Smittybilt overlander 2783

C.L.H

For all those looking for an entry-level RTT, take a look at the Smittybilt. Considered the ARB Simpson but wasn't sure how I would like rtt camping. Purchased my rtt through 4wheelparts with a five-year aftermarket warranty. Absolutely love it. From what I can tell construction and material is great, seams appear strong.. Only thing I added was an air mattress for comfort.. my only regret is that I got the smaller version. Should have gotten to 2883 larger tent but for $799 after promotions, I'm still happy.
3f4bb62114f7267df71bfc6212d0938a.jpg
d8790a28fa310cf87116785f12c32886.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Why didn't you put the ladder off the side? You are asking for a lump on the head with that ladder arrangement so you can open your rear door.

gseim

Cool. Can you show us what the floor/top panels are made of. Wondering how their panel durability is compared to the Tepui which will dent up if you stand on it.

F40

Adventurer
Cool. Can you show us what the floor/top panels are made of. Wondering how their panel durability is compared to the Tepui which will dent up if you stand on it.

Floor is the same at Tepui/CVT. Gen 1 tents had aluminum sheeting for the floors. It dented less maybe? Been a while since I looked at mine.

Last edited:

C.L.H

Why didn't you put the ladder off the side? You are asking for a lump on the head with that ladder arrangement so you can open your rear door.
Not sure What you mean? I'm 6'4“ and I am able to walk under the ladder with ample clearance when the ladder is raised as shown in the picture.
I am however reluctantly planning to change the orientation to a side mount like you were saying but because with the annex I purchased the spare tire sticks out much too far into the annex room. I'm planning to mount a Jerry can on the back of the spare tire which would take up even more room. The reason I say reluctantly is because most of the campsites in California are situated where you back in and on both sides of your car there is almost always a tree/table separating you from the next campsite. Changing my ladder or tent orientation to a side mount will make it harder to park in most campsites out here and put the ladder down. More than likely I'll be climbing up through trees. LOL

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Not sure What you mean? I'm 6'4“ and I am able to walk under the ladder with ample clearance when the ladder is raised as shown in the picture.

I was just thinking it looks precarious, bump the support and it might fall and whop the noggin. I do understand the back in site thing though, I recently had one and it would have been easier if I could have come off the rear. I managed but only because I had some room off the sides.

Before you get the annex, I must warn you, unless it's a newer design mine is very unhandy as the ladder and annex entrance interfere with each other. They may have revised the design by now but if you can look and see if they have before you commit. They very well may have but another concern is getting an old version if they did.

Here is mine with the annex installed (only time I've had it installed actually...) The ladder is INSIDE the door. So to use the ladder the annex must be open (and let bugs, blown rain, etc in.) To use the annex closed, you have that ladder in your way to get in and out.

K9an1VmDQztb1cHXmHEcDSKW7PqutEOMAARRjaGgD3KRPgRWxLEnHqJCPwfjSX5yrMQ5HX2pSe9d3qI7_gx_y_Sv_7P56m4XsWWiFJPc7DONTb3YuKfoFXNqwq8adr_0AAbpAhQM7gX4I_zWKQrVmp5anJcsuPZeW_gDSaoz4WKPVFfBeGZUqbbnMC8mvl5LT20RsnlJxrQG68hKszmO_CEin4IEWSPVj_4jMqtSmUPBJ4fcstW-giR3NTf6bHr9DfaNAdYZ-W-Nlclxm99OktRG2lB-UbbhNcYgoMwZ6VpdGl8J1LpUwPRj45YZf_5aU88agSrxet7qeWeszsDFnuvV9NkTmluXXmvkFjlSYhkNbE9KmQ2b1QerZBORDMvS3y98MdUbeTCJmtgyLFBoi4tO2J1QjS11bkH3bJR2G5bAJQhI7JIx0i2klhXmtlgiTOr3hxHY9SSFzyN7vkhL0LZIJ5Cw-9sUrDNd9cKALeYhLt1UCCpfgyXDqnm2sNbEERj1d__LxGVnsT0nkL-JA8tcHa8hti79jcuQJGg7Tz2cwzFTPX6xfr_pmC5SxvHZSc-5ZqAaVPoVz7tLnjdBh7F09dKYf3vu6Ywjlw6evcwaYIccSrcZnLk84zy0VhGzzINlmwsnUz1N-h5fEhl_Lt9ruV3eBLYulOW3VTI1oKjt5g=w1192-h895-no

C.L.H

I was just thinking it looks precarious, bump the support and it might fall and whop the noggin. I do understand the back in site thing though, I recently had one and it would have been easier if I could have come off the rear. I managed but only because I had some room off the sides.

Before you get the annex, I must warn you, unless it's a newer design mine is very unhandy as the ladder and annex entrance interfere with each other. They may have revised the design by now but if you can look and see if they have before you commit. They very well may have but another concern is getting an old version if they did.

Here is mine with the annex installed (only time I've had it installed actually...) The ladder is INSIDE the door. So to use the ladder the annex must be open (and let bugs, blown rain, etc in.) To use the annex closed, you have that ladder in your way to get in and out.

K9an1VmDQztb1cHXmHEcDSKW7PqutEOMAARRjaGgD3KRPgRWxLEnHqJCPwfjSX5yrMQ5HX2pSe9d3qI7_gx_y_Sv_7P56m4XsWWiFJPc7DONTb3YuKfoFXNqwq8adr_0AAbpAhQM7gX4I_zWKQrVmp5anJcsuPZeW_gDSaoz4WKPVFfBeGZUqbbnMC8mvl5LT20RsnlJxrQG68hKszmO_CEin4IEWSPVj_4jMqtSmUPBJ4fcstW-giR3NTf6bHr9DfaNAdYZ-W-Nlclxm99OktRG2lB-UbbhNcYgoMwZ6VpdGl8J1LpUwPRj45YZf_5aU88agSrxet7qeWeszsDFnuvV9NkTmluXXmvkFjlSYhkNbE9KmQ2b1QerZBORDMvS3y98MdUbeTCJmtgyLFBoi4tO2J1QjS11bkH3bJR2G5bAJQhI7JIx0i2klhXmtlgiTOr3hxHY9SSFzyN7vkhL0LZIJ5Cw-9sUrDNd9cKALeYhLt1UCCpfgyXDqnm2sNbEERj1d__LxGVnsT0nkL-JA8tcHa8hti79jcuQJGg7Tz2cwzFTPX6xfr_pmC5SxvHZSc-5ZqAaVPoVz7tLnjdBh7F09dKYf3vu6Ywjlw6evcwaYIccSrcZnLk84zy0VhGzzINlmwsnUz1N-h5fEhl_Lt9ruV3eBLYulOW3VTI1oKjt5g=w1192-h895-no
Yes! Funny you should mention that because I spent the entire last month going back and forth with them over at Smittybilt. I already own the annex and mine was supposed to be one of the newer design where the ladder comes over top of a window not a door. On my Annex they moved the door to the side. When I got the annex I was a bit confused because I had not expected that change. But in the process of changing the cut it wrong and the annex was defective and would not fit zip on or go around the ladder. After a few weeks of back-and-forth and sending multiple pictures to Smittybilt they just sent me a new annex last week. I have not had a chance to put it together will do so next Wednesday. But I can confirm that they are shipping the new annex with the ladder over the window. This is the defective Antics they sent me. I replied to them saying am I supposed to walk on the window screen to get into my tent. They told me no that I was supposed to take it outside of the window screen which makes no sense as it does not work.
ae53b67cfab8a500eab8a9f6eb78a64c.jpg
ab747181e5ad60db3d661d30fe32c3f8.jpg

C.L.H

As for the ladder being raised.. I drilled a half inch hole into the base of the ladder which is where the pole sticks into.. the only way that thing is going to move is if you hit it with your car. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles