Small portable electric. Cooler

Looking for recommendations for a small electric cooler for the backseat of my truck. Want low draw. Don’t have cig lighter plugs only USB. Ports suuggestions

jonathon

I don’t think what you’re looking for exists. Even USB-C is only 3 amps at 5 volts. Best bet is to add another circuit direct to the battery. Lots of options for 15-20 quart fridges, all are 12v though.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Also, do the requisite reading on electric (peltier) coolers vs compressor fridges - you'll probably decide that even if you did have a proper power hookup, it's not worth the massive power draw for the performance.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Try and see if you can get hold of a Dometic CDF-18 or CF-18 same fridge different name, it runs on 12v/24v but if you want to run it on AC you will need an adapter, Don't bother with electric coolers like the petlier type because the only one that works almost as good as a proper fridge is the Dometic TCX 14, and the TCX35 etc these will cycle like a fridge does which cuts the power draw by about 60% the will cool down to about 30*c below the ambient Temp other than that there is nothing else worth buying, But try and see if you can find a secondhand CDF-/CF-18 at a good price because they are amazing little fridges, I bought one and then I bought one for my brother, Awesome little fridges.

hope that helps.

Last edited:

dreadlocks

I don’t think what you’re looking for exists. Even USB-C is only 3 amps at 5 volts. Best bet is to add another circuit direct to the battery. Lots of options for 15-20 quart fridges, all are 12v though.

actually usb-c power delivery spec allows up to 5A @ 20V for 100W, so in theory USB-C could totally power a DC Fridge no problemo.. however this is never gonna happen anytime soon unless you make it yerself, ignoring that low friction yankable plug such as USB-C would be a terrible idea for a fridge.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I would look at one of the smaller Engels.

I just put my 40L Engel back in the truck and have a 22L arriving this week. I'll use the 22 as a freezer in the truck, but it is 38 lbs. and has a small footprint making it very easy to move to other vehicles in the fleet or inside the cabin as may be needed.

Engels are like the Land Cruisers of fridges.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Engel must be the toughest fridges ever made, I have seen what they look like after they have bounced out of a truck at 60mph and they still worked and their long life makes them a winner, Others might have better figures and features but when it comes to real world usage Engel has it all.

Laps

For the OP: I have an Igloo Thermoelectric cooler, 28 quart, and I only use it when traveling, attached to a 12V outlet in the truck. It works very well, and its currently about $117 on Amazon. I would never consider it a substitute for a compressor fridge.

beakerflo

I am looking to buy an Engel MR040 fridge. But I can find them with an F and without an F in the model designation.
Engel MR040F and Engel MR040. Does anybody know what the difference is between the two? The one without an F is offered around a quarter cheaper, so what am I missing? :)

regards,
Floris with Land Cruiser en Vanagon Syncro.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I am looking to buy an Engel MR040 fridge. But I can find them with an F and without an F in the model designation.
Engel MR040F and Engel MR040. Does anybody know what the difference is between the two? The one without an F is offered around a quarter cheaper, so what am I missing? :)

regards,
Floris with Land Cruiser en Vanagon Syncro.
When they put an "F" on the end of the MRO-40 I think is more of a typing error, The "F" usually applies to the MT Series of friidges IE MT-35F MT-45F MT-60F and the MT-80F etc, But the EU Importer does not bother to add the "F" to the model number of any of the MT series so it's more of a case of and error than anything else, The Only real difference would the part number designating which country a fridge is intended for,

Don't worry the MRO40 /MRO-40F is the same fridge.

If you are worried contact Engel Australia, Ok

Hope that helps. (y)

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Looking for recommendations for a small electric cooler for the backseat of my truck. Want low draw. Don’t have cig lighter plugs only USB. Ports suuggestions

Get over to Phalcon Overland in Vista and pick up one of their 45 liter Bluetooth enabled fridges, it's under $400 bucks. Go to just about any online 4x4 part seller and get a 15-20ft 12v fused cigarette adapter and run it to your battery. All problems solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles