Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Tkhawk

Adventurer
I've been lurking around for a while and have thought about building my own trailer, I've even started drawing it up in CAD. But I've got a 2 and 4 year old that I want to take camping more and I've decided that it would take me years to complete it. So, I've been eyeing the trailers in the for sale section and trying to sell my Harley to fund a trailer. Then I remembered the Scout trailer and it's got a pretty good price point.

Does anyone have one or had their hands on one? I like that its got the front side doors and pull out drawers vs. the general 416 design with just the rear door/gate. But it looks like the axle is too far back because of this. It seems like it would be hard to get a 60/40 distribution.

Forgive me if there is already a review of one on here, I searched but didn't find any.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Here's the trailer. Everything in the picture may not come with it (like the tent and awning? I'm pretty sure they don't). Looks nice; although I'm not a fan of the independent rear axle (would rather have springs and a solid axle). 5 on 5 bolt pattern limits it to JKs; wonder how hard it would be to change the bolt pattern (without the use of adapters). I like the concept (simple box); would like to see one in person to judge the execution of the build.

Kudos for including a spare tire (if it does come with one), and for having a 2" receiver up front. At least it has a spot for a spare tire.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/smittybilt/scout-trailer

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Outdoor-...aspx?t_c=88&t_s=618&t_pt=101904&t_pn=S/B87400

Smittybilt trailer.1.JPG

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I've seen it, to include the current production version and two previous developmental models and have had a chance to poke and prod it a bit. It is an interesting package at this price point. We have considered it as an alternative to our current recurring rentals of off-road teardrop trailers. I like that it fits in a garage. I like that it is already configured with sliders in all of the compartments. I do not like that it is black, I do not like that the fenders do not cover the tires, and I do not like that the "no tires and wheels" version isn't available yet as I'd prefer to have matching tires and wheels to the rig.

Umbrarian

Observer
Smittybilt is showing these off at 4Wheel Drive TruckFest events. I saw it here in Dallas. It seems they were trying to hit a price point, rather than make the ultimate trailer. Most of what you see is priced ala cart. Seemed to have reasonable features and construction for most folks needs.

rnArmy

Adventurer
This is what it comes with:

•Removable/adjustable fenders , Up to 37" Tires.
•Pro Comp AT Sport tires 265/70R17 mounted on Pro Comp Series 51 Steel Wheels (qty3).
•5x5 Wheel Bolt pattern
•All doors equipped with locking t-handle latches.
•3 main doors with Slider draw system
•S/S sliders with 200 lbs. capacity
•Rear sliders have hold open/closed latches to prevent unwanted movement.
•All sliders equipped with hold close latches.
•Kitchenette cabinet with locking drawer.
•Generator/fridge cabinet with Mesh floor
•Integrated tie down points front and sides. 2 front, 4 each side one on top of main compartment.
•Electric brakes with integrated break away brake system.
•7 pin trailer wiring socket
•2" front receiver /hitch mount adaptable to use articulating hitch or pintle hook
•2" rear receiver hitch for mounting accessories.
•Two rear mounted shackle mounts for ¾" shackles.
•2" Ball coupler included
•Large main compartment with dual sliding floors.
•Removable Swing-Away tongue jack with large all terrain tire.
•Dual rear removable stabilizer jacks for trailer leveling.
•Top rack system to allow adjustability of height of tent for extra storage.
•Integrated parking brake.

I think they pretty much nailed it as far as what most folks want (and not charging for a lot of extra stuff most folks don't think are a necessity). The price-point is very competitive. Put on an RTT of your choice and an awning, put a cooler (or electric fridge) inside, pack-it-up and go explore! I appreciate it is wired for electric brakes and a parking brake. I wonder if it is wired to the fridge tray to make hooking one up easy.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Durability vs. value is my only concern with this trailer. Knowing that most of the sourcing and production were done with a specific price point in mind gives me pause for long term ownership...and running my favorite stretch of Saline Valley Rd. with no structural issues.

I've witnessed that section of country claim one Chinese trailer build...

IMG_1017.jpg

Silverback07

Adventurer
Unfortunately I had to use adapters. The drums it comes with are really designed for a smaller size trailer, all the 6x5.5 drums I could find are designed for larger trailers and had a much larger outer bearing. So adapters it was.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Durability vs. value is my only concern with this trailer. Knowing that most of the sourcing and production were done with a specific price point in mind gives me pause for long term ownership...and running my favorite stretch of Saline Valley Rd. with no structural issues.

I've witnessed that section of country claim one Chinese trailer build...

Thanks, a lot of great input and thoughts.

Quality was one of my initial concerns because Smittybilt started out with many quality issues, but they seem to stepping it up here lately.

Also, I've got a JKU so the 5 on 5 is a plus for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste