Smittybilt 6' Awning

mp_tx

Observer
Thanks for the link--just bought the other one at $166 to try out. Could not pass up at that price with shipping included.

edit: look like they jumped up to $199 now.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I called smittybilt about that last summer they told me its specifically for jeeps

I'd like to see one up close to see if it could be mounted universally with some tinkering

tarditi

Explorer
I called smittybilt about that last summer they told me its specifically for jeeps

I'd like to see one up close to see if it could be mounted universally with some tinkering

They must mean horizontal length is ideal for jeeps - there is no way to mount this on a stock jeep - you would need some sort of rack to attach it to.

D

Deleted member 48574

Design-wise, they look extraordinarily similar to my ARB awning so I imagine this can be attached to any vehicle with a rack with minimal tinkering.

Does the 166 price come with mounts? The ARB did not, so you either had to pay extra to get them or design your own. I'd be interested in a proper side-by-side comparison too if anyone is in the neighborhood of another awning type -- how good is the fabric, how thick the aluminum, how sturdy the poles, etc.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Smittybuilt is smart, they are finally starting to offer affordable products like RTT's. They are starting to broaden into everything.

exporunner

As far as I know it does not include mounts though I've read a few place about people using metal L brackets from hardware store to mount it on the side of my roof rack. I'll be using it heavily this coming summer on a cross country road trip so I'll be sure to post back eventually with how it holds up.

IMG_5587.jpg

D

Deleted member 48574

That's exactly how I mounted my ARB, Exporunner. The ARB awning has two slots in the mounting track with bolts in them. The tracks are captive, so you slide the bolts in, attach the bolts to your mounting system (in my case, L-Brackets from Canadian Tire), and then use a nylock to secure it. My mounting for my awning cost me around $20 bucks as I recall, which is far cheaper than the available aftermarket options.

If that's the case on the Smittybilt it should mount to any roofrack fairly easily.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
That's exactly how I mounted my ARB, Exporunner. The ARB awning has two slots in the mounting track with bolts in them. The tracks are captive, so you slide the bolts in, attach the bolts to your mounting system (in my case, L-Brackets from Canadian Tire), and then use a nylock to secure it. My mounting for my awning cost me around $20 bucks as I recall, which is far cheaper than the available aftermarket options.

If that's the case on the Smittybilt it should mount to any roofrack fairly easily.

Thanks I might look at these again

D

Deleted member 48574

Thanks I might look at these again

I'll try and get some photos of the ARB and my mounts for you tomorrow. If someone could post up pics of the SB awning too it'd be good for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exporunner

Some pictures of the ARB and mounting would be great! I'll try and get some pictures of the SB when it shows up and I get it squared away on my rack

mp_tx

Observer
Did you get yours? Bastards cancelled my order--said no more were in stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

exporunner

That's a bummer I received mine the other day but it turns out it's an 8' which is little too large for my 4Runner...so I'm trying to figure out what to do with it

gshadow325

That's a bummer I received mine the other day but it turns out it's an 8' which is little too large for my 4Runner...so I'm trying to figure out what to do with it

what year 4 runner you have?

i might be able to "help" you figure out what to do with it. looks like we might be in the same area. SE PA

specifically, im in springfield delco pa

my email/phone number is coming via PM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles