Small vs big

98dango

Expedition Leader
What are the advantages and disadvantages of your vans. I currently use a suburban or a super duty. The wife and I have talked about a van for some of the advantages. But what are the advantages of say a f250 van vs a Astro or Arostar van

Eazy

It's not the size of your van, it's what you do with it.

Phallic reference aside, I have both extremes. A "mini" van (2014 Transit Connect) and a "mega" van (1991 G30 EB).

The smaller van is really nice for over night trips with just my girlfriend and myself. We can haul any gear we need, knock down the back seats, and catch some easy rest. It's easier to get in and around big cities and is generally less work to drive.

The bigger van is nice for longer expeditions out into the woods. There's room that we can take coolers, tables, camp stove, firewood, and anything else we could need and still sleep at least 3 adults very comfortably. It goes pretty much anywhere I want it to and I generally don't worry too much about it getting dirty or bumped into. It is a lot more work to drive in town though. It's difficult to park and can get a little hairy to drive through traffic.

jmp81sc

I went from an Astro Van to a Ram Promaster. Medium size to really big.

For me it came down to:
1. how much stuff I needed to take out to set up camp - about the same for both (chairs etc), but with the astro I had to take out an ice chest and water jugs also. With my Promaster I can leave everything inside to sleep, in the Astro I had to take stuff out to make the bed.
2. Setting up to sleep- with the astro I had to convert a bench into a bed - Westy style with not much room in van in bed mode. With the promaster two sleeping areas are set up at all times, bed across the back and 28" wide couch. One person can sleep while the other sits to read.
3. Ability to stand up - none in my old astro - 6'3" head room in the Promaster. You would need a pop top to get that with a smaller van.
4. Ability to get in back without going out - not possible in Astro easy in Promaster.

Driving around town is almost the same, except no parking garages in the Promaster. My fuel mileage and power are better in the Promaster.

Down side is no 4x4 option in promaster.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
A lot of these things have been covered in some other threads but I think you have to want a van to really appreciate and enjoy it. Trucks just don't do anything for me.

For my Astro AWD, I like the amount of cargo space that available inside the vehicle and not exposed to the elements or easily visible. The versatility - I can setup multiple configurations depending on what I'm doing - hauling people (two to six/eight passenger seating), transporting a motorcycle (or two if necessary) or just traveling with gear and have the space to do what I want to with the the ability to hop in the back and rest/sleep without having to exit the vehicle while flying under the radar.

For comparison, an Astro is the same overall length as a Subaru Outback (190") but offers a whopping 100 cu ft more cargo volume (170 vs 73 cubic ft) than the Outback. The Astro fits everywhere cars do and so parking/maneuvering in tighter quarters is not a big deal.

Not the most refined vehicle on the road (at 10+ years old now you wouldn't expect them to be) but they are capable, reliable and cheap enough with a bit of forethought and basic maintenance. Plenty of reasonable methods to modify/upgrade to suit your needs - lift, tires, rear lockers, 2-speed transfer cases, etc.

A lot of it comes down to how much stuff or people you need to bring with you.

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
Stuff 90% of the time it's the wife 2 dogs and me. We routinely fit this in a small area I honestly could get our gear in my samurai with out racks.

The Subaru size is fine it's just uncomfortable car. We do not own just use it from time to time.

Standing up is nice but I also have a 5th wheel is Glamping is on the menu for the weekend.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The big question, what does this rig need to do? If you need to haul 5k lbs, that might limit the choices a bit...

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have no need for soccer mom.

I currently own
2000 f250 5.4 that tows a 5th wheel and runs any where from 32s to 38s depending on the job

92 suburban 5.7 mostly stock

88 samurai lifted locked 31s

87 Comanche lifted locked 35s

84 dodge D350 work truck

67scout filling up shop

(2) 62 f350s stock for now

So I have rigs lots what we want is a road trip rig to go on 4000 mile trips and weekend trips in the back country.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have been looking at a Awd Astro and a pop top. Some thing small to fit where I need. I do worrie about power I would like to tow my samurai at times.

jmp81sc

I really liked my Astro Van, and would have probably bought another one, but all of the ones I saw were beat to death high mileage ones, and very few AWD in Southern California. The newest Astro is now 10 years old. I didn't really feel like dealing with high mileage. The AWD express is the logical replacement if you can find one. Almost none available when I was looking.

If you like projects and tinkering then a lifted Astro or Express with a pop top and interior build out will be a pretty capable rig.

I think the best compromise between big and offroad capabilities are the 4X4 ford e350 conversions. The Ford Transit or Nissan van with a Quigley 4x4 is another option, but were just too expensive for me. I opted for the cheaper, bigger, but less offroad worthy Promaster.

jmp81sc

Should pull a Samurai. I know a guy who tows a Porsche 911 on a trailer to races with an Astro. He says going over Cajon Pass or the Grapevine is pretty slow going, but on the flats no problem.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have towed my old Sam with a 91 s10 just was not sure of the weight power on the van.

I can build just about any thing and in Montana Awd van is not that hard to find

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles