Small freezer and Yeti cooler with ice bricks vs Large fridge/freezer

Imager993

Pixel Monkey
Hey all, I am expanding my setup and will be taking my family on some longer trips. I currently have a Yeti Tundra 45 cooler with an interior volume of roughly 30Q and several of their blue ice bricks which keeps things cool for days. I am tempted to find the smallest freezer unit out there, and keep freezing the ice bricks every couple of days to keep the Yeti fridge cold. What does everybody think about this over getting a full fridge/freezer and leaving the Yeti at home? I'm driving an SUV with a trailer, and this setup would go in the truck's trunk.

With the blue ice bricks, I won't have to run the freezer all the time. I'll only turn it on until the ice bricks get cold enough, then move them back over to the cooler. But this method will require more space with the Yeti and an additional freezer. Or, just keep things simple and bite the bullet on a full sized fridge/freezer combo?

If I do go with a separate small freezer, could anybody recommend the smallest unit available which can fit the blue ice bricks? (10 3/4" x 8" x 1 5/8")

Thanks!

dreadlocks

its going to have to run all the time to freeze the packs while the others thaw out, it takes days to freeze stuff, a DC freezer is to keep stuff frozen, they wont get down to negative temps like your home freezer that zaps those things solid in no time.. its going to be an losing game and adding losses for no reason.. smallest freezer out there is still 98% the cost of an appropriate sized fridge, soo for the money its gonna be terrible.

Imager993

Pixel Monkey
Thanks Dreadlocks, that's a good perspective. And yeah I agree, why buy a small freezer for nearly the price of a regular fridge unit. Yeti should make and sell a 12v quick freeze unit that perfectly fits their ice bricks. They'd sell a ton of them.

dreadlocks

For the price of a couple Yeti Buckets your most of the way to a fridge.. let alone their coolers, go craigslist that to some other sucker and get the fridge you want.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have a tundra 50 and an arb 50. there is no comparison between the two. the ARB holds 2x the food the yeti does. I would just bite the bullet get a 50qt arb or dometic. Carry a smaller cooler and if you need to have ice just stop once and awhile to get cubed ice to fill the smaller cooler up. I use a smaller coleman cooler for ice cubes for when we want adult beverages that require ice cubes. If I stuff the coleman choke full of ice it lasts about 3 days. It is nice never having anything soggy. remember things like drinks do not have to be in the fridge all the time just as there is room. It is amazing how much other stuff you can keep properly cooled.

I use the ARB units...however they are a commitment. I like them so much that I’ve installed a second battery in both of my trucks...the total package works really well. The downside is it’s expensive.

dreadlocks

If you want drinking ice, get a large double walled thermos and fill it with ice.. I got like a gallon sized one that holds ice inside my fridge longer than it takes my wife to use it all w/her whiskey.. Ive found ice in there a week later and wife was refilling it at fuel stations before I got her an ice maker.

Same thing for frozen stuff, other than like ice cream you can pre-freeze everything and put it in a small collapsable mylar cooler, pack it at the bottom and that stuff stays frozen for weeks.. Ive been thawing meat on day 15 with fridge set right at freezing.. no need for a Fridge/Freezer combo at all, save the space for food.

Biggest suck about fridges are the power needs, it always spurs upgrades.

Last edited:

Hoooogan

If you can afford a fridge, do it. No need to save space for your ice/ice packs or find a way to refreeze your packs. Temp is adjustable, "can" be run on a single battery (many variables), and size is comparable to similar capacity coolers.

I have a 55qt Canyon cooler and an ARB fridge. I use the cooler maybe a couple times a year if I'm going to party at the lake. Otherwise, the fridge is plenty. You can fit 72 Budweiser's in the 47qt ARB. ??‍♂️

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Thanks everybody, I am now full fridge shopping. :)
I got my ARB 50 on Craigslist for $500 like new. I have seen many more go for similar prices in good condition.
If you can be patient, you can scoop up a good deal. Might have to drive a few hours though.

GPS_Jon

I've had an Engel MT45 with a Two-Zone top on it for over 20 years now. You can put the Engel to full freeze and the top Two-Zone compartment will stay at refrigerator temperatures. I cut a piece of Plexiglas that separates the compartments. For long outings ice isn't a problem. I also carry a Yeti 45.

1592750478260.png

The Two-Zone used to sell in the US but now I see you would probable have to order from Australia. http://www.twozone.com.au/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles