Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Just want to let you guys know that I have received the reinforcement part from SB. I will try to find some time this weekend to put it on. To be continued....
did you install the reinforcement? and how did you order it? i dont see it offered on their site........thanks!

Kraxler

I got my reinforcement brackets several weeks ago and installed them myself. The instructions are clear enough and it's not hard to do. I had emailed Smittybuilt about something else and then just asked for them.

OregonJKU

I got my reinforcement brackets several weeks ago and installed them myself. The instructions are clear enough and it's not hard to do. I had emailed Smittybuilt about something else and then just asked for them.
What do you think? Will it make much of a difference? Can you post pics?

Kraxler

I think they will definitely help. How much? I'm not home right now so can't get a photo. They basically bolt on the the 2 bolts on each side on the bottom that connect the tongue to the trailer frame. There are several other bolts the go through the reenfocement brackets through existing bolt holes for the spare tire mount and the tongue box. Very way to do.

bobebm

We went on our second trip last weekend and tested out our new dog ramp and electrical set up. The dog ramp was inspired by OregonJKU way back on this thread. We took a ATV dual aluminum ramp at Harbor Freight and converted to a long dog ramp. A little shaky in the middle but worked! And it was much better than trying to carry a 75 lb German Shepherd up and down the ladder. I will put up some pictures up on our electrical set up soon.
IMG_5480.JPG

One more project was the gas struts to help lift the tent . This was harder than we anticipated. We initially got the idea from the Habitat video (great ideas and hope to buy some of their kits when they come out). Our tent is close to 195 lbs, so my first instincts was to look for 50 lbs struts (simple math right? 4 x 50 =200) We talked with our local strut provider and they were very helpful but thought we should start with 30lb struts first. We had to take the side panels off because the pistons were rubbing against them and learn from the supplier that the fat part should be on the top side (unlike the video) for lubrication purposes (I think). It wasn't even close too enough force and tried the 40 lbs and it was helpful but still not enough. We went to 60lbs each and now can easily raise the tent up to the last hole. There still are a few kinks like the pins slightly rub the pistons and it still takes even pressure to push up and push down so it still takes 2 people, but couldn't imagine how my wife and i could have raised and lowered the tent without the assistance out on the trailView attachment 489676View attachment 489677
This...is.....awesome!!!! can you share what you used to connect the lift supports to the trailer? looks like on top you have a bracket and below a bolt? can you please give more setail?

bobebm

This...is.....awesome!!!! can you share what you used to connect the lift supports to the trailer? looks like on top you have a bracket and below a bolt? can you please give more setail?

Below are the main points I left earlier on the thread. Go back to pages 92, 95 and 96 for additional comments, especially Wynn's pictures. He did a better job in locating the mounts. One update, last weekend I decided to try to raise the tent by myself (over 200lbs). No problem at all. Like most things it just took a little practice here and there to figure it out. Very happy with it and wish you luck! Let us know how it goes.

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/lift-supports-depot-st360p60s10-gas-charged-lift-support/
Extended Length: 36.00
Stroke C [in]: 15.20
Compressed Length B [in]: 20.75
Jessica at Lift Support Depot was a great help to us

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/e...-8-3-hole-mount-angle-bracket-s316-stainless/
These are the top mounts and found long enough bolts and nuts (home depot) to go through the length of the tent support bracket

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/search/search-results/?search_query=+A-bs8ext+

Bottom mounts and got the washer and nuts at home depot.

Ours does not go up as smoothly as Habitat. A little pull and push to get it up and down, but relatively easy and no way we would be able to raise without it. A couple of tips, you will need to take off the side panels (attached inside) so as not to rub the piston. Also be careful where you put the bottom bracket. We decide to go straight down from the top bracket and if able to do over, would angle it just slightly inside, since now, the pin for the tent support bracket slightly rubs the piston. Take into consideration the weight you are trying to raise. We have a large tent weighing close to 200lbs. Although the 40lbs struts helped a little, we really needed to go to the 60lbs struts. When attaching them to the bracket It takes a little bit of muscle to compress the strut (especially the 60lbs struts) to pop them on. Funny, with my wife, it took us about 10 minutes to put the first one on and then about 10 seconds each for the other 3, once we figured out the right angle.

bobebm

One more suggestion. I looked this morning and Habitat Off Road strut system is finally up and running. You may want to look at getting their set up. Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun creating, getting frustrated and solving issues on our own but from the looks of their instructions, they are very precise and takes a lot of the guesswork out of the equation. especially if you want to keep the side panels on. I also see they recommend putting the struts right side up vs. their video. It would be interested to get a review from someone on this forum and supporting a company that is bringing Scout modification options to the market is an additional plus. Either way let us know how it goes.

https://habitatoffroad.com/collecti...cts/tent-rack-lift-strut-kit-smittybilt-scout

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I can see how the lift system might be a good idea for people that tows the smitty with a smaller ride. My smitty is about level with the roof line of the 2018 F-onfitty, but more importantly to me, the empty space between the tent and box will eventually have a rack and perhaps some other means of storrage for items, so for me it would not be needed.

bobebm

I can see how the lift system might be a good idea for people that tows the smitty with a smaller ride. My smitty is about level with the roof line of the 2018 F-onfitty, but more importantly to me, the empty space between the tent and box will eventually have a rack and perhaps some other means of storrage for items, so for me it would not be needed.

The two main reasons we raise our tent once we get to our destination is to make room for the annex attachment and it changes the angle of the two ladders which provide better support for the folded out portion hanging off the side.

OregonJKU

We went on our second trip last weekend and tested out our new dog ramp and electrical set up. The dog ramp was inspired by OregonJKU way back on this thread. We took a ATV dual aluminum ramp at Harbor Freight and converted to a long dog ramp. A little shaky in the middle but worked! And it was much better than trying to carry a 75 lb German Shepherd up and down the ladder. I will put up some pictures up on our electrical set up soon.
View attachment 497805
Happy to hear it worked out for you

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Now curing and about ready to cast the lid......
I see the light and it's not a freight train.... ha.
20190205_090210.jpg

Here is a question for the collective. The entire inner side of the opening will have a 1-2mm vertical brace. I plan to round up a weather strip gasket like the Smitty has on the main openings. Any one knows where to source them?

Kind of like this one.....
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94