Smittybilt RTT anyone seen one or use one

troyboy162

Adventurer
Thank you for the critical review on the tent. I have a feeling your issues may be common with at least the affordable Chinese tents if not more. I think a guy with more money invested would just show up saying " Happy Tepui RTT and Awning owner here. Use it all the time", instead of looking for problems as you have during the best rain storm we've seen this year.

Any chance you could post pictures? I'd love to see reviews like you have of other tents with pictures to compare. Even just pictures of your repairs would be great. I bet you can seal a seam yourself better then a factory, although its a bummer you have to at all.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
I too would like to see pictures. I agree having to fix stuff that shouldn't be an issue in the first place is a bit annoying but on the flip side if that tent is fine in the end, flaws in all, but saves you 500 bucks over similar models then thats not shabby in my book.

captwoody

Adventurer
I posted pics of tent with my first post so I am guessing pics of the problems is what you are looking for. So i will try to get some pics after christmas. I get home from fire station on the 28th ,dont think i will have time tomorrow.so since we have time give me a shopping list of pics you want and i will try to get them.

deadly99

Explorer
Question for those who own one. Just set mine up and I am puzzled by one thing. The cover and how it attaches. There is a beige strip with velcro that is attached to the cover. It seems safe to assume that strip attaches to the base of the tent, then you undo the velcro to remove the cover. I can't seem to figure out where or how that strip attaches to the tent. Instructions have a blurry photo which doesn't help.

Help would be appreciated.

Otherwise it seems nice given its price. Bought some seam sealer and will give it a good going over.

Thanks in advance

ennored

The thin strip should got into the groove in base. Once there, it stays. Funny they didn't assemble that, given that everything else is already assembled.

deadly99

Explorer
The thin strip should got into the groove in base. Once there, it stays. Funny they didn't assemble that, given that everything else is already assembled.

Just figured it out after a few hours of staring at this morning. Thanks though. My brain went past the simple solution which was right there in front of me and began wondering about if I was supposed to glue it to the bottom, or bolt to the bottom or something...even contemplated I got a dud from the factory in China :)

CurtStyler

Observer
4 Wheel Parts also lets you pick up in store and save on shipping. I just got one for $659 :Wow1:

I had but the idea of getting a RTT on the back burner but at that price I whipped out my card on the spot.

I'll give a full review once I get it. I can't wait. I'm going to have to install it in the parking lot because it won't fit inside my car.

siebermd

Adventurer
Yep, they got me too. I was all about staying away from the RTT because of the weight and bulk. But for this price... Im looking forward to giving it a shot. Im still keeping my light weight set up. But if the fam is going with me, I will be taking the RTT. Hope this beautiful weather holds out!

C-Fish

Adventurer
Make sure you add the extended warranty on the tent. It covers you for 3 years at full replacement.
The warranty covers you, no questions asked, even if YOU break it.

10% of the pre tax cost...So....~$60 give or take.
You have 30 days from purchase to add the XWAR to the item.

I'm the ASM at the store in Mesa, AZ. 480-464-8010

I've sold a few of these to locals and all are happy with the price/value associated.

Mark

F40

Adventurer
I bought one of these from Mark. I've spent 5 nights in it in the month I've had it. The velcro cover is a giant pain in the phallus, consider upgrading to one from a Kukenam. Seems well built, I plan on using seam sealer where they went a little off track on the stitching.

So about that warranty... ;)
624AFD52-8B80-49B5-A14D-5C31A5EABF0B_zpso24uoxd8.jpg

Mdaily90

4 Wheel Parts also lets you pick up in store and save on shipping. I just got one for $659 :Wow1:

I had but the idea of getting a RTT on the back burner but at that price I whipped out my card on the spot.

I'll give a full review once I get it. I can't wait. I'm going to have to install it in the parking lot because it won't fit inside my car.

How were you able to get such a killer deal? I noticed that some others also mentioned a discount. I am planning to buy a Smittybuilt RTT for use on my Impreza Sport and my FZJ80 in the next month or so. The best deal I can find seems to be Amazon $799 with free shipping. Any tips you or others can offer though are appreciated.

Cheers,

Airmapper

Inactive Member
How were you able to get such a killer deal? I noticed that some others also mentioned a discount. I am planning to buy a Smittybuilt RTT for use on my Impreza Sport and my FZJ80 in the next month or so. The best deal I can find seems to be Amazon $799 with free shipping. Any tips you or others can offer though are appreciated.

Cheers,

Yeah I'm wondering that as well, I'm on the fence about buying one. Amazon makes me nervous, but it's $850 at 4wheelparts and I'd have to go pick it up 80 miles away in Nashville. I wonder how and if the warranty is good from a 3rd party vendor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94