Small chimney start for charcoal

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I'm looking for a small, foldable, quality charcoal chimney for a Snow Peak Single BBQ Box. In my experience it only needs 10 - 14 briquettes to fill it up. The inexpensive chimney I bought from Amazon is very hard to fold/unfold due to warping.

It needs to be small enough to fit inside the SP BBQ when not in use. Has anybody found something small & cool? I'm a big fan of stainless steel. Doesn't need to be inexpensive.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Just make it yourself!

Naw, I'm not a metal-worker. I found one from Uniflame, but I'll have to order it from AU. Not sure what the shipping cost will be...and it's a bit expensive. It does look like it's well made and might fold up better than the el-cheapo that I bought before.

dreadlocks

the technique Ive been using for a while is a small grille ontop of an LP stove, build a lil pyramid ontop of the grille, carry it over to the burner, kick it on for 3-4 mins to get coals going then carry it back to the charcoal fire and add more coal

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
the technique Ive been using for a while is a small grille ontop of an LP stove, build a lil pyramid ontop of the grille, carry it over to the burner, kick it on for 3-4 mins to get coals going then carry it back to the charcoal fire and add more coal

That is a very, very, very good idea. I'll have my sheet-metal working buddy cut me some heavy gage stainless screen, brake up a 1-inch high wall around the edges and make sure it's sized to store in the bottom of the grill.

Then I can place the screen on the Partner and fire it up. Will make it very easy to transfer to the grill too.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I gave it a try today using my grill from the SP grill and it worked. But, it got a little too hot and warped the grill mesh. I think I'll try the Uniflame next to see if it's a good piece of kit since the measurements given appear to be slightly smaller than the inside of my grill.

All I really need is a small folding mesh box that is pretty stout. Maybe 5 x 5 x 8 tall when assembled. I pack two "Ov-gloves" in the git and might be able to get away without handles.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure

Not sure. I checked it out and can't seem to find any specs for when it's folded. I had a model that it similar and found that after it had warped from use the hinges that "fully reverse" when folding are really difficult to deal with (does that make sense? Hard to explain). The triangular versions have a much smaller range of motion for the hinges and I'm hoping that will make them easy.

Laps

The dimensions of the camp maid chimney are: 9" x 5.5" x 2" folded flat, 9" x 5.5" x 6" open.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
The dimensions of the camp maid chimney are: 9" x 5.5" x 2" folded flat, 9" x 5.5" x 6" open.

Wow, that's considerably smaller than the Uniflame (which is about 11 x 7.5 x 1.5). Considerably cheaper too. Maybe I'll try the camp maid one first....thanks!

richxd87

Observer
I have the camp maid chimney and I think it's great! Packs up flat and takes very little room, solid construction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles