Smallest EZ-up

86scotty

Cynic
I'm outfitting a JLU for solo trips and have a garage height problem. I will be working out exterior lighting, outdoor storage and things like an awning some other way than adding ANY height to my Jeep. I have 1" to spare above the stock height of my Jeep so unfortunately no roof rack or regular awning will work for me.

I am thinking of a quick deploy solution like an EZ up or instant canopy I can make room for inside the Jeep for trips and could use it off a side door or rear door depending on coverage requirements for each camp. The added benefit of these is that you can use them away from the Jeep as well.

Anyone got a line on a really light and small one? Cheaply made and easily replaceable are fine, storage is the big hurdle here.

WOODY2

Adventurer
You might investigate the Shady Boy product. It's very compact., I have one on the back of a FlipPac.

86scotty

Cynic
You might investigate the Shady Boy product. It's very compact., I have one on the back of a FlipPac.

Thanks, I am familiar with those. The problem is I don't have anywhere to mount it. This has to be stored in the vehicle and deployed at camp. I won't be putting a rack or anything on the roof due to my garage height. I'm looking for 'ground' solutions, not vehicle mounted.

JackW

Explorer
I've used a couple of the Bus Depot awnings that are sold to VW Bus owners - they clamp onto the rain gutter and come in two sizes. Very sturdy and very compact when folded up.
Here's a picture of the smaller size mounted on my travel trailer. They have optional side panels that attach via velcro strips to enclose the space and are very inexpensive.
My previous on stood up very well to a windstorm and heavy rain at Overland Expo a few years ago.

URE17-005.jpg

Willsfree

Maybe the Kelty Sideroads awning would work for you. Only $130 for a 6x10 outdoor area. Lots of Easy Pop ups were destroyed by the 5 inches of rain and wind. The Kelty is well built and easily shrugged off the storm. Another bonus is a back wall for blocking low sun and side rain. It will fit on the side or rear of most vehicles too. Definitely a game changer for us. Now I won't keep wanting for a high top and be happy to stand outside protected from weather and sun. We'll be adding an outdoor rug now to create a living room kitchen area.

1636908983631.png

86scotty

Cynic
Maybe the Kelty Sideroads awning would work for you. Only $130 for a 6x10 outdoor area. Lots of Easy Pop ups were destroyed by the 5 inches of rain and wind. The Kelty is well built and easily shrugged off the storm. Another bonus is a back wall for blocking low sun and side rain. It will fit on the side or rear of most vehicles too. Definitely a game changer for us. Now I won't keep wanting for a high top and be happy to stand outside protected from weather and sun. We'll be adding an outdoor rug now to create a living room kitchen area.

Thanks, that is probably my second choice so far. I've had rigs with standard (quick setup) awnings for years now so I don't really want to fool with poles but they do pack down a lot better. I'll look at this one a little closer.

Another benefit of an EZ-up style, if I can find one that isn't junk and isn't too big, is that I can put it anywhere off the vehicle (sides, rear or away from rig).

86scotty

Cynic
I've used a couple of the Bus Depot awnings that are sold to VW Bus owners - they clamp onto the rain gutter and come in two sizes. Very sturdy and very compact when folded up.
Here's a picture of the smaller size mounted on my travel trailer. They have optional side panels that attach via velcro strips to enclose the space and are very inexpensive.
My previous on stood up very well to a windstorm and heavy rain at Overland Expo a few years ago.

View attachment 692482

Jack, that is a super cool little trailer. What is it exactly?

JackW

Explorer
A 1995 Eriba Puck that I imported from the UK early last year. They are made in Germany. It's 12' long and weighs around 1000 lbs. They were designed to be towed by Volkswagens and other small cars. It's my third Eriba travel trailer - or caravan as they are called over there. It's the perfect size to tow behind a four cylinder Land Rover.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I love easy ups , the one person setup is great and after you attach a wall or two sideways rain is not a problem and in the snow it keeps in a ton of heat from the fire . I also have a 8x8 I believe cheap one I got at big lots for like 50$ that I still use becasue I don’t care if it gets damaged and it packs down smaller .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles