small fish finder

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
i know this subject has been beaten to death but, i'm ready to pull the trigger on a fish finder on a hobie compass.
been all over the hobie site and they push lowrance for the most part, i don't care one way or the other. i have read quite a bit about screen size
and for the most part people recommend a 5" screen. i realize this topic will be opinion driven but i'm looking for real opinions not product promotions .
thanks

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I had 5" lowrance on Hobie as well, returned it several days later for 7", the bigger screen really helps when you use split screen functions which for me are very helpful. Also I am no longer spring chicken and eyes aren't what they used to be, so that might happen something to do with it.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
it seems more practical with larger screen, however . i don't know why i would want a split screen..?
i think i'm more concerned about water depth than actually identifying fish. maybe i just need a depth finder?

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
it seems more practical with larger screen, however . i don't know why i would want a split screen..?
i think i'm more concerned about water depth than actually identifying fish. maybe i just need a depth finder?

Split screen become more helpful as your comfort level with different screen functions and floor topography increase. When power fishing by banging banks, just a depth screen is fine, but when further out the charting screens, sonar, downscan and others gives great view and understanding of bottom. I am not the best at picking up individual fish but once I see the structure I like I can better target and spend my time in higher percentage areas. The charting abilty keeps you on right line to fish a drop-off for example while sonar on side gives detailed view of underneath. The more I used and learned the feature funtionality the more I used different screens side-by-side.

During winter and mid-summer when most LM Bass are in deeper water the split screens most useful for me.

You can fish with depth finder only and do great, but the other feature on a side-by-side screen really help identify what is under water. Reality is that we can fish with NO electronics at all, electronics are just another tool. somepeople like big toolboxes, others are fine with basics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles