smittybilt hilift jack

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Everyone on this site seems pretty good about judging productions objectively without getting all caught up in brand name. I bought a smittybilt trail jack it was really cheap it was a christmas deal, and i had a gift card and stuff the quality seems decent and its not like their complicated. What do you guys think about these trail jacks? anyone have any experience with them? If its going to be dangerous or something ill just get rid of it and buy a hi lift but id rather not since i wont use it that much i dont think because i have a winch and thats what i usually use first.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Nothing wrong with it. Biggest difference (to the Hi-Lift) is the non removable handle.

They are also known as 'farm jacks', I have 3 at the cabin, and use them quite a bit.

Some are stamped steel, where the newer Hi-lifts have cast parts, which hold up better in the long run.

That said, we have 2 stamped steel ones we use, and I've rebuilt both more than once (the Hi-Lift rebuild kit fits them)

Should serve you fine as a trail jack.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
good to hear, and for the price couldnt really beat it. Just hard to get past the people the only care about brand name and dont actually look into any product.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Looks like the SB comes in 54" which is in between the HL 48" or 60" so I guess that's a good feature(couldn't find a HL or jackall in 54" but perhaps they do?). Looks like the new ones have removable handles as well. Anyone know if the SB will accept all the typical HL repair parts and accessories? That would be a plus.

When it comes to something like a winch, I can see why someone might choose a unit like SB over a Warn or SW, especially when it's not going to be used much. The price difference is so large that it might make sense for someone and I can see that appeal. A piece of equipment like this though...the price difference is so small that I don't really see a benefit in taking a chance. For me, the $20 or $30 extra is worth it for a proven product (Hilift or Jackall). Just my two cents and in the end the SB is probably just fine.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
A genuine Hi-Lift (48") is only $50 at my local Fleet Farm...not sure I'd worry about saving a few bucks on that item. But if someone gave me a Smittybilt jack I wouldn't turn them down...

BurbanAZ

Explorer
yea that was my issue was that they werent too far off on price but with everything off i got the SB for 20 something bucks. The nice thing about that is that if i decide that i dont trust it or worry about it ill just go buy a hi lift and leave the SB in my garage since these trail jacks have so many uses im sure i could use it in the garage.

The only farm jack I've ever seen fail was a big red torin it folded in half under the weight of a TJ that was almost stock. Most the Smittybuilt stuff seems pretty good quality though.

Glenyoshida

Search tools will find you some old threads...

If you've had a Smittybilt Trail Jack for a while what do you think of it now? We're kicking around the idea of making and selling some rock slider adapters for this jack (the model 2722) but if the jack falls short of expectations then maybe it's not worth the time and effort to machine and weld some up. What are your thoughts?

91AzXJ

Adventurer
I've had the SB 54" jack for about 5 years and used it for all kinds of things. I do keep it in my garage when not on the trail so it doesn't see the weather extremes on a daily basis but I've been very happy with it. Even used it for removing fence posts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles