Smittybilt Overland XL RTT-New product.

Phessor

So far I have enjoyed mine, I haven't used the annex yet, but soon I hope. I have some military training in Flagstaff next week. Maybe I can swing over to Overland Expo WEST.20180411_083616.jpg20171127_155544.jpg

afbond03

Adventurer
Picked up a trailer a few weeks back and got the tent off my Jeep. I've only got about 6 nights in my Smittybilt but so far I've been pretty darn happy with my purchase. I've owned two Tepui's and 1 direct from China Hard Shell and gotta say, this is a GREAT bang for your buck if your looking for a larger RTT. I just ordered the Annex tonight, not sure how much I'll use it as I hated putting mine away when I had my Tepui Autana, hopefully now having a trailer with space to store things the Annex will get used more.

Attachments

• JeepandTent.jpg
    JeepandTent.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 82
Hey guys, my tent is to be delivered tomorrow or the next day, but I'm wondering about mattresses. I see some of you tossed a memory foam topper/replaced it all together.

What is the thickest size I could go with? Either adding the foam on top, or just replacing the mattress all together? I've got my eye on a 4" one, but didn't want to go for it if it's "better" to use a thinner mattress topper on top of the smittybilt one?

Obviously comfort is pretty subjective, but looking to see what could fit!

Varano14

Hey guys, my tent is to be delivered tomorrow or the next day, but I'm wondering about mattresses. I see some of you tossed a memory foam topper/replaced it all together.

What is the thickest size I could go with? Either adding the foam on top, or just replacing the mattress all together? I've got my eye on a 4" one, but didn't want to go for it if it's "better" to use a thinner mattress topper on top of the smittybilt one?

Obviously comfort is pretty subjective, but looking to see what could fit!

I added a 3in memory foam I picked up on amazon. That plus the factory pad is extremely comfortable for me(a side sleeper). Your experience may differ.

Worth noting is with both of them it is difficult to close the tent. I was able to close it for transportation but I was concerned I had to force it too much so while storing the tent I have the topper in a large duffle. This may be overly cautious but storing it outside isn’t an issue. On the next trip I plan on testing it with just the 3in topper to see if I can ditch the smitty mattress and keep everything in the tent.

I added a 3in memory foam I picked up on amazon. That plus the factory pad is extremely comfortable for me(a side sleeper). Your experience may differ.

Worth noting is with both of them it is difficult to close the tent. I was able to close it for transportation but I was concerned I had to force it too much so while storing the tent I have the topper in a large duffle. This may be overly cautious but storing it outside isn’t an issue. On the next trip I plan on testing it with just the 3in topper to see if I can ditch the smitty mattress and keep everything in the tent.

Hmm, this is basically what I wanted to hear. I'm trying to keep everything self contained (pillows/sheets/topper) so it sounds like a 3in+2.5in factory one might be too much. I wonder how a 4" (and no factory pad) with sheets/pillows would do?

That's the other thing, did you leave pillows/sheets/sleeping bag in there?

Varano14

Hmm, this is basically what I wanted to hear. I'm trying to keep everything self contained (pillows/sheets/topper) so it sounds like a 3in+2.5in factory one might be too much. I wonder how a 4" (and no factory pad) with sheets/pillows would do?

That's the other thing, did you leave pillows/sheets/sleeping bag in there?

I only had the two pads and a sheet which is basically nothing. Again it did close but it took me leaning on it to compress the topper I added and to be safe I left it out for storage. I think the issue was the memory foam was fairly firm so it took a good bit of force to compress it with a less firm foam you might have an easier time with it.

I only had the two pads and a sheet which is basically nothing. Again it did close but it took me leaning on it to compress the topper I added and to be safe I left it out for storage. I think the issue was the memory foam was fairly firm so it took a good bit of force to compress it with a less firm foam you might have an easier time with it.

Hmm, maybe a 2" will do it then, since you figure folded in half that saves me 2 inches from your setup.

I guess pillows may be unreasonable-my wife has about 900 that go with us on every trip, so other than a storage container strapped to the roof I don't think we'll ever have "enough room for the pillows"

been working on the tent/rack the past few days. I got the rack about 90% figured out, I was gonna do a fancy hinged system so I could get stuff under the tent, but the truck is wide enough to push the tent to one side and still have room on the other to get things in/out of the truck bed.

Also put the ladder on, would have been direct bolt on if the drunk 4 year old who drilled the holes hadn't done them incorrectly. They weren't close at all lol.

As far as the mattress issue, I've got about 3 that I'm going between on amazon that are 2 inch thick with decent reviews. All in all, they're around 80-120, so even if I end up hating it or swap it out I can give it to one of the kids without too much regret. The wife is pregnant right now and our first trip with the tent is 2 weeks away, so I need something in there to avoid complaints/not get murdered in the woods.

g0ld3n

How far apart are the runners where the tent mounts to the rack? Is there just two? I see some places mentioning that it needs additional support on the end that hangs off the truck is that correct?

I have a 2014 Kia Sorento with factory rails that are rated @ 220lbs from what I understand the tent is less than this. Would it work to mount the XL to these bars as is? The bars look like this:
1528835219547.png
and the antenna would be removed.

Last edited:

rudee13

The tent rails center to center are 32.5" apart. the tent weights 150lbs. the ladder supports the unfolded half of tent when opened. not sure your factory rack will be enough when you consider the weight of persons when using the tent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Varano14

You also might run into an issue with the bars not being parallel enough to the ground if they a curved to fit the roof. It’s hard to tell from the picture you posted if that will be the case. Also to consider is the length of the tent, it was something that surprised me as it takes up all but about 6in of my Gobi rack.

g0ld3n

Picked up the XL at local 4 Wheel Parts they confirmed it will work just fine with two rails and two cross bars. Going to mount it up on Saturday will post pictures for any one curious about how these look on a Kia

TexasIsHome

Should be selling my 2783 today. If that sells, I will be looking for a 2883, looks like it's $1099 everywhere currently. Was hoping there would be some father's day sales going on, but nothing yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles