Smaller camp stoves?

SRN

Adventurer
I'm a pretty die hard Coleman guy myself. I have both a 1980 425 and a ~1962 413. As long as you keep them clean and maintained, they don't die. I've used my 425 forever and it fits great in my kit. But I recently decided to try downsizing a bit and I picked up a Coleman 442 single burner and so far, its been fantastic. I do miss having the dual burners to be able to cook two things at once, but as long as you plan your food appropriately, one burner works out well and it takes up so much less space.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
The slimline Kampa Alfresco 2 burner stove with grill folds down into its own steel case to store virtually anywhere.

Two gas rings and a grill gives some versatility.

Riptide

Explorer
It's funny; when I camp, my cooking ends up being pretty simplistic, so I only ever use one burner anyway. Evaluate how often you really need a second burner; maybe a little backpacking burner would be fine for the few times you actually do, leaving plenty of space for a nice single burner and more prep space (which you can never have too much of!).

It's funny; when I camp, my cooking ends up being pretty simplistic, so I only ever use one burner anyway. Evaluate how often you really need a second burner; maybe a little backpacking burner would be fine for the few times you actually do, leaving plenty of space for a nice single burner and more prep space (which you can never have too much of!).

It really is amazing how many meals only take one burner. I got the Jetboil two-burner Genesis, but I've used both burners maybe twice? (Had it for two and a half years, including 4,000 miles overlanding through Mexico.) And while I'm no chef, I don't consider my meals overly simplistic. ;)

alia176

Explorer
The slimline Kampa Alfresco 2 burner stove with grill folds down into its own steel case to store virtually anywhere.

Two gas rings and a grill gives some versatility.

I've never heard of this brand so I looked it up on Amazon UK and it looks really cool, nothing like I"ve seen in the States. I don't see a wind guard with this stove, may not need it. I'm assuming a LPG 1lb bottle is what most people use with this stove?

On a more generic note, why do the Eureka and GSI stoves cost so much when they're nothing but stamped sheetmetal made in China, like the Coleman units? Having a Piezeoelectric igniter shouldn't bump up the price that much.

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
Another vote for the catering/Asian-style butane/propane single burner. I've been evangelizing these for a while now. I use a dual-fuel Stansport as my main burner, and I have a teeny little Gas One dual-fuel that fits inside my "kitchen kit in a box" for when I need a second burner, or just want to make coffee. Those are 8500 and 7200 BTUs, respectively. GasOne also makes a 15k BTU beastie that's not much bigger, and I've got my eye on that one...

View attachment 586827
I've had a few different stoves over the years. I recently got the gasone 15k. I'm comparison to the trendy overlander stoves the gasone is very cheap. The thing works great.

So another vote for catering/Asian style stove. You can get an adaptor to use large propane bottle also.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

pith helmet

I've had a few different stoves over the years. I recently got the gasone 15k. I'm comparison to the trendy overlander stoves the gasone is very cheap. The thing works great.

So another vote for catering/Asian style stove. You can get an adaptor to use large propane bottle also.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I am waiting on one of these GasOne 15k dual fuel to arrive.

For years I have used the MSR pocket rocket and or an original JetBoil.

I mainly got the GasOne so I could get one of the Korean BBq grill pans to expand the range of my one pot meals. That May or may not workout but I’m sure the stove will.

pith helmet

Another vote for the catering/Asian-style butane/propane single burner. I've been evangelizing these for a while now. I use a dual-fuel Stansport as my main burner, and I have a teeny little Gas One dual-fuel that fits inside my "kitchen kit in a box" for when I need a second burner, or just want to make coffee. Those are 8500 and 7200 BTUs, respectively. GasOne also makes a 15k BTU beastie that's not much bigger, and I've got my eye on that one...

View attachment 586827
I like this briefcase style kitchen box. What’s going on it there? We have some smaller old hard-side suitcases and I had once thought of trying something like that.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

pith helmet

Trying out the Gas One 15k tonight in the ‘home lab’. This thing is great! Though this will be a larger stove for me I think it will be well worth the space.

688B2DA5-1764-41A5-AE83-215E1793100B.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94