the OEM shackle points gives four points of contact. We talked about using the hitch but I opted not to for height considerations and I didn't think the increase in strength was a fair trade off.

That makes sense.
One great looking bumper that is....

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Side box installed. As a matter of fact I was a bit nervous as it is a tongue box, but I like how it looks. So much in fact that I went back to Harbor freight to buy another one for the other side.
25% off today, which brought each unit to $90. Looks OEM IMHO.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-34-cu-ft-steel-trailer-tongue-box-62253.html

Unfortunately I cant upload any pictures anymore after the site redo. It returns stating files are too large.

Edit: Fixed after I resized each picture to 25% of original.

Did you bolt the box to both the fender and the side of the trailer?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Yes. I added Toyota pattern adapters so I could standardize the wheels\tires and ditch the spare on the trailer. The area freed is now water storage. No issues so far. Adds a few inches to the wheel track.
How wide were the spacers?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Did you bolt the box to both the fender and the side of the trailer?

I used the two, or was it 4.... I cant remember, bolts that holds the smitty logo in place. As you cut that sealant for the logo, I reversed the logo, so it now sits inside the box. I used a silicone flex adhesive and after marking the outline on the fender, laid a heavy bead on the fender, and then carefully sat the box down on the fender, reusing the logo holes that I had drilled in the box. Works really great. No issues. Lots of dirt and potholes. I also used fender washers on the inside of the HF box.

thardin68

Fenders & 37" tires - Hi all. Wondering if anybody has experience with the scout on rough terrain with 37" tires? Any major rubbing or need to re position fenders?

I run 5x5.5 set-up on the Jeep due to some aftermarket upgrades (not stock bolt pattern). I run 37x13.5 Toyo MT's on 17" x 9.5" Monster Beadlocks and 4.0" BS. In order to run the same wheel / tire set up on the trailer (I wanted to limit to one spare for Jeep and Trailer) I went with a 1.25" spacer / adapter to change bolt pattern.

I placed the set-up on the trailer to tow it home from where I partially assembled it and noted the wheel & tire combo extends beyond the fenders quite a bit. I am considering a modification to the fenders to extend them or simply adding some mud flaps. What I am trying to get at here, is if anybody is having any hard rubbing issues while running 37" tires on aggressive trails? I want to take any fender relocation requirements into account NOW, before I make modifications and mount my side boxes (went with HF tongue boxes) over the fenders. I hate doing things twice, and dont have time to mount, load down trailer and test before a big trip. If any have had any rubbing issues, please give me a shout.

I am likely going to need flaps to be compliant for the inspection / registration process and thinking I am going to get a pair of these removable flaps for the jeep and a pair for the trailer (removable for nasty trails / obstacles)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior