Smittybilt Overland XL RTT-New product.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I have a 900 dollar , 10 year old Mombassa "Economy special" that is getting along just fine. Spent literally hundreds of nights in it so far. Has the EXACT same crappy mattress as my much newer 3000 dollar James Baroud tent. I say go for the Smittybuilt man! More money for gas. :)

I've got the same one "Car Top Tent.com" tent. It is MASSIVE! I have tweeked it a bit to my liking and it is rolling along just fine. IT's HUGE!

tommyp

I believe they don't want people mounting them to the Smittybilt JKU racks.
20160909_112943_zpsimxlzxpo.jpg

I got an email back and they stated it was because of the weight.

Due to the fact that any hardware or structure used to mount the tent to the roof of the vehicle would have to be capable of bearing the weight of the tent and it's occupants in total. The tent itself weighs roughly 160lbs and has a total weight capacity pf 770lbs, so a total of about 930lbs that needs to be supported and evenly distributed across the top of that roof some how....

I think I will make a bit of an exocage off the rear bumper to add some support.

Last edited:

rudee13

I bought the smittybilt XL last week from my local 4wheelparts in Charlotte. Tent, tax and 3 year extreme warranty (tear it up and we'll replace it) out the door under $1300.
I mounted it on a trailer and will post pics of my set up soon.
Regarding the annex, this is straight from the manager today, April 19.
"Currently the annex for the XL tent is not yet available and no definite release date for it so usually that means it’s still in the R&D phase. We get updates via webinar meetings from Smittybilt once or twice a month so we’ll know as soon as it’s available."
So the annex 2888 that is showing up at various onlines sites is bogus. The manager is going to let me know as soon as he gets more information on its release.
Love the tent, btw. its huge, well constructed and for the advertised price + 3 yr warranty, its hard to beat. The warranty cost me $90.
I'll post more when I get everything in order on my set up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I bought the smittybilt XL last week from my local 4wheelparts in Charlotte. Tent, tax and 3 year extreme warranty (tear it up and we'll replace it) out the door under $1300.
I mounted it on a trailer and will post pics of my set up soon.
Regarding the annex, this is straight from the manager today, April 19.
"Currently the annex for the XL tent is not yet available and no definite release date for it so usually that means it's still in the R&D phase. We get updates via webinar meetings from Smittybilt once or twice a month so we'll know as soon as it's available."
So the annex 2888 that is showing up at various onlines sites is bogus. The manager is going to let me know as soon as he gets more information on its release.
Love the tent, btw. its huge, well constructed and for the advertised price + 3 yr warranty, its hard to beat. The warranty cost me $90.
I'll post more when I get everything in order on my set up.

If you are mounting on a trailer are you going to use the Annex anyway? or are you mounting the tent up high anyway?

rudee13

I may also mount on fj as well according to where I'm going, in that case I would use an annex. My trailer mount is about 5.5' off ground.

fjmario

Adventurer
I'm stuck between this tent and one of the Tepui models.
You cant beat the price of $1200 for this XL version when comparing it to other brands but what I really want is an annex with floor that encloses the ladder. That was you can still climb up without having to open the annex like the smaller Overlander version of this tent.

horrocks007

My wife gave the go-ahead to purchase a roof top tent. Thinking I'll go with this one along with the annex. Happy to hear people are liking theirs. We are just looking for a fun way to camp together as a family, and can't afford the travel trailer yet.

I already have an ARB Awning and Gobi rack on my jeep, so excited to get one of these!

rudee13

My wife gave the go-ahead to purchase a roof top tent. Thinking I'll go with this one along with the annex. Happy to hear people are liking theirs. We are just looking for a fun way to camp together as a family, and can't afford the travel trailer yet.

I already have an ARB Awning and Gobi rack on my jeep, so excited to get one of these!
Remember this thread is about the smittybilt XL and the annex is not available yet. If you are looking at the smaller tent there are some deals going on now if you look around.

rudee13

Yes, I just purchased the XL and it is huge for an RTT. Plenty big for family of 4. Hopefully the annex is coming soon. You would think since smittybilt already has the annex for the original smaller tent the XL version wouldn't be an issue. We really like ours and the cheap add on warranty is a great peace of mind to boot for hitting the trails and a great bang for the buck. Have fun and enjoy!

horrocks007

Yes, I just purchased the XL and it is huge for an RTT. Plenty big for family of 4. Hopefully the annex is coming soon. You would think since smittybilt already has the annex for the original smaller tent the XL version wouldn't be an issue. We really like ours and the cheap add on warranty is a great peace of mind to boot for hitting the trails and a great bang for the buck. Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks for the input. I placed my order today. I am hoping they have that annex somewhere I can buy soon. Looking forward to testing it out very soon!

horrocks007

I called around and found out the annex was "discontinued." So I am guessing that smitty is not moving forward with the sale of the annex? I wonder if they will even discontinue the tent. I can't believe they make much money on it anyway at that price point.

I am might buy a tepui annex and see if it fits ($120 on their site). I'd be tempted to spend the extra bucks on the tepui tent, but they are out of stock, and twice the price is a hard sell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles