Smittybilt Overland Hardtop for Jeep JK

TexasSpeedRacer

I was looking at the photos posted from from Day Three of the Overland Expo on the Expedition Portal main page. About half way down the page here is a Silver Jeep JKU with Smittybilt on the hood along with their black XRC fenders. Does anyone have any info on this top?

It doesn't appear to be modular like JScherb's, but is taller and a bit more squared off...at least it appeared to be. Any info would be great, not sure if I personally like it yet, but would like to know more.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

TSR

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was looking at the photos posted from from Day Three of the Overland Expo on the Expedition Portal main page. About half way down the page here is a Silver Jeep JKU with Smittybilt on the hood along with their black XRC fenders. Does anyone have any info on this top?

It doesn't appear to be modular like JScherb's, but is taller and a bit more squared off...at least it appeared to be. Any info would be great, not sure if I personally like it yet, but would like to know more.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

TSR

They were showing it at SEMA last November, I took these photos there. It isn't modular, it's one piece. At the show the perso I talked to said it was ready for production, but since then I haven't seen any evidence of it being available for sale.

Commando1_zpsbza2p2bl.jpg

Commando2_zpsxhreanaa.jpg

Commando3_zpspenyhugg.jpg

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Problem is that it's made by Smittybilt. In recent years, they don't have the best reputation for the quality of their products. Personal experience with them, my nerf steps by them work fine especially for the price I paid but my old GEAR covers and overhead console I had by them were crap and a total waste of money. No doubt that the top looks cool though! Just don't trust it's manufacturer:)

Mitch502

Explorer
Problem is that it's made by Smittybilt. In recent years, they don't have the best reputation for the quality of their products. Personal experience with them, my nerf steps by them work fine especially for the price I paid but my old GEAR covers and overhead console I had by them were crap and a total waste of money. No doubt that the top looks cool though! Just don't trust it's manufacturer:)

I've heard enough mixed reviews on their stuff to stay away...especially thing you HAVE to rely on...like recovery gear.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I've heard enough mixed reviews on their stuff to stay away...especially thing you HAVE to rely on...like recovery gear.

Yep. I've seen two of their winches fail new out of the box while while on a small trip to an ORV park last year.

I feel like there is every reason to be afraid that they might forget to drill the holes or whatever to mount this top to the OEM hardware.

Septu

Explorer

Add in the fact that there's no additional functionality to it (other than some mostly useless windows and an extra couple of inches of head space) and you'll pay a premium for it, while limiting your options for a roof rack (should you ever go there).

Personally, I think they look neat... but have almost zero practical usage. And are made by a company with a meh rep at best for their products.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Add in the fact that there's no additional functionality to it (other than some mostly useless windows and an extra couple of inches of head space) and you'll pay a premium for it, while limiting your options for a roof rack (should you ever go there).

That's what surprised me about it when I saw it at SEMA - no additional functionality at all. They installed RV-style windows in the side, but they're fixed windows, non-opening. Why didn't they install opening windows? The rear wall is super tall, but the hatch is the same height as the factory hatch. Could have been bigger for more cargo access, or it could have been a barn door. And no provision for a roof rack. Not to mention it's one piece so it would be a real challenge to remove and store.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
That's what surprised me about it when I saw it at SEMA - no additional functionality at all. They installed RV-style windows in the side, but they're fixed windows, non-opening. Why didn't they install opening windows? The rear wall is super tall, but the hatch is the same height as the factory hatch. Could have been bigger for more cargo access, or it could have been a barn door. And no provision for a roof rack. Not to mention it's one piece so it would be a real challenge to remove and store.

Kind of ironic considering Smittybilt has always targeted the budgeted Jeepers for something cheap and "practical". Truth be told, imagine if it wasn't a one piece and/or had places for cargo access. I can only imagine the material quality and functionality matching their reputation.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Those interior photos are tantalizing - it's screaming to move the roll bar even further out of the way than I did to really open up the inside!

-Dan

carlo muro

In the '70s Shi*tybuilt was top notch. Once your reputation slides it's damn hard to get it back.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Comparing these two images, it seems the new hardtop is derived from the current Smittybilt product. Same rear hatch, same windows, so they probably took one of their current hardtops, modified it to have the raised roof, and made a new mold from that.

Commando7_zpskanuyriz.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94