Small Lightweight Battery, for non connected to tow rig use.

java

Expedition Leader
OK, might be a weird question here:

Trying to keep my trailer light, and simple. But I was thinking it would be nice to have a couple lights and a spot to charge a phone or something. But I don't have a 7 pin, don't have the funds to re wire it, or a place for a big battery. So I was thinking of a small Li-ion or similar that could run a few LED's and a 12V plug, be light weight and when its dead its dead. Throw it on the charger when I get home and call it good. Most of my trip are long weekends, or a week at most. A small battery could be thrown in a ammo box or similar on the tongue.

Am I crazy? Anyone doing something similar?

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
The goal zero stuff is pretty cool. I'm not sure on the weight exactly they seem relatively fair priced to me....there was recently an article on one of their bigger units on the ExPo front page.

There are other smaller 12V batteries out there for motorcycles, ATVs, etc that would probably work for what you're talking about. It would take some substantial additional wiring of fuses and plugs, etc over a ready to go unit like the goal zero but would likely end up being cheaper and maybe lighter but i'm not sure.

Li-ion in general is going to be sort of expensive compared to other batteries.

Glenn D

Observer
I use a jumper battery for the very thing you are thinking about.. it has a USB port, and a 12 v power port, along with a compressor and small light. als has a built in charger, just plug it in to 110 v wall plug to charge... I use 2 Goal Zero Light-O-Life's with it and charge up my phone, GPS and Ham Radio at night... Longest trip was 5 days and it was still going strong at the end of the trip.

And if needed it could have been used to jump start the Jeep if needed... I picked it up at Sam's Club., do not remember the make or model but there are a ton of them out there... just get one with all the plug ins that you may need.... it was like this one from Costco... http://reviews.costco.com/2070/1131...arter-with-air-compressor-reviews/reviews.htm

jays0n

Adventurer
Group 24 marine battery. Small(er), tough and pretty cheap. I have 2 in my trailer and no 7-pin either. I charge them up before a trip and during the trip with solar when I can. You can find a battery box with the hookups, breaker, 12 volt outlets, charge meter, etc. online for fairly cheap and keep all of your power condensed into a single package. Plus chargers for marine batteries are super common and cheap, the new lithium stuff can be tricky to deal with, can't be discharged too much, can't be charged too much, etc. I like the new stuff as well but gonna give it a few more years to "bake" in applications like these before I go that way. Also hopefully the price will come down a bit too.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
It all comes down to capacity. The simple thing would be a jump box that you can charge from a wall plug or the cig plug of the tow vehicle. Now as for price....I bet wiring your tow vehicle and installing a $60 house battery on the trailer would be better and give you 5 times or more the charge capacity for possibly cheaper then a jump box with any sort of decent capacity. Later on you could add an inexpensive solar pannel to extend your off the grid time.

You don't have to go with a 7pin plug you could just add a second plug. It's really not hard to wire. Circuit breaker, wire, battery and a switch would do it.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I have used the power wheels batteries too. They are sealed and safe. I used to easily run the CD player in my daughters wagon all day at car shows off of one charge. I think maybe even a couple days.

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input guys. I like the G24 size Idea. I have a 7 pin on my truck. Just dont want to re-wire the trailer right now. Im thinking this should just wait till I can do it right and have it wired to the truck....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94