small off road trailer build

screamin

Hey everyone, looking for some feedback regarding a potential small off road trailer build. I picked up a small 4x5ish clamshell trailer cheap. Got the idea from MikeyMagic's build. Thanks to him and everyone on here for all the ideas!

Planning on mounting it to a new frame/axle. I've added some pics of my 3D model with my thoughts regarding design. I've designed the new frame to be larger than the clamshell to allow for mounting of accessories like Jerry cans, etc.

Primary usage is for North Maine Woods camping trips with the family. Need extra gear storage, fuel can holders, etc. Plan on using my JK takeoffs for wheels/tires. Hence the spare shown in the pics. Not sure how to mount that yet. The clamshell isn't rugged enough to support anything heavy mounted to it.

Planning on 2x2 for the frame and 2.5x2.5 for the tongue. Going to extend it to the back for a hitch mount I so I can use a cargo rack or a bike rack for other trips.

trailer model 01.jpg
trailer model 02.jpg
photo 2.JPG

screamin

Yes it will be rugged, but I'm trying to plan for future revisions. I'll eventually want to add a frame for an RTT, and swap out the clamshell for a more standard cargo box.

Also realizing the hinge in the front for the clamshell is not a great design. Limits the use of the tongue area for exterior storage.

screamin

Well the trailer got a bit bigger than initially planned. Here are some pics of the progress. Hoping I havent made too many mistakes along the way. Thanks to a good friend who provided all the welding. Getting out soon to try it out and see how it performs.

IMG_7786.jpg
IMG_7923.JPG
IMG_7926.JPG

screamin

Successful first trip with the new trailer. The maiden trip was a 5 day stint in the North Maine Woods. Trailer handled great. It was nice to spread the gear load out and make the travel much more enjoyable. Takes a lot of stress out of remote camping when you can carry extra fuel as well.

So the initial design is working great. The list of future modifications is rapidly growing...

IMG_7936.jpg
IMG_7939.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles