Smittybilt Overland XL RTT-New product.

afbond03

Adventurer
What size trailer is that and what rack setup are you using? It looks like it’s tracks that allow you to raise and lower the tent.
Off the top of my head, it is around 6'x4'. The rack is a Thule Xsporter Rack, you are correct it allows me to raise and lower the tent. I can lower it down to fit it in the garage and then raise it up to slide my kayak between the tent and trailer. Additionally, I found I can use the rack to get the tent leveled instead of having to try to level the trailer itself. Great rack, worth the money.

Not sure where to post this but for those with a smittybuilt Rtt, although everything that I have experienced is way and above par, be careful with the usb dc plug that comes with them with the little double USB adapter. Never used them before but on both of mine I had one that went up in smoke and the other get really hot and it finally failed. On the 12v accesorio plug, one would blow fuses immediately after activating. Found when I took it apart that the positive tab was bent and touching the ground tab. After even further inspection, looks like the wire they used to make this is circuit size, probably like 22 awg, and definitely not made to carry the load of the led lights and something like a phone charger hooked up to the 2nd usb. Solved issue by getting a heavy duty plug
3cdd85f0be1e82669cae8250d2faf5a3.png

And a usb hub

d92f2408ace1d83583a077d10ba2da9d.png

www.yellowskeeter.com

GasPowered

Just bought the Overlander XL for $700 shipped on ebay.
($799-$100 coupon)
At $700 shipped to my door, I couldn't pass this up. Any comparably sized tent would be $500 more. I'm really looking forward to it!

Cheers

Cowboycove

Just bought the Overlander XL for $700 shipped on ebay.​
($799-$100 coupon)​
At $700 shipped to my door, I couldn't pass this up. Any comparably sized tent would be $500 more. I'm really looking forward to it!​
Cheers​
I hope you didn't buy the replacement matress. I see the only thing on eBay for 799. One screen says it's the Smittybilt xl. When you click on more info it then says mattress. I think they need to update their posting. I emailed the seller and he confirmed it was just for the mattress. IDK who would even pay 799 just for a mattress. But hope you didn't get dooped . Amazon has it from 4 wheel parts for 880 or so. I'll be grabbing that soon.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
So it seems everyone loves the Overlander XL tent. My only complaint I’m hearing about it and it’s not from everyone but there does seem to be quite a few that don’t love the ladder. Has anyone tried to replace their ladder with the telescoping ladder? Just curious if it would work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rudee13

So it seems everyone loves the Overlander XL tent. My only complaint I’m hearing about it and it’s not from everyone but there does seem to be quite a few that don’t love the ladder. Has anyone tried to replace their ladder with the telescoping ladder? Just curious if it would work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not sure what the complaints are about the ladder but it's fine. Not sure what an upgrade would be or what it would accomplish. IIRC, i have read that rungs can be hard on bare feet? Maybe a little padding of some sort for bare feet?
I did buy some skid tape but haven't applied it to the rungs.
Its plenty sturdy for everything i have put it thru. I did have to drill new stop holes for the height of my trailer mount.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GasPowered

I hope you didn't buy the replacement matress. I see the only thing on eBay for 799. One screen says it's the Smittybilt xl. When you click on more info it then says mattress. I think they need to update their posting. I emailed the seller and he confirmed it was just for the mattress. IDK who would even pay 799 just for a mattress. But hope you didn't get dooped . Amazon has it from 4 wheel parts for 880 or so. I'll be grabbing that soon.

You're correct. I did order the "replacement mattress".
I really didn't look at the description closely when I ordered. I was a little worried for a bit, but the fine print stated "you are ordering the part number listed, please check the manufacturer's catalog". Well, the part number listed was 2883, which is the Overlander XL tent in the Smittybuilt catalog. There is no part number listed for bedding.
Ten days later I received a new in the box Overlander XL tent at my house and it's in the garage now waiting for me to mount it on my trailer. $699!!!

Cheers

Note: It was dropped shipped directly from Smittybuilt. The seller's description needs updating.

Cowboycove

You're correct. I did order the "replacement mattress".
I really didn't look at the description closely when I ordered. I was a little worried for a bit, but the fine print stated "you are ordering the part number listed, please check the manufacturer's catalog". Well, the part number listed was 2883, which is the Overlander XL tent in the Smittybuilt catalog. There is no part number listed for bedding.
Ten days later I received a new in the box Overlander XL tent at my house and it's in the garage now waiting for me to mount it on my trailer. $699!!!

Cheers

Note: It was dropped shipped directly from Smittybuilt. The seller's description needs updating.
Can you provide me the link for the item and seller?

ZREM

Observer
Thanks all for almost 2 years of insight into this RTT. I've been eyeing it for a number of months and trying to decide if this is the right purchase for me. We camp in a small Jayco travel trailer about 20 nights a year, but are planning a few trips in the coming years where we don't want to tow the camper.

I try to be pragmatic with my purchases, buying high quality/top brands for items that really matter, and finding less expensive options for items that will see less use. After reading through this thread, I'm feeling more comfortable than ever pulling the trigger on the Smittybilt. I need a true 4 person RTT, and at 1/2 the price of the competition, this seems to make sense.

Amazon is at $839 now - not as cheap as the Black Friday deals, but still - that's a great price.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01E6RD...olid=3G84KTD08PARN&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Cowboycove

Thanks all for almost 2 years of insight into this RTT. I've been eyeing it for a number of months and trying to decide if this is the right purchase for me. We camp in a small Jayco travel trailer about 20 nights a year, but are planning a few trips in the coming years where we don't want to tow the camper.

I try to be pragmatic with my purchases, buying high quality/top brands for items that really matter, and finding less expensive options for items that will see less use. After reading through this thread, I'm feeling more comfortable than ever pulling the trigger on the Smittybilt. I need a true 4 person RTT, and at 1/2 the price of the competition, this seems to make sense.

Amazon is at $839 now - not as cheap as the Black Friday deals, but still - that's a great price.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01E6RD...olid=3G84KTD08PARN&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I just ordered the Amazon deal too. Delivered tomorrow in the rain. Free deliver no tax. I tried hopping on the black Friday deal but 4wheel.com had some sort of glitch so I couldn't get it with the 10% off. Figured at 1/2 to 1/3 of the price to comparable sized competition you can't beat it up and get a new one and still be out the same amount . Now I just have to wait for eBay discount to get the annex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles