Smash’s Junk in da Trunk.

Dr smash

Problem with putting everything on top of the truck how to get up there to strap it down and such. I struggled by with a over the tire step that was woefully short. What I needed was a collapsible ladder and that is just what I got. Here are a couple pics of how I’m storing it.
1445ee57a5c3c8e071d313c2097b6d5d.jpg
5940028c0c205fee3a60742adbb9333d.jpg
6b603558ef28d9d5837b868b5e4fb99f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WVI

Dr smash

The rear spring pack got some attention. The standard pack I swapped in were out of a 91 public service duty fire chief sub( axle also) 6 leaves with an overload. I took out the overload and stacked 3 more leaves in for a total of 9. Gave it a small boost and some more wheel stuff upon articulation.
1259331f9b148ae74907518cd91a5666.jpg
ed9bef41c736b06533e4f0cd138f917b.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
I like it. Nice collection of stuff. Looks like you are ready for just about anything. Especially like the articulating solar panel, very clever. Are the curved back braces hinged in the middle, or are they sliding with a bolt / wingnut in the middle, I can't tell.

Dr smash

It’s a simple mechanism the just pivots on is flexible enough to bend with the panel.
ec84fb80f9ee15f9de93933534059c8d.jpg

shrineboy

How is the gas can attached to the door and are there any clearance issues when you open the door? Also is it resting on the bumper?

Dr smash

It’s a Fuelpax and uses a Rotopax locking mount that is bolted to the door with nutcerts. It does rest on the bumper so that all the weight is not exclusively on the mount. The can just touches the corner of the body when open and the door is taught on the limit strap.

Dr smash

My thinking behind my approach to an overland vehicle is weight. I didn’t want to do a buildout with cabinets and shelves , water tanks, etc because I daily drive this. That means if I need a 4x8 sheet of plywood I can still fit that in there or a transfer case, transmission, v8 motor it will fit back there still. I can strip all the stuff out of there as well because it’s just bags and containers held up against or resting on lightweight wire shelves. Not having built out water tank and such means no winterizing and the ability to completely prepack for an adventure and then just load up and go. Sometimes I just stop at a local park and bust out a small stove and make coffee and serve some danishes for homeless people that sleep there during the summer. Everyone has a story and I learn from everyone I meet.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looks like some good storage solutions there Mr Smash. If it suits your purposes then you are good to go. Cheers, Chilli... ?

ClovisMan

Observer
Man, you have some creative imagination there! I might have to get one of those collapsible ladders. Where did you get it from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles