Small Floor Jack?

FJOE

Regular Dude
I'm looking for a small floor jack that I can use in the field. I would ideally remove the wheels and weld it to a piece of flat stock. I am overseas at the moment, so I can't drive to a store an find something comparable to what I would be able to source in the states. Anyone done this? The reason is that I would like to be able to use it in conjunction with tools that I carry on board, so I'm not having to solely rely on the bottle jack that is stock. I will keep that on board too, but would prefer the floor jack for ease and stability. The vehicle is my 1995 T100, stock. would prefer to avoid cheap junk, but am not looking to spend $200.00 either. Thoughts?

dumprat

Adventurer
I have a small floor jack that I use around home. I wouldn't pack it into the bush. To much space for too little use.

A good bottle jack can be handy and the ever present high lift are better options.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Harbor Freight aluminum floor jack, there are some "skid plates" available that replace the wheels with a flat sheet of aluminum under the jack for off road use.

harbor-freight-aluminum-race-jack-with-skid.jpg

But honestly, I would just carry a good bottle jack.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Harbor freight lightweight racing Jack like above has the best reputation. If you ware it out then the universal O-ring kit that they sell has everything you need to rebuild it. I carry the 1.5 ton. You can buy skids and wheels for sand. High strength hold down brackets are available as well for use in desert race trucks and buggies. It's more popular than a hi-lift Jack.

image.jpg

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Toyota makes one of the best mechanical jacks, very little to go wrong and it works in any position. I use the factory jack coupled with a Jack Adapter makes for a much safer set up and no addition room needed.

Attachments

• 100 jack adapter.jpg
    100 jack adapter.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 268

mezmochill

Is outside
Harbor Freight aluminum floor jack, there are some "skid plates" available that replace the wheels with a flat sheet of aluminum under the jack for off road use.

Never seen this before, thanks.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. HF 1.5 ton and DMZ skid on order. This is why I love this forum.
I unscrewed and ditched the side handle to save space and weight. Not much savings but there are better places to grab the Jack from. I guard my blocks of wood from the campfire as well. Over time you get just the pieces you need. Now if I could just find a collapsable jack stand....

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
My Buddys Jack out at Glamis sand dunes this weekend. It's the 2.5 ton with a big wheel kit on it. It rolls around camp and thru the sand nice.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Any info on the big wheel kit?

https://www.kartek.com/parts/10-inc...jacks-does-not-fit-6-inch-wide-floor-jac.html

Seems expensive but it's all industrial quality racing stuff. You could max out the Jack on those wheels. All my buddies use various forms of skids or wheels. Doug uses rims and tires from a mini sprint car that works well and is light. Other guys cobble on Harbor freight stuff but if you do that then the best I've seen runs the tires flat. Build a small skid under each axle. About 2" wide and the width of the axle. As the car goes up the tires squish down until the Jack is resting on the skids. It's rock solid and still rolls around camp well. The 1.5 ton is small and light enough to grab with one hand but the bigger ones are just big and nice enough to benifit from a good wheel kit. So either spend a good bit of time and engineer a right and safe kit or I think this Kartec kit has proven it's self over the years. I'm at Dumont Sand Dunes right now with 19 tow rigs. That Jack will be the one everybody fetches. Actually we get the little tikes to fetch it because it's so cool! The 1.5 is small light enough to grab with one hand but the big one on wheels is the king.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
have you tried a Unijack 6000 all-in-one;it'll be useful on most surfaces

• I didn't know about that Harbor Freight aluminum jack w/skid plate. I could've used it many times in the past. A great idea, and probably much lighter than what I once carried with me.
  • I used to haul a std. floor jack (very heavy) to drag race pits, until I was forced to try to use one where I had to park in an unpaved, muddy field. The jack (resting with two wheels on a 4x4 wood block I carried for my trailer jack) sunk into the muck anyhow, and was useless for my repair effort. After that, I carried a 2'x4' piece of 3/4" plywood (treated) to put on the ground, and roll my jack in under the car. I only used it once more, at a dragstrip, and quit hauling the heavy floor jack around (it was getting too heavy for me -bad back & knees). Getting to the dragstrip early assured parking on hard surfaces, so I was always early to arrive, from that time forward. I still use my 2'x4' plywood platform when I have to lift a vehicle on my sandy (in parts) driveway/parking area.
  • Recently, I learned of the Unijack 6000 all-in-one, a bottle jack mated to a jack stand, sitting on a steel plate. While it may sink into soft mud (unless a wider plate is put under it), I have tried it, as-is on my sandy driveway, and it'll work there. This thread, http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/35801-Changing-a-flat-on-lifted-trucks-tall-bottle-jack-or-hi-lift/page5 contains more info on this jack.
  • Unijack 6000.jpg Unijack 6000; jack, stand, load spreading plate (all-in-one)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles